The Grouper Sandwich Thread

Wow grouper sandwiches lmao never heard of it.. When we were long lining in Hawaii we would always toss groupers back I guess they weren't exactly prized for their meat,.....Yellow fin on the other hand. .....different story.

oh man, a nice blackened grouper filet with a good smattering of tartar sauce on a soft high quality bun with crispy lettuce, a good beefy tomato and crisp red onion is really special. there are a few places in Orlando that do a good one. pair it with some homemade chips, or sweet potato fries. awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow grouper sandwiches lmao never heard of it.. When we were long lining in Hawaii we would always toss groupers back I guess they weren't exactly prized for their meat,.....Yellow fin on the other hand. .....different story.

Hawaii Grouper is a different fish altogether.

Hawaii Grouper is a different fish altogether.
Must be cause they had a poison gland they released into the meat rendering the meat bad. Basically you could cut out the gland but it's hard to do.

Can one of these grouper sandwiches be found in the Naples/Ft. Myers vicinity?

Yes. Not quite the fame of places for the spots down there, but without a doubt its available.

Beach Bar and Naples Beach Resort
Randy's Fish Market on North Tamiami

Or just make it yourself, cut a filet in half, dust it lightly with chipotle seasoned corn meal. Place it in an oiled medium high heat cast iron skillet, 2 minutes a side. Turn the broiler on and broil for 7-9 minutes.

Common types from tastiest to just tasty.
Scamp
Gag
Black
Red

Not a sandwich but just had an amazing blackened grouper at this hole in the wall place called Harbor Seafood in Kenner, LA. They run a fresh wholesale fish market in the attached building next door. Some of the best grouper I've had. Top 5 for sure.

Fresh is the key to any fish sandwich, I have had fresh Snook in south America that was just amazing. We used to filet up some of the shark bit or throw backs and cook them on the boat with just corn meal and have it on bread or just straight out of the pan with a shot of hot sauce. Just fantastic

The Grouper Sandwich at Dockside Dave's is the BEST I've ever had.

And yes, WAY BETTER than Frenchy's(any of their multiple locations), even though the Grouper Cheeks at the Original Frenchy's are the BOMB!

There are now 2 Dockside Dave's.

The Original is just north of The John's Pass Drawbridge in Madeira Beach, the newer one is further south, somewhere across the street from the Tradewind Resort neighborhood in St. Pete Beach.

Enjoy!

I obviously hated this one. Wardy if you see this, we need to come here.

2553c0beab2b4459bc73c5a4d2e379da.jpg

My dad said he had a grouper sandwich at a hole in the wall called Cherry Pockets down there in Florida. Said it was incredible... Best he ever had.

I think it is tragic that I can't get a grouper sandwich around here. As least as far as I know.

Yea, no grouper sandwich within 1000 miles of Wisconsin that i'm aware of... Need to spend more time in Florida on the coast and check this out...

The Snook Inn (Marco Island) was always my go to for a Grouper sandwich when I was living in Deerfield Beach in the early to mid 90's and traveling over to the west coast for work. A work buddy turned me on to that place and, as I recall, it was fantastic.

My dad said he had a grouper sandwich at a hole in the wall called Cherry Pockets down there in Florida. Said it was incredible... Best he ever had.

That place is legendary. I worked in that area and people would fly in from out of state just to go there.

The Snook Inn (Marco Island) was always my go to for a Grouper sandwich when I was living in Deerfield Beach in the early to mid 90's and traveling over to the west coast for work. A work buddy turned me on to that place and, as I recall, it was fantastic.
My mouth watered at reading the name. One of the best places on that little island.

Kinda want a grouper sandwich or four now.

Kinda want a grouper sandwich or four now.

Found a new place for you too.
Barfly in Safety Harbor. Excellent.

That place is legendary. I worked in that area and people would fly in from out of state just to go there.
Yeah they went there twice in one day when they were down there. The bar almost fell on my dad though.... Something about a cable breaking... He said it was pretty scary.

Grouper fish tacos as an appetizer then the grouper dinner. OMG Cherry Pocket is a must eat there when in florida

I'll be heading towards the beaches next week and will definitely hit up Guppys for a grouper sandwich.

I'll be heading towards the beaches next week and will definitely hit up Guppys for a grouper sandwich.
I'm headed down to the beach next weekend, and I'm sure I'll have a grouper sandwich or three.

I'm headed down to the beach next weekend, and I'm sure I'll have a grouper sandwich or three.

Even if it's not on the menu, ask for it buffalo style. It's that good.

Even if it's not on the menu, ask for it buffalo style. It's that good.

Man you guys are making me wish my August vacation to Florida was here already.

Back