Do your favorite players influence your equipment choices?

Nope not n the least. Love Tiger Rory Day and Speith and don't own a single club from their sponsors. I hate Watson but have a lot of Ping took me a while to give them a glance though.

If we are talking specific shafts and flexes, nope. But I really like playing Nike clubs because I like Tiger and Rory. I like even have my wedge set up the way it is because that was Rory's initial wedge set up with Nike. I know it sounds ridiculous, it is. But it's also the truth.

They might drive me to try something, but not buy/use. Case in point, I've used mostly Ping gear all year, and not really a fan of any of the pros they sponsor

not, but the opposite can be true

I play PING, though I'm not a fan of most of their players. Sure I do like Mahan and Gimenez and the others, but I'm not a 'fan'. My wedges are Vokeys, they just suited best.

The one exception might be that I use a Bettinardi putter, I like Kuchar as a player and came into contact with the brand through him. But I use a completely different design and I've used multiple brands of putters until now. (PING, Odyssey, Scotty Cameron and probably one or two more brands I can't remember)

Seve Ballesteros kind of influenced me somewhat. He designed the original Icon irons I game before his passing. Mine are the latest in that line but he was such a great iron player. My bag is mixed just check out my signature. I play the equipment that benefits me the best.

Not for me. However, I have been playing PING since I started many years ago and still try to support them due to their work with Wounded Warriors.

My golf game is no where near what a pros is so I don't worry about what they play. It does interest me, but has no conscious impact on what I play.

At times I see a bag or clothing that I want to check out, but that is about it.

Definitely helps me take notice of the clubs, ball, clothes, etc., which might influence me to try it out a little more than another.

Not at all for me.

Perhaps subconsciously. But I have never bought a club consciously because of a pro.

No not really. It would actually turn me off more than turn me on if certain players played Callaway than those that currently do. A couple of Ping players come to mind............

Callaway has a couple that makes me shake my head already.

No, I play a totally different game than them

I think golf is one of those games that it doesn't matter who plays what, you should get fit for what clubs best work for you.

What I originally meant (which wasn't clearly communicated) was do the people you enjoy watching cause you to look at certain brands before others?

I understand that the clubs are only a tool, putting the same clubs in an amateur player's hands is not going to make them play like a professional, but perhaps some of us (I do) look to certain brands first because of our fandom. For example, some one like Michael Jordan drew people to Nike shoes. If your favorite golfer is Rory do you look at Nike items first even if you buy something else in the end?

Since I am new to golf I am looking to get the equipment that will help me most. The purchases I have made thus far have been the result of research and hitting the clubs themselves. That being said, I have looked at certain brands first. I guess not many people here do this, but at least we got a good discussion going.

Have a good Tuesday everyone! :act-up:

I think as a newer golfer, all one knows are it brands that your bombarded with during the ads on tv.

It does and it doesn't for me honestly. Clothes it absolutely did when I first got into golf but that's tapering off now and I'm starting to not dress like such a jackass on the course lol. As far as clubs I might try something first because x person plays that equipment but that doesn't mean I'll spring for it if it doesn't work for me.

When I first started playing... absolutely. Now, it does not.

I think as a newer golfer, all one knows are it brands that your bombarded with during the ads on tv.

This is 100% true and something I tried to say earlier in the thread (you said it much better then me). I was talking to a friend in the spring and we had a discussion about the top golf brands. this is before I was on THP and all we listed were: titleist, Taylor Made, Ping, Callaway, nike. Now if you would ask me this question, I would answer with wilson, srixon, bridgestone up in that mix. I think Taylormade is constantly marketing which players are playing what and probably do it the best that I have seen. If you are someone that is newer to golf and go by what you see, you will be heavily influenced by stuff like this.

I bought an M1 because of Jason Day. I am pretty sure I will start driving just like him once I get it in my hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought an M1 because of Jason Day. I am pretty sure I will start driving just like him once I get it in my hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you don't I would demand a full refund and sue for false advertising! :)

Definitely does not influence my equipment buying decisions.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

What I originally meant (which wasn't clearly communicated) was do the people you enjoy watching cause you to look at certain brands before others?

Have a good Tuesday everyone! :act-up:

As a datapoint, I decided to get fitted for a new set of clubs last summer. Found a good fitter (rated Top 100 USA on a number of lists and was reasonably - 40 miles - close to me). He had me hit a number of 6 irons. I didn't even look at what the clubs/manufacturers were. Divided them into best, maybe and no piles. After hitting 20+ clubs, the best pile was 3 clubs. Hit those and one was clearly best. See my signature for what it was. I had come in off an old set of King Cobras - bought those in the mid-90's as I had rented a set of them at a resort and liked them.

In both cases, I hardly knew who played those brands.

As far as clubs go....no, not at all. They play a completely different game than I do.
The clothes? Not for who they are, but how the clothes look.

Back