2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weights tonight; squats, press, and dead lifts. Finally felt what the bar is supposed to feel like on my back in squats, felt the shelf and felt a ton better. Presses still suck and deads are still awesome. The app is messed up and only bumped me 5 on deads and I didn't catch it so next week will go up 15.
What is your press technique like? What are your steps.

Bar bench, squats, rows, dips, and a few planks tonight. Added another ten to get my bench and squat to 145 3x5. Squats were fine and bench was ok for the first two sets but got a little hard on the last few reps of the third.

Bar bench, squats, rows, dips, and a few planks tonight. Added another ten to get my bench and squat to 145 3x5. Squats were fine and bench was ok for the first two sets but got a little hard on the last few reps of the third.
But you nailed them, right?

Got another cardio session in with some leg work at the end. Good day

What is your press technique like? What are your steps.
I'll try to get a video. Odds are I'm doing something wrong but really tried to focus on form or at least what I understand form is supposed to be like.

For the video, would front on or side view be best?

I'll try to get a video. Odds are I'm doing something wrong but really tried to focus on form or at least what I understand form is supposed to be like.

For the video, would front on or side view be best?
Front at a 45° I want to be able to see both hands and preferably your feet in frame when you're locked out. Also, record in landscape. Not portrait. Don't be that guy

But you nailed them, right?
Yeah honestly I feel like I did a pretty good job at the end. On my 3rd rep I was a little wobbly so made sure to really set my feet and get my shoulders right and was able to get the last two clean. No discomfort at all this time again and I like that, means I must be doing something different than before. For the squats, stretching and warming up better is definitely the key for me. I sit at my desk all day so last week when I mentioned it seemed impossible to get parallel, well it probably was impossible when I'm that tight haha. Loosened up the last two sessions and have been able to get there no prob.

Yeah honestly I feel like I did a pretty good job at the end. On my 3rd rep I was a little wobbly so made sure to really set my feet and get my shoulders right and was able to get the last two clean. No discomfort at all this time again and I like that, means I must be doing something different than before. For the squats, stretching and warming up better is definitely the key for me. I sit at my desk all day so last week when I mentioned it seemed impossible to get parallel, well it probably was impossible when I'm that tight haha. Loosened up the last two sessions and have been able to get there no prob.
Excellent. Eat more and sleep more.

If you have issues lumbering up, we can solve that pretty quickly.

Excellent. Eat more and sleep more.

If you have issues lumbering up, we can solve that pretty quickly.
Will do sir! K sounds good, thanks.

I hate this. I need to make a doctors appointment. Muscle inflammation from my eff up last week isn't going away and I can barely walk. Otc nsaids just aren't cutting it.

I hate this. I need to make a doctors appointment. Muscle inflammation from my eff up last week isn't going away and I can barely walk. Otc nsaids just aren't cutting it.

Get it taken care of dude!

Did a 200 lb x1 bench press last night, as predicted beating my squat over the 'lift more than my bodyweight' line. 200 went up really easily, I was surprised because 185x3 was a real fight for all 3. First time I'd tried over 170, which I did 4x5 last week. Deadlift (hex) continues to progress, 230x2 x2 last Sat.

Here's my home gym:

Don't use the bike as much as I should. Behind it, the white frame, do my dips on the back side facing the wall. Don't use the chair much, do leg lifts hanging from the cage these days. The blue bench I just use for leg extensions occasionally, actual bench press I do in the power rack at the far end. Someone remind me to ride that damned bike or run some stairs tonight, it's a no lifting day.

Across from the bike/white frame is hex station. Past that, my EZcurl bar, which gets pretty much zero use these days.

I put a cheap mirror behind the cage for form check on squats - I mentioned that in a prior post and was advised to move it out, just haven't done that yet. I do squats, bench pressing, chinups, *assisted* pullups (see purple band, still can't do a single wide grip palms out pullup) and various bench work here. *EDIT* yes, I use a bar pad ('manpon'), no I won't apologize for it. Hey, I don't use gloves.

Around the corner is where I do presses, RDLs, calf raises (note the expensive calf raise accessory - 2' of 2x6), anything with heavy bar.

I use a very advanced fitness log app.

When I need to cool down, I go use the toy my wife bought me a couple weeks ago for our 30th anniversary

Joe get that looked at brotha, being in pain sucks! I hope they can get you sorted out

Did a 200 lb x1 bench press last night, as predicted beating my squat over the 'lift more than my bodyweight' line. 200 went up really easily, I was surprised because 185x3 was a real fight for all 3. First time I'd tried over 170, which I did 4x5 last week. Deadlift (hex) continues to progress, 230x2 x2 last Sat.

Here's my home gym:

Don't use the bike as much as I should. Behind it, the white frame, do my dips on the back side facing the wall. Don't use the chair much, do leg lifts hanging from the cage these days. The blue bench I just use for leg extensions occasionally, actual bench press I do in the power rack at the far end. Someone remind me to ride that damned bike or run some stairs tonight, it's a no lifting day.

Across from the bike/white frame is hex station. Past that, my EZcurl bar, which gets pretty much zero use these days.

I put a cheap mirror behind the cage for form check on squats - I mentioned that in a prior post and was advised to move it out, just haven't done that yet. I do squats, bench pressing, chinups, *assisted* pullups (see purple band, still can't do a single wide grip palms out pullup) and various bench work here. *EDIT* yes, I use a bar pad ('manpon'), no I won't apologize for it. Hey, I don't use gloves.

Around the corner is where I do presses, RDLs, calf raises (note the expensive calf raise accessory - 2' of 2x6), anything with heavy bar.

When I need to cool down, I go use the toy my wife bought me a couple weeks ago for our 30th anniversary
Damn that's sweet! That's the kinda thing I want going on in my basement haha. I'm actually trying hard to work out a deal on some equipment right now, would love to have it.

Here's my home gym:

That's a sweet setup! I'd love to have a power rack at home, wouldn't ever have to go to the gym again! As general discussion, is it better to deadlift with a straight bar or a hex bar? What's the pros and cons of each?

That's a sweet setup! I'd love to have a power rack at home, wouldn't ever have to go to the gym again! As general discussion, is it better to deadlift with a straight bar or a hex bar? What's the pros and cons of each?

Hex bar isn't really a true deadlift, it's more a quarter-squat-and-stand-up (so, the last part to lockout is the same as a true DL) but lots heavier weight than a squat....the main benefit is that, with proper form, it's easier on the low back as you're more upright to begin with due to the hands being at the side and on raised handles, as opposed to down low and in front of you. All that said, it still does work the muscles a deadlift works - traps, upper back, lower back, and a bit more quad/less hamstring.

I supplement for hams/low back with Romanian deadlifts, which are like a true deadlift except for the last 12" down to the floor. And, for me, I am picking very heavy weights off the floor for other bar exercises - shrugs, calf raises, rarely SLDLs, and etc., so I get some of what I am missing from true deadlifting that way. But for the truly heavy weight of a deadlift, I'm (and many others) just more comfortable taking some of the risk of a low back injury away. 100%, it is not for everyone....but I'm in my 50's so reducing a little risk on the lower back suits me fine.

Picking it up heavy still feels like picking it up grossly freakin heavy.

I have way too much old man gas to go to a commercial gym, I'd be constantly embarrassing myself :bulgy-eyes:

To elaborate on keto's post.

A hex bar deadlift isn't the same as a straight bar deadlift. The hex bar takes a lot of focus off of the low back and hamstrings and puts the emphasis more on the quads. The straight bar being pulled up the legs also engages the latisimus dorsi muscles differently/more. Hex bar pulls are easier on the low back and the shins. But it doesn't really surplant a straight bar lift. If a trainee hex bar pulls, they need to suplement with other submaximal pull variations to hit the same muscles groups. Because those other variations are submaximal they are not as efficient for building strength as a straight bar dead. Essentially, you have to do more lifts to hit the same muscle groups, and those lifts are not as good at building strength.

So, just got out of a doc appointment. My calf is either strained or torn. If it's strained, it will heal. If it's torn, I will most likely need surgery to get most of the functionality back.

I don't think it's torn, mainly because of the lack of bruising and swelling.

So, just got out of a doc appointment. My calf is either strained or torn. If it's strained, it will heal. If it's torn, I will most likely need surgery to get most of the functionality back.

I don't think it's torn, mainly because of the lack of bruising and swelling.
I sure hope it's not torn

I thought watching my swing on video was bad. Today was my 2nd day of Starting Strong.
Squats, bench and deads. As this is pretty new to me I wanted to post a couple of videos and get some help/input on my form as I am pretty sure its not good at all. I know I need to get deeper on my squats. Im keeping the weight light until my form gets better. Thanks guys for tips/thoughts

I thought watching my swing on video was bad. Today was my 2nd day of Starting Strong.
Squats, bench and deads. As this is pretty new to me I wanted to post a couple of videos and get some help/input on my form as I am pretty sure its not good at all. I know I need to get deeper on my squats. Im keeping the weight light until my form gets better. Thanks guys for tips/thoughts

I like this. There's lots to work with here. I can't dig in at this moment. But I will tonight.

Also, I don't want you to think I am insulting you in anyway. But there is a good foundation but there are also some inefficiencies that need to be ironed out.

I'll let Blu take this because he's helping me as well but these vids are making me excited to get some of myself. Love that you're jumping right in dude! It's contagious and putting yourself out there isn't the easiest haha. You go!

I like this. There's lots to work with here. I can't dig in at this moment. But I will tonight.

Also, I don't want you to think I am insulting you in anyway. But there is a good foundation but there are also some inefficiencies that need to be ironed out.

I am fully aware that I need a ton of work and I appreciate any assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am fully aware that I need a ton of work and I appreciate any assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1) this is all constructive. Nothing is unfixable.

2) if you're going to do Starting Strength, you're going to do it the Starting Strength way.

Deadlift
Get your feet a touch closer together. 6" apart and toes slightly open. It's going to feel odd, but it is going to make the pull as vertical as possible.

Good starting position with the bar, and 1"ish away from your shins. Bend at the hips, try not to bend your knees. Grab the bar and dont move the bar. Slowly bring your shins to the bar. Don't push the bar forward.

Good hand position on the bar. Grip the bar in your fingers, good there.

Without moving the bar forward, squeeze your chest up. Hard! Pull your lats into your back pockets, without dropping your hips. It's going to feel very horizontal, but that's ok. Never look up at the ceiling. You're not now, so don't start. And then take a HUGE breath. Do not let that breath out until the reps is over.

Drag the bar up your shins. Feel like you're pulling your chest back. This will keep your scapula over the bar for as long as possible. I want that bar in contact with your shins all the way up.

On the way down break your hips and let the bar down and then break your knees once the bar is below your knees.
Add 15# to the bar and bang out 5 more in a day.

No offense, I need to watch your squat video more, there's more work to do there.

Christian, I can't tell you how freaking proud of you I am for starting your routine. Blu will get you squared away on form no problem. Seeing your video, I want to take some of myself to see where I am at.

Did HIIT tonight and added sprints and changed up the order. I feel like I can go a little harder at it now than when I started, so it must be working. I still hate it, but the feeling of accomplishment afterwards is really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back