2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do as I say...

Dude, I pinched a nerve in my back because I deadlifted with shatty form. My hips flew up and my shoulders stayed low. Essentially, I tried to straight leg 505.

Also, I still want to see a squat video.
Pretty sure you know but just to make sure I want to say I followed you very close and love your guidance. Made a huge difference! I was pretty focused tonight so I didn't think about video but I'll get one sometime for coach Blulift to evaluate

Squats, bench, rows, and some conditioning work tonight. Been getting back in the gym more consistently, and I forgot how much I missed it.

Yes there is. I bet you're going to tell me to bench in that next time, right??
I don't bench anywhere else if I can help it.

It's possible with a spotter I could have gutted through it, but I worked really hard on the 4th rep and wasn't going to risk it on the 5th, so I ended up doing 3x4. I got through pull downs fine.

I'm with you on that. That's the thing that sucks about working out alone. I actually thought about setting up in a power rack, but the racks we have are kinda weird. I've been thinking in my head about how I could do it. I'm still working my way up from very light weight though. I did go ahead and make decent jumps in my squat and deadlift sets and still felt pretty good about it.

I don't bench anywhere else if I can help it.

Good to know, because the power rack was open, but they have two bench stations so felt like I should use one of those, but not anymore.

I've been benching primarily in the rack. I also never have a spotter so I bench in there with the safety bars. I don't bench to my absolute limit as to test them out haha but they are a nice security just in case.

Good to know, because the power rack was open, but they have two bench stations so felt like I should use one of those, but not anymore.

I've been benching primarily in the rack. I also never have a spotter so I bench in there with the safety bars. I don't bench to my absolute limit as to test them out haha but they are a nice security just in case.
The bench press is the one lift I talk about that does kill people. If you don't have a spotter, be safe.

Hey Blue just checking in (its been awhile), exceeded my weight loss goals, currently maintaining between 156-159 (just a reminder, I am 5'7 and started out at 225+). I have decided to take "everyone's" advice finally about weight training.... Well not everyone but the strong ones I know :). I start my 5x5 routine this thursday...2 day a week program (to start), Day 1 (monday)- squat, bench, row, Day 2 (thursday) squat, press, deadlift....I will add 3 days of cardio/abs for a total of 5 days a week

Hey Blue just checking in (its been awhile), exceeded my weight loss goals, currently maintaining between 156-159 (just a reminder, I am 5'7 and started out at 225+). I have decided to take "everyone's" advice finally about weight training.... Well not everyone but the strong ones I know :). I start my 5x5 routine this thursday...2 day a week program (to start), Day 1 (monday)- squat, bench, row, Day 2 (thursday) squat, press, deadlift....I will add 3 days of cardio/abs for a total of 5 days a week
Sounds like StrongLifts.

I'm still rather amazed that I ran the program to some big 5x5s. Have fun with it

Sounds like StrongLifts.

I'm still rather amazed that I ran the program to some big 5x5s. Have fun with it

Yes that's it, what is your opinion on StrongLifts?

Yes that's it, what is your opinion on StrongLifts?
I like it. It's easy to follow. The app is glorious.

I lean more to Starting Strength for a pure strength program. I like the inclusion of power cleans versus rows. Cleans add a dynamic element to the training and are easier on the lower back than rows. Not that rows are not useful, just at the early stages of a novice (not "new to" but the most potential for progression ) I think cleans are much more benefitial. I also like the emphasis on form that comes with Starting Strength.

With all of that said, StrongLifts is a very easy to follow program that will offer gains.

As I see the foam roller mentioned in regards to sore back from sitting and also I saw mention of pinched sciatic, I thought I would toss out this warning... never foam roll your lower back. A lot of the role of your lower back muscles is to protect internal organs against injury. Foam rolling does not loosen these muscles the same way. These muscles tend to tense up more in reaction to the stress that foam rolling puts on them. In the case of a sciatic issue, that's a nerve problem that won't be able to be fixed by foam rolling anyway, and then causing your muscles to react to the process can put more strain on things.

If you have lower back issues and have a foam roller it does help if you roll your thoracic part of your back, gluteus, hips and hamstrings.

Blugold, hope you are working that cobra position.

As I see the foam roller mentioned in regards to sore back from sitting and also I saw mention of pinched sciatic, I thought I would toss out this warning... never foam roll your lower back. A lot of the role of your lower back muscles is to protect internal organs against injury. Foam rolling does not loosen these muscles the same way. These muscles tend to tense up more in reaction to the stress that foam rolling puts on them. In the case of a sciatic issue, that's a nerve problem that won't be able to be fixed by foam rolling anyway, and then causing your muscles to react to the process can put more strain on things.

If you have lower back issues and have a foam roller it does help if you roll your thoracic part of your back, gluteus, hips and hamstrings.

Blugold, hope you are working that cobra position.
I'm working every position imaginable.

Just be careful. A lot of times with sciatic stuff people want to lay on their back and pull knees to chest. Often that is the opposite of what you need.

I like it. It's easy to follow. The app is glorious.

I lean more to Starting Strength for a pure strength program. I like the inclusion of power cleans versus rows. Cleans add a dynamic element to the training and are easier on the lower back than rows. Not that rows are not useful, just at the early stages of a novice (not "new to" but the most potential for progression ) I think cleans are much more benefitial. I also like the emphasis on form that comes with Starting Strength.

With all of that said, StrongLifts is a very easy to follow program that will offer gains.

My friend is a huge fan of starting strength and of Mark Rippote (sp?) He wants me to buy his book and watch his youtube videos....which I am doing (especially for form)

My friend is a huge fan of starting strength and of Mark Rippote (sp?) He wants me to buy his book and watch his youtube videos....which I am doing (especially for form)
I am a huge believer in Mark Rippetoe and how he approaches strength training. His book, Starting Strength is not light reading. But it's one of the most comprehensive publications on the topic.

I started Starting Strength today and I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it on day 1. As I am very very new to weight lifting I want to make sure to take it slow. I'm really concerned about my form as I am sure it's terrible. I have been reading and watching videos so hopefully it gets better.

Started slow on day 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another treadmill session and a good ab workout tonight. Always feels so good to get a nice cardio session

I started Starting Strength today and I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it on day 1. As I am very very new to weight lifting I want to make sure to take it slow. I'm really concerned about my form as I am sure it's terrible. I have been reading and watching videos so hopefully it gets better.

Started slow on day 1

I'm very excited to see your progress.

Don't be afraid to share a video if your worried about form.

I'm very excited to see your progress.

Don't be afraid to share a video if your worried about form.

I sure will be sharing some videos as I know I couldn't use all the help I can get. Goals are to loose weight and get stronger

I sure will be sharing some videos as I know I couldn't use all the help I can get. Goals are to loose weight and get stronger

What's your goal time-frame?

Another treadmill session and a good ab workout tonight. Always feels so good to get a nice cardio session

That's a lie. I hate cardio. Always dread my HIIT sessions, but I know I need them for my goals. Weights > cardio!

Started slow on day 1

Excited for you, man. I'm about a month in and loving it. I'm amazed at the progress so far, and I love how simple the program is and the app is packed with information on form that I've enjoyed. Keep working and let us know how you're doing.

What's your goal time-frame?

I hate to sit here and say 6 months or a year. I would love to get my weight down 30-35 pounds. Progress drives me. Seeing gains motivates me. I would love to loose 30 in 6 months.

I hate to sit here and say 6 months or a year. I would love to get my weight down 30-35 pounds. Progress drives me. Seeing gains motivates me. I would love to loose 30 in 6 months.

That's easily doable man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back