Blades Vs Cavity Back

Blades look pretty. And that counts for something. GI irons will not hold you back in the least.

GI irons don't put lipstick on a pig of a bad swing.

Blades look pretty. And that counts for something. GI irons will not hold you back in the least.

GI irons don't put lipstick on a pig of a bad swing.
Hey Now. Let not get personal. Who said anything about swinging the clubs.

I was just pondering if I could sleep with them.

FYI.

Kidding of course

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have a Bridgestone 6i. Let me send it to you. Spend some time on the range with that one club to confirm the decision before parting with your hard earned money.. PM your address.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't remember for sure, but I think it is the J15 CB. Others might be able to give you proper info - to me it feels like a crossover / Pro type model; it reminded me a bit of the J40 DPCs in terms of ball speed losses, etc. It would give you a solid data point for deciding which way you want to go.

j15-cavity-main.png

Hey Now. Let not get personal. Who said anything about swinging the clubs.

I was just pondering if I could sleep with them.

FYI.

Kidding of course

I will not judge your lifestyle. ;)

I would be lying if I denied making a bed for clubs to sleep in and have a restful night

I always ask myself "are you good enough to play blades?" So far no good. Golf is already hard enough for me.

There's nothing a blade will teach you. You might get proficient at striking the ball by practicing with a blade, however that doesn't mean it'll make you a better player. You could develop bad habits that you don't want in your swing even tho you strike it well with a blade. I say stick with lessons get better at striking the ball that way then take a look into a CB or MB if you want. This is all coming from a guy who plays blades.
Agree with this assessment by 6435.

I'm one of those old school guys who believes that playing blades CAN help your ballstriking, BUT THERE'S A CAVEAT - you've got to have your swing down and be able to repeat it to get any benefit from the more exacting nature of blades. Lessons, practice, more lessons (repeat) will help much more at this stage.

I can't remember for sure, but I think it is the J15 CB. Others might be able to give you proper info - to me it feels like a crossover / Pro type model; it reminded me a bit of the J40 DPCs in terms of ball speed losses, etc. It would give you a solid data point for deciding which way you want to go.

j15-cavity-main.png
Check your PM

At the beginning of the season, I was playing a set of Bridgestone J15 MB irons. I loved the way they looked and at the time, was hitting them superbly, probably playing what I believed was the best golf of my life.

Then, due to unforeseen circumstances, my practice time was significantly cut and I went from hitting balls 4-5 times per week (1-2 range sessions, 2-3 rounds) to maybe playing once a week. My swing went to hell, and with it, my consistently good ball-striking. I was able to hit a few really good shots a round but my mis-hits were truly mis-hits and the ball went nowhere, and that was because no matter how beautiful the MB's looked, they were penalizing me every time I didn't put a good swing on the ball. That's when I decided to build a set of J15 CB's and up until today, I still ask myself why I didn't go with them earlier, LOL. I hit them long and can move the ball around when needed, and heck, even on my bad days (which happen frequently), I can still enjoy the game.

This game is plenty difficult as it is... why make it even more complicated? Go with CB's and have fun!

j15-cavity-main.png

My go to gamer for much of this year. LOVE this club.

I know this is probably over kill. But here goes.

Is it better to keep swinging a shovel while you take lessons hoping to improve, or bite the bullet and get some blades?

Will the increased difficulty and smaller sweet spot force me to improve? Sink or swim. Or are they just instruments best left for experts on tour.

The best ball strikers always learned on blades. But, maybe I should not be comparing myself with a PGA pro who has been swing a club since the age of 3 years old.

So there you have it. All ideas, opinions and suggestions welcomed.

Now there is a word RARELY seen around here and I'm thankful for that...........

For me, playing my apex MB makes it so that concentrate on my game and don't lose focus. It's to the point where apex irons were too much offset for my swing and the less offset allowed me to swing more within myself and not manipulate my hands to make it work. Ball went farther with apex but I feel I have more control with mb irons. At one point I came to terms with comfort/control over distance. Actually helped my short game too.

Now there is a word RARELY seen around here and I'm thankful for that...........

Speaking of shovels, I need to get my hands on a set of Cleveland Altitudes still... And get some 130 gram graphite X flex in them to break the internet minds.

Should be entertaining, although I doubt I could build a sand castle with an altitude... Maybe a Phil wedge.

Speaking of shovels, I need to get my hands on a set of Cleveland Altitudes still... And get some 130 gram graphite X flex in them to break the internet minds.

Should be entertaining, although I doubt I could build a sand castle with an altitude... Maybe a Phil wedge.

I just find the use that word to be unacceptable. Many young tour players have never touched a blade. Reminds me way too much of another golf forum.........

I just find the use that word to be unacceptable. Many young tour players have never touched a blade. Reminds me way too much of another golf forum.........

haha, I think it's funny. The concept/naming convention more than anything else.

That we can talk ourselves out of playing something because it's too forgiving or something crazy like that. I say game the most forgiving iron your swing will allow for! Very much a THP mentality.

haha, I think it's funny. The concept/naming convention more than anything else.

That we can talk ourselves out of playing something because it's too forgiving or something crazy like that. I say game the most forgiving iron your swing will allow for! Very much a THP mentality.
Ditto and take lessons as often as you can

For me, playing my apex MB makes it so that concentrate on my game and don't lose focus. It's to the point where apex irons were too much offset for my swing and the less offset allowed me to swing more within myself and not manipulate my hands to make it work. Ball went farther with apex but I feel I have more control with mb irons. At one point I came to terms with comfort/control over distance. Actually helped my short game too.

What was it about the offset? I know that a lot of people have a mental/visual hang up. Was that all it was for you?

What was it about the offset? I know that a lot of people have a mental/visual hang up. Was that all it was for you?

my miss with the apex and apex CF 16 were hooks and over drawing. I couldn't fade the ball. Yes the mental/visual hang up was present but not the major culprit. Believe me, I had trackman data to show that the apex mb were a better fit over the apex but now, with the release of the apex pro irons I might need to do some rethinking of the irons. If anything I'll do a combo set with apex CF/apex pro/apex MB irons/MD3 46*

my miss with the apex and apex CF 16 were hooks and over drawing. I couldn't fade the ball. Yes the mental/visual hang up was present but not the major culprit. Believe me, I had trackman data to show that the apex mb were a better fit over the apex but now, with the release of the apex pro irons I might need to do some rethinking of the irons. If anything I'll do a combo set with apex CF/apex pro/apex MB irons/MD3 46*

I am not disputing your results. Just curious as to the full story. What's crazy is that we keep hearing that offset doesn't cause lefts, but that always seems to be the miss with golfers and offset.

I have the same problem with SGI and GI. I don't think it's mental. The offset was built into golf clubs to help get the ball in the air and reduce the tendency of most golfers to slice the ball.

It should not be any surprise if you hand a golfer, who's normal ball flight is a draw, a club with a large degree of offset if the usual draw turns into a hook.

It's one of the reasons I play the XR Pro's over the XR. The decreased offset.

So when I look at a blade instead of fear at address, it inspires confidence. Since most blades have little if any offset, I feel like I can swing freely and hit a baby draw or a little fade.

But like everyone else I have experienced major distance loss secondary to the shrunken size of the sweet spot.

I only wish they would make a SGI iron which had little to no offset so that I could swing carelessly and not encounter a hook.

But on the other hand. Since there aren't any SGI clubs, except for Drivers, which help reduce or eliminate the hook, I have been forced to work on my swing and eliminate the hook by improvements in my game. Swing plane. Club release. Lag. Etc.

And that is where I was wondering, if I started to played a Blade or MB, might it also help push me to practice a bit harder, and focus on lessons and swing improvements. Since without a trampoline like tennis racket to hit the ball I would have no choice but to improve.

But most THP'ers today have clearly pointed at the flaws in my thought process.

So except for display, I may never bag a Blade.

Unless there's a chance of course i find a really great deal on Ebay. Lol.

Got to love the heart of a dreamer in everyone.

Fantasy Island here I come. Mr Roake. Can I have A Ben Hogan swing for the week. And a set of the shinniest Blades on the market. Off to play Augusta against Arnold Palmer. Jack Nicholas. And Mr. Ben Hogan himself.

Okay. Day dream over.

Cheers

Well I am glad I dropped my SGI irons for the MP 68's I now play. Given the thoughts of many here I have no business playing these irons either, but everything else that has been said here re forgiveness holds, and a loss in distance can result in off centre strikes... This is all true. But nobody has mentioned the sheer pleasure of playing MB or blade irons...

Perhaps this is dependent on the intent of the individual, the how and why they play if you like. Purist ideology? Not necessarily IMO.

I am not disputing your results. Just curious as to the full story. What's crazy is that we keep hearing that offset doesn't cause lefts, but that always seems to be the miss with golfers and offset.

I can imagine, that with robot testing, any iron with offset would not go left only due to the fact that the robot has a perfect repeatable swing that can return the club face to square every single time. For me, the timing issue is too much to try and get to work in my favor. I will say however that the new apex CF appears to have less offset than previous 2014 edition of apex.

Well I am glad I dropped my SGI irons for the MP 68's I now play. Given the thoughts of many here I have no business playing these irons either, but everything else that has been said here re forgiveness holds, and a loss in distance can result in off centre strikes... This is all true. But nobody has mentioned the sheer pleasure of playing MB or blade irons...

Perhaps this is dependent on the intent of the individual, the how and why they play if you like. Purist ideology? Not necessarily IMO.

Believe me, purist ideology isn't my theory. The blades work for my solely based off turf interaction. The apex bounced more for me and the apex pros weren't as fluid through impact as the MBs.

Thanks Alez, and noting your HC is rather low... I was trying to give a general feel of someone with a HC of +20 strokes on yours!

It definitely doesn't cause lefts, but I always understood the purpose of offset to be that the player has more time to square up the clubface, which helps with the rights. So it only stands to reason that if you're already slamming the clubface shut (hence - hook swing), the offset gives you more time to shut the clubface even MORE, and possibly accentuate it slightly.

I am no expert, but that made sense to me anyways. :act-up:

Amen! Shovels..........what a word. LOL

Back