The 2015 Grandaddy Live Update Thread - The Golf Trip Of A Lifetime

Ok Grandaddy guys...self evaluation time.

1. How did you play? Meaning did your game meet the expectations you set for yourself?

I played ok for the most part both days. Struggled off the tee which is seeming more and more normal every normal but was good with the irons and short game.

2. Piggybacking off of number 1...did your handicap travel well for this event?

I would say kind of. If I could have played better off the tee than I would have played better than my cap but I played maybe a little higher than my handicap

3. What did you do well during your rounds?

Irons and short game. Chipped very good for those two days.

4. What did you do not so well?

Without a doubt tee game. Struggled bad with the driver which 100 percent was a swing issue. And it was more so during the singles match than the first day

5. Everyone had fun and thats great but we all know losing blows. What would you have done differently to possibly put you in a better position to play better?

Just be better off the tee, with how comfortable I was with an iron in my hand, I would have played and scored a lot better if I was taking 2 off a lot of the tee boxes

6. Seeing that most of you had not golfed together before, did you find your games complimented each other in the respective formats? Did it take some getting used to at all?

Didn't take long to get used to anyone as for me it is all about playing golf. I feel like I'm a very easy guy to play golf with and during the Alt shot which for me was really the only format where your teammates game mattered a lot during the match, I told Taylor( TexasHacker)no matter what to always hit the shot he is comfortable with as I there is no shot in golf that truly scares me. So it was nice to be able to just play golf and not have to think to hard about anything

7. What feedback can you give potential future grandaddy-ers to help hopefully bring that belt to THP.

Play golf and have fun. Relax and don't make the moment bigger than it is. Enjoy playing golf at the Hideaway, enjoy being around your teammates and enjoy being around the ZooCrew as they are some of the most fun group of people to play golf with. I know everyone is different but don't think to much about the competition and just play golf and let the chips fall where they may

Thanks in advance

Ok Grandaddy guys...self evaluation time.

1. How did you play? Meaning did your game meet the expectations you set for yourself?

2. Piggybacking off of number 1...did your handicap travel well for this event?

3. What did you do well during your rounds?

4. What did you do not so well?

5. Everyone had fun and thats great but we all know losing blows. What would you have done differently to possibly put you in a better position to play better?

6. Seeing that most of you had not golfed together before, did you find your games complimented each other in the respective formats? Did it take some getting used to at all?

7. What feedback can you give potential future grandaddy-ers to help hopefully bring that belt to THP.

Thanks in advance

1. I played well. All the work I put in showed and I felt comfortable over e dry single shot/putt

2. My handicap traveled for sure. I made a few mistakes, but overall it traveled and represented well.

3. I blistered my 3w & D9, hit great iron shots and didn't miss a putt inside of 8' the two days.

4. Judge the greens on longer putts. It's hard to explain, I was either leaving putts short or running them by the hole. It was less of green speed & more of not seeing the subtle breaks the greens have.

5. I'm not sure how to answer this one. Of course we all would love more time to fine tune, but I didn't skimp on any part of my prep or half ass anything.

6. Mike (misike) and I played well from hole one. I told him before we tee'd off,"Never say you're sorry & play your game". We ham and egged it pretty good and if some longer putts drop, the halved and loss matches turn to W's.

7. Be honest with your game, play course you don't normally play, play the right yardages & a decent short game is a must. It's been said before, but good wedges and solid putting go a LONG way in competition.

And to add to the last one. Make sure you can walk away knowing you gave it everything you had. Because when it's all said and done and the scores are in, that's it. You live with the result. Do I like seeing our final score? Not one bit. But I know I gave it my all and fought till my last putt was holed. And I know everyone on my team did the same. I can live with the results because I know we did things right and had the freaking times of our lives. But if I half a$$'ed it and played like garbage it wouldn't sit well with me

100% this. I hate that we were on the losing end, but it was evident each of us put in the work leading up to the event. Be honest & play your game. Everything else will settle in where it should.

I actually kinda liked the rough. Most of the time I was in it the ball was sitting up nicely. But the members I played with did say that on both courses the rough was cut a little lower than normal

The rough wasn't nearly as penalizing as I was expecting

I'm curious about what you guys thought of the two courses? ie. Did you have a preference? What was your favorite part of each?

When I saw that you guys were starting on the Dye Course, I was nervous. That course can be wicked!

I liked the dye from a Golf perspective. A lot of drives and approach shots set up well for me and fit my eye.

In terms of pure aesthetic beauty, the Cilve wins hands down and is just as challenging IMO.

Can you share some of the clutch shots or putts that you guys remember?

Hole #8 on the Clive. I pulled my approach and left myself 138 or so in. I pulled my 9i and stuck it to 3 feet for a natural bird.

During alt shot Misike blisters a drive and leaves me with a nice approach. We needed that hole to even the match and I stick the iron to inside of 10'

During alt shot with DNevs we were 1dn and he had a putt to halve. He misses and my 12' or so putt was to win and get back to AS. I drain the putt and that gave us a huge confidence boost.

So outside of having an absolute blast, what is the formula to beat the Zoocrew? Did they just play lights out?

So outside of having an absolute blast, what is the formula to beat the Zoocrew? Did they just play lights out?
Simply put, they're good, really good. Better than I believe many give them credit for.

I'll not go any further than that because to me, I have no qualms with how it turned out. It's more than about winning, this is not a simple competition like so many believe it is.

Make no mistakes on the course. Need to get up early in matches. Their caps are real, minus JRod of course.

Simply put, they're good, really good. Better than I believe many give them credit for.

I'll not go any further than that because to me, I have no qualms with how it turned out. It's more than about winning, this is not a simple competition like so many believe it is.

Just wanted to know. Don't need anything further.

Make no mistakes on the course. Need to get up early in matches. Their caps are real, minus JRod of course.
Hahahaha, so true, on all counts.

Sounds like any match play situation.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to, on all counts. No ragrets.

Sounds like any match play situation.
Pretty much. Honestly in my matches it was nothing more than that. JRod got up early on us in both matches and that was kind of it. His team won 2 holes to our 1 in the first 9. The second 9 was something like 3 holes to 2. In both matches that ended with a W, we missed 1 shot in AS and it wasn't a bad miss, and played well. In singles I got up early on Scotty, and even though he battled back, he never got it it up in favor of him.

If you don't get in awe of the environment, which is hard, it boils down to straight match play. Use pops to your advantage if you get them. Don't press for shots if you have a stroke to play with.

Pretty much. Honestly in my matches it was nothing more than that. JRod got up early on us in both matches and that was kind of it. His team won 2 holes to our 1 in the first 9. The second 9 was something like 3 holes to 2. In both matches that ended with a W, we missed 1 shot in AS and it wasn't a bad miss, and played well. In singles I got up early on Scotty, and even though he battled back, he never got it it up in favor of him.

If you don't get in awe of the environment, which is hard, it boils down to straight match play. Use pops to your advantage if you get them. Don't press for shots if you have a stroke to play with.

You mentioned their caps are really. Are we at a disadvantage as our caps don't seem to travel. I should say some, not all.

You mentioned their caps are really. Are we at a disadvantage as our caps don't seem to travel. I should say some, not all.
I don't know that it is an issue of caps not being real, but they are mostly low caps and a low cap is typically at an advantage to a high cap by the way the handicap system measures potential and not average scores. I think a low cap plays to their cap more often than a high cap.

I think the disadvantage boils down to the traveling cap. Not to slight the fact that we are playing a top notch course and facility, some being in that situation for perhaps the first time. Just so much to look at and take in. You know what I mean? Some of these guys have played places like the Old Course, a place we would all be in awe of. IMO the more places you play like that, the better you react and boil it down to being golf. However that is something I would never request gets changed, because that place is perfect.

I don't know that it is an issue of caps not being real, but they are mostly low caps and a low cap is typically at an advantage to a high cap by the way the handicap system measures potential and not average scores. I think a low cap plays to their cap more often than a high cap.

I am sitting at monkey joes just thinking about all sorts of stuff. I know this event is about way more than the comp. I just wanted to know if there is a chance we climb over that hump. Fun and awe is a given, it's been that way for three years. Maybe some wisdom will rub off on the next crew. That's why I am asking.

I think the disadvantage boils down to the traveling cap. Not to slight the fact that we are playing a top notch course and facility, some being in that situation for perhaps the first time. Just so much to look at and take in. You know what I mean? Some of these guys have played places like the Old Course, a place we would all be in awe of. IMO the more places you play like that, the better you react and boil it down to being golf. However that is something I would never request gets changed, because that place is perfect.

I get it and they do play a lot of top venues. It was fun to follow you guys and feel the emotion of the trip. You guys classed up the joint.

I get it and they do play a lot of top venues. It was fun to follow you guys and feel the emotion of the trip. You guys classed up the joint.
Really it's just about the only thing I can think of. Their caps are made from playing places like Aviara and Torrey Pines. So I guess what I would say to future players is to play courses that you consider too tough, or that are unbelievable to look at.

The end of the day though, when walking away from this event, the belt isn't the thing that declares you a winner.

Really it's just about the only thing I can think of. Their caps are made from playing places like Aviara and Torrey Pines. So I guess what I would say to future players is to play courses that you consider too tough, or that are unbelievable to look at.

The end of the day though, when walking away from this event, the belt isn't the thing that declares you a winner.

That is a very good way of looking at it.

I'm curious about what you guys thought of the two courses? ie. Did you have a preference? What was your favorite part of each?

When I saw that you guys were starting on the Dye Course, I was nervous. That course can be wicked!

The Clive fits my eye a whole lot better, the sheer amount of lateral water on the Dye is way more than I'm accustomed to. I just get way more comfortable on The Clive, both are absolutely awesome though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sitting at monkey joes just thinking about all sorts of stuff. I know this event is about way more than the comp. I just wanted to know if there is a chance we climb over that hump. Fun and awe is a given, it's been that way for three years. Maybe some wisdom will rub off on the next crew. That's why I am asking.
I absolutely welcome the question, man, and any insights to try and get the belt are great, but I also realised in the thick of it this year that there is so much more about this event too.

I think what I learned more than anything else is that the zoo crew is better than I expected, and they take the prep much more serious than I expected. Simply put, they are really good and I could throw out excuses like not being able to hit the course leading up to it, being on the course for the first time, or the time change, but the simple fact is they are players, and they earn the win each year.

This has been a really interesting discussion to follow - thanks for posing the great questions Freddie, and for the insight from the folks there.

Along those lines - while knowing there are no courses like the two hideaway courses, what features would you look for in a course to provide some sort of help in prep?

We had a lot of close matches, a lot that could have swung either way with two or three shots. Imo its not a point at one thing or another thing kind of situation.

What a week!!

This has been a really interesting discussion to follow - thanks for posing the great questions Freddie.

Along those lines - while knowing there are no courses like the two hideaway courses, what features would you look for in a course to provide some sort of help in prep?
For me, fast greens was the only thing that stood out. The rest of it wasn't much different than usual, aside from looking completely beautiful.

We had a lot of close matches, a lot that could have swung either way with two or three shots. Imo its not a point at one thing or another thing kind of situation.

That's the crazy thing about match play. You can have a 4&3 match that if you look at the play, comes down to a lucky bounce and maybe only a couple shots.

This has been a really interesting discussion to follow - thanks for posing the great questions Freddie.

While I agree with Dean I will add I think just playing many different course will add to the golf game. Or just grab a swing like the 2016 captain and all will be right in the world.

But if I was scouting courses I'd look for private to semi private or resort style courses and play from 6500 plus. Learn how to score and play on various tracks. Then you'll know for later.

This has been a really interesting discussion to follow - thanks for posing the great questions Freddie, and for the insight from the folks there.

Tight Fairways and chipping areas. Oh and fast greens. You know greens where even when you have a 10 foot uphill putt, you can't be aggressive with it.

Back