Famous People you've met?

I had the fortune to caddy at a country club in Milwaukee when I was a kid. Every year, the club would throw a celebrity/amateur tournament for Colon Cancer in Vince Lombardi's name. I caddied for 3 summers there and in that time, I've met Peter Marshall, Greg Morris, Evel Kneivel, all the old Green Bay Packers greats. Bart Starr, Jerry Kramer, Donny Anderson, Carroll Dale, Boyd Dowler, Travis Williams, Ray Nitschke, etc... Al Maguire, some of the old Milwaukee Bucks. (not Kareem Jabbar though)
The real highlight of my caddy days was getting to sling a bag for Commander Jim Lovell. Not long after he returned from the Apollo 13 mission I was a 13 y/o kid and in total awe of the guy. A very nice man and a good tipper.
I've shaken hands with GHW Bush when he was campaigning for POTUS in 1980.
Met George Will on a flight from DC to the west coast. He was sitting in the row in front of me with one of his staffers and I got to talk to him for a couple minutes.
And finally, I stood in line for the bathroom with Lilly Tomlin at a restaurant in Rock Hill, SC. She (apparently) has family there and was in town for a family reunion
So for Packers fans I guess I should add Dorsey Levens to my list, though I knew him before he was famous. I was his supervisor while he was working a summer job in Security at Six Flags Over Georgia in the early 90's. We had quite a few Georgia Tech players working during the summer. We always had the best departmental softball team with all that college football talent on the roster!

Great Packers lineup - Donny Anderson's son worked for me for a number of years, I met Donny so many times I think I took it for granted - he has some incredible stories about his golf outings with Mickey Mantle.

Id love to have the opportunity to meet/talk to many of those people now that I'm an adult. Looking back, it was hard to imagine I could even carry on any kind of intelligent conversation with some of the folks of the stature I've met as a kid.

During that same period of time, I was able to meet General Honore, the guy who took over after everyone else screwed up the Hurricane Katrina response.

Did you get stuck on stupid? :p

Golf: Roger Cleveland and almost Arnold Palmer (I missed him by about 5 minutes because I was in a bunker practicing instead of heading straight into the grill room at Bay Hill :banghead: )

Other sports: Coach K, Glenn Robinson (all-time win leader in D-III men's basketball)

Entertainment: Jeff Dunham, Jim Breuer, Janeane Garofalo, Dave Chappelle, Michelle Branch, Mark McGrath (lead singer from Sugar Ray; he also accidentally kicked me in the back of the head while he was on stage)

I met Mike Eruzione on a flight out of Augusta. Wasn't Master's week.

Still don't know why he was in Augusta in the middle of June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've met a decent amount of the Royals, and Chiefs from back in the early 2000's when I worked at a golf course in Leawood, KS (Kansas City).
A few you'd know....
Raul Ibanez
Mike Sweeney
Joe Randa
Paul Byrd
George Brett

Some of the KC Chiefs players that same year....

Tony Richardson
Will Shields
Trent Green
Kevin Lockett (Tyler Lockett's Dad)

Others....
Coach Bill Snyder (Kansas State)

Some of the golfers I've met...

Tom Watson
Jack Nicklaus
Roger Cleveland
R.W. Eaks (shot the easiest 65 I've ever seen in person)
Jim Dent (Is not a nice guy when no one else is around)

Famous People you've met?

Keep meaning to add this encounter then it slips my mind, had a hour + encounter recently with Eric Compton. First, incredibly nice guy, wonderful story and had a healthy amount of humility. What was fascinating was his stories about his college roommate, Bubba Watson. What a train wreck of a personality. From damaging TV's in hotels rooms on the road, to disappearing for weeks on end to living in a trailer off campus it was one WTF moment after another. Couldn't believe half the crap I was hearing though when you see his antics it all kind of makes sense. Some people need to live on meds for a reason. Thank you Astra Zeneca

Last edited:
My great uncle sold shoes to the Harlem Globetrotters and Meadowlark Lemon came to his funeral and then the house afterwards. All I remember was that he had very large hands.

In 1979 I stood next to Telly Savalas in a restroom and was carefully watched by his bodyguard. After we were both done, I gave Telly change for the cigarette machine that he was beating up. He later came over to the table and met the people I was with and gave me his autograph. FYI, years later Telly died of lung cancer. Hope it was not from the cigarettes he bought with my change.

hahaha my dude from Firefly!!!! Awesome. He was hilarious on The Big Bang Theory.

Firefly. I was on that set numerous times. Good show. Never had a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No particular order:

Will Smith
Maury
Tiger
Sergio
Chi Chi Rodriguez
Eli Manning
Robinson Cano
Melky Cabrera
Gordon Ramsay
Rudy Giuliani
Samuel L. Jackson
Keanu Reaves
Jon Gruden
Eric Decker
Adriane Grenier
Kevin Connolly
Gary Woodland
Lee Trevino
Billy Joel

Most memorable has to be Adriane Grenier, Billy Joel, Maury, Eli Manning and Tiger

(Not so) Short story:

When I was a little boy growing up in Vancouver, I spent almost all of my time outside school playing hockey. A lot of it was street hockey, because ice was/is harder to come by in Vancouver than most of the rest of Canada.

Id play in the alley a lot. Sometimes the ball would roll down the driveway and under the fence of the house directly behind us.

There was an old man (maybe late 60's/early 70's) living there, and an even older (ancient old by a kids standards) man as well.

I never spoke with the super old guy (I don't think he was even strong enough to make himself heard). But the other older man (who I later learned was his son) was a mean old SOB that would yell at us for being too loud, and all kinds of other stuff.

I lost so many tennis balls in his backyard. But, I was terrified to even consider hopping his fence to retrieve them. That probably went on for years.
One day (by now I'm 11/12) I said 'screw it, I'm getting my ball back.'

Sure enough I get busted. I told him what I was doing, and lo and behold he calmed down and we started to talk, and then kept on talking.

The old man (his dad) was Fred 'Cyclone' Taylor, the hockey legend from the one and only time Vancouver ever won the Stanley Cup (early 1900"s; don't laugh).

Him and I would meet in the alley and talk regularly until we moved away.

I recently told my dad that story, and my dad was blown away.

My parents are from India. They came to Canada at a time when there were very few minorites (the polar opposite of what it's like now).

When my parents had just moved into the neighborhood that same old man that I befriended approached my father in the alley and told him he wasn't welcome in the neighborhood and 'better get the hell out if he knew what was good for him.'

I never knew that. I'm glad I didn't. That friendship I developed with that old man actually was really special to me.

I hate to get all philosophical, but when you are just looking at what makes others different from you, or from what you are used to, it can be easy to judge, or hate them. But then you get to know them, in my case with the old man, just talking about hockey, and you see them totally differently.

That same old man that had years earlier threatened my father was now friends with his son. I bet he looked more forward to those talks him and shared than I did.

Not a celebrity story, so my apologies.

When I was a kid met Howdy Doody.
Met Chi Chi in Puerto Rico
Met then Gov Bill Clinton.
Played 5 holes with Andy North.

Played golf with a few former Pirates, specifically Sid Bream and Sean Casey. Also was able to meet Bill Mazeroski.
Met and Sold a camera to Wiz Khalifa when I worked at Circuit City in high school.
Met Ben Roethlisberger at a Pitt Basketball game.
Met Chris Berman when the MLB All Star game came to Pittsburgh (I believe '06)

I met Larry Bird while dining at a hole in the wall restaurant in Chicago's Chinatown.

Almost ran into Kurt Warner crossing a street in Chicago.

I met Henry Kissinger and then German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder during my exchange year in Germany.

Flew from Orlando to L.A. in 1st class with Gary Busey, he is as strange in person as he appears on T.V. He never shut up, talked to anyone that would listen and annoyed the flight attendants to no end and reeked of booze. I was sitting behind him and it was not pleasant.

Back when I was in radio I met just about anybody who was anybody in Country Music from George Strait to Garth and on down...heck Shania Twain set in my lap once at a bar in Nashville!

I have also met a few golf celebs...Tom Kite, Ben Crenshaw, Lanny Wadkins and Lee Trevino

Sandra Bullock, Brad Pitt, and Sean Penn did a movie near where I lived and the Sheriffs Office I worked for had security duty so I met them.

On occasion I golf with a certain Redskins player who happens to be enshrined in a certain HoF located in Canton, OH.

On occasion I golf with a certain Redskins player who happens to be enshrined in a certain HoF located in Canton, OH.
There are a few Redskins in the HOF, can you be more specific?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

...heck Shania Twain set in my lap once at a bar in Nashville!
Details please.
I'm vicariously living through you tonight, so please make this a good story.
Embellish if you need to.

There are a few Redskins in the HOF, can you be more specific?

I'm guessing big #44.

I'm guessing big #44.

I first thought Theismann but then realized he wasn't in the HOF.

I've met a decent amount of the Royals, and Chiefs from back in the early 2000's when I worked at a golf course in Leawood, KS (Kansas City).
A few you'd know....
Raul Ibanez
Mike Sweeney
Joe Randa
Paul Byrd
George Brett

Some of the KC Chiefs players that same year....

Tony Richardson
Will Shields
Trent Green
Kevin Lockett (Tyler Lockett's Dad)

Others....
Coach Bill Snyder (Kansas State)

Some of the golfers I've met...

Tom Watson
Jack Nicklaus
Roger Cleveland
R.W. Eaks (shot the easiest 65 I've ever seen in person)
Jim Dent (Is not a nice guy when no one else is around)

Was it Hallbrook you worked at?

Back