Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons Review

I think the 850F are a huge jump from the 825Pro's - certainly not an evolution. I swung both at fitting (along with a bunch of other clubs) and it was night and day. A shame really as now the 825Pro's can be had for a good price and if they had been close, I would consider them for an extra (other location) set.

Aww, don't say that. I was fitted into my 825 Pros based mainly on their feel and consistency and was thinking that I'd let the 850s just sort of go by figuring they would be in the same ballpark performancewise. Now I feel like I need to try the 850s because they're that much better...

Aww, don't say that. I was fitted into my 825 Pros based mainly on their feel and consistency and was thinking that I'd let the 850s just sort of go by figuring they would be in the same ballpark performancewise. Now I feel like I need to try the 850s because they're that much better...

feel is a personal thing - you should swing them but I hope for you they feel the same :)

I have both the 825 Pros and 850 Forged and must say my initial thoughts upon release of the 850s was there wasn't any huge difference and I was content with the 825s. After a few more sessions I found the 850s to be longer and more forgiving. I still give the nod to 825s for feel but not by much at all.

I have both the 825 Pros and 850 Forged and must say my initial thoughts upon release of the 850s was there wasn't any huge difference and I was content with the 825s. After a few more sessions I found the 850s to be longer and more forgiving. I still give the nod to 825s for feel but not by much at all.

What shafts do you have in them?

Yeah, it'll all come back to the personal preference thing but it's a solid package. I mentioned in the review but my only big "knock" is the lack of a progressive nature through the set, that could take a nice set and make it even more balanced and solid...and EVERYONE is doing it now so holding out on a set like this is confusing.

But man, what a year of options for us, no one has really "missed the mark" yet.

Im going to just stick with your review on this one. Hit these today for about an hour.

I have a set with Nippon 1150s and another set with the Orochi. Your 825s are still a very solid set. It all depeds on what you are looking to get out of your irons.

I'm still looking for a set of shafts for these, I like the XP115's, but I can't help but wonder...

Jman, I don't know what you have tried or hit, but the Nippon 1150 stiff gave me the absolute best numbers with this head. Very, very stable shaft, firm tip, and launch/spin was optimal. I tried KBS Tour, XP115, Nippon 950, CTL, all in stiff flex. The XP was the closest in performance and feel, but less consistent distance. Really an incredible shaft, at least for me. They are reasonably priced shafts now a days also. Recently played Nippon 1050 in a set of Srixon Z-TX irons which are/were sweet, but the 850 Forged with this shaft is a great combo! I've also played the Modus 120 stiff in the past, and I like the 1150 better.

Nippon is my shaft of choice nowadays.

Got fitted into these beauties at Modern Golf with UST Recoil 95's. What a killer combo. These heads feel awesome, and combined with the Recoils there is a real energy through the ball. Great ball speeds - picked up 3 yards on average compared to my Z Stars. There's a slightly thinner topline and less offset compared to the Z Stars, but it doesn't feel like I'm giving up much if any forgiveness. The cost is huge for this setup at the moment, but I'm going to work to see if I can find a good deal through another outlet.

Got fitted into these beauties at Modern Golf with UST Recoil 95's. What a killer combo. These heads feel awesome, and combined with the Recoils there is a real energy through the ball. Great ball speeds - picked up 3 yards on average compared to my Z Stars. There's a slightly thinner topline and less offset compared to the Z Stars, but it doesn't feel like I'm giving up much if any forgiveness. The cost is huge for this setup at the moment, but I'm going to work to see if I can find a good deal through another outlet.

Curios if you tried the Srixon Z545 also and, if so, what you saw out of those vs. these. I have flirted many a time, including yesterday, with picking these up.

Curios if you tried the Srixon Z545 also and, if so, what you saw out of those vs. these. I have flirted many a time, including yesterday, with picking these up.
I didn't at the fitting, but I have in the past with KBS 90 as well as the stock DG. I would say the distance is pretty similar between the two, depending on shaft fit. I think the Z545 is probably a little more forgiving, particularly low on the face. Whereas I think the 850F feels and looks a little better - less offset and thinner topline.

Next time I'm at the shop I may try and do a direct comparison.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I didn't at the fitting, but I have in the past with KBS 90 as well as the stock DG. I would say the distance is pretty similar between the two, depending on shaft fit. I think the Z545 is probably a little more forgiving, particularly low on the face. Whereas I think the 850F feels and looks a little better - less offset and thinner topline.

Thanks. I need low on the face forgiveness so I am probably better off with the Z545. I do like the Recoil 95 shafts and hope you have success with them. Much easier on the old body IMO.

Thanks. I need low on the face forgiveness so I am probably better off with the Z545. I do like the Recoil 95 shafts and hope you have success with them. Much easier on the old body IMO.
No problem man. Don't have them yet, but looking to in the future. Agree, they sure feel nicer, especially when you don't hit it great!

The 545s actually have less offset across the board. It's funny how different shapes of the overall clubs play with your eyes. I've noticed this as well when I've compared sets going by memory rather than having them side by side. And even then it can be tricky.

I definitely agree w/ your assessment on low strikes. My miss is thin, and the 850F weren't great for me. They do, however, look phenomenal and feel great on solid strikes.

The 545s actually have less offset across the board. It's funny how different shapes of the overall clubs play with your eyes. I've noticed this as well when I've compared sets going by memory rather than having them side by side. And even then it can be tricky.

I definitely agree w/ your assessment on low strikes. My miss is thin, and the 850F weren't great for me. They do, however, look phenomenal and feel great on solid strikes.
Good deal thanks for the correction. I had no idea. Just goes to show offset isn't super important, at least IMO. You're right, the 850F are freaking gorgeous though!

Good deal thanks for the correction. I had no idea. Just goes to show offset isn't super important, at least IMO. You're right, the 850F are freaking gorgeous though!

Yeah - I had started a reply in another thread that I don't know if I actually posted, but for me irons are such a "total package" thing in terms of whether they suit my eye. I've liked irons with a ton of offset, and irons w/ no offset. No one feature defines what I like. The 850F are definitely one of the better looking irons in the bag and at address.

Yeah - I had started a reply in another thread that I don't know if I actually posted, but for me irons are such a "total package" thing in terms of whether they suit my eye. I've liked irons with a ton of offset, and irons w/ no offset. No one feature defines what I like. The 850F are definitely one of the better looking irons in the bag and at address.
Definitely agree with that. So long as they're clean and the total package looks good, I'm all for it.

I really hope you get these. Great clubs and great shafts.

I really hope you get these. Great clubs and great shafts.

Now I just need to talk myself into it haha. I honestly think I'm at the very least reshafting with Recoils, because they were awesome, but I loved these heads as well.

Now I just need to talk myself into it haha. I honestly think I'm at the very least reshafting with Recoils, because they were awesome, but I loved these heads as well.
Do it. Do it.

I preferred these to the 545 by a good bit. But, I was in the overwhelming minority when it came to the 545s anyways.

I preferred these to the 545 by a good bit. But, I was in the overwhelming minority when it came to the 545s anyways.

At first blush I agree, but I haven't spent extended time with the 545's so I'm not sure.

Compared to the Z-Stars, these heads have thinner toplines, less offset, and feel better, but are a little less forgiving low on the face.

I hit these today at a golfsmith. I have never had any real interest in trying these. Mostly because I am not smart. However with all the recent talk about them I decided to try my luck.
These clubs were really good. Distance was pretty consistent with my 545s even with a c+ swing. What was really impressive that they all flew super straight and I think I had 2 land on the line that they have on simulators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back