Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this one James, nice job! First thing that jumped out at me was the cleanness of the cavity with the lack of colored badging that stood out from a really clean look.

Pretty neat to here more about the flex face that OEM's are going after today.

I do like the little 1025 BORON stamp on the hosel but smart move by Mizzy of stepping away from BORON as a major marketing point.

These clubs are solid performers per the review and a nice evolution for Mizzy in this line.

I've been waiting for this review. Nice job. These are some of the nicest looking irons I have seen in a long time and they are currently #1 on my wish list.

Great thorough review James. This is a set I think I would enjoy. Maybe not a perfect match for my needs, but I like the concept and it sounds like there's some technology in them that differentiates them from past offerings.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Really enjoyed the write up James.
I will be test driving these clubs, on the first spring demo day.

Great review! Glad to see they did away with the blue badging on them. I just didn't like that about them, but the satin/chrome badging on these looks very nice!

Mizuno sure knows how to make a good looking club. I enjoyed this review. I doubt I could reasonably game these but love seeing all of the technology that went into these (as well as all the new releases from every company). Would like to at least hit these. Thanks James.

Very nice review and from someone who has been playing them since early September (probably around 8 rounds and a lot of range time) aligns closely to what I have experienced.

Great review! Glad to see they did away with the blue badging on them. I just didn't like that about them, but the satin/chrome badging on these looks very nice!
Isn't the blue badging on just the non-forged 850's???

Mizuno sure knows how to make a good looking club. I enjoyed this review. I doubt I could reasonably game these but love seeing all of the technology that went into these (as well as all the new releases from every company). Would like to at least hit these. Thanks James.
I've been playing these for the last 6+ weeks; I'm a high handicap player. I could be wrong, but I don't think these are a particularly hard club to hit, are they???
Now you have me concerned.
If my game goes in the toilet, I'm holding you responsible.

Great review Jman, these irons are simply stunning to look at as always is the case with Mizzie. I expected nothing but a great review on the performance as well.

I've been playing these for the last 6+ weeks; I'm a high handicap player. I could be wrong, but I don't think these are a particularly hard club to hit, are they???
Now you have me concerned.
If my game goes in the toilet, I'm holding you responsible.

If they work for you, then that is fantastic. Golf equipment is so personal. What works great for you, might be terrible for someone else. I just try to seek forgiveness wherever I can.

Great review, James. This set looks to sit in that segment of smaller sized irons with a good amount of forgiveness in them. However, my miss tends to be low, so I'm not sure this model would be the best for me. It is a nice looking iron set, and I was a fan of the sole shape in the JPX 825, which seems to have been carried over to these.

If they work for you, then that is fantastic. Golf equipment is so personal. What works great for you, might be terrible for someone else. I just try to seek forgiveness wherever I can.
My 1st yr of golfing, not really knowing anything about equipment, I used an old set of forged irons that had a relatively small club face. Its what I learned to golf with, so maybe anything in comparison is going to be easier.

My 1st yr of golfing, not really knowing anything about equipment, I used an old set of forged irons that had a relatively small club face. Its what I learned to golf with, so maybe anything in comparison is going to be easier.

That might very well be true and let me clarify that I am not saying that these arent forgiving. I havent even hit them.

Solid review, James. These are great irons for sure, and if it weren't for the flatly astounding Srixon Z545's, these would be my favorite iron that I've hit so far out of this year's releases.

Thanks all, they're solid irons, some I could legit play longer term. Massive bounceback for mizuno after last year.

I still like the performance of my 800-PRO's but I will definitely give these and the Apex a hit.

I still like the performance of my 800-PRO's but I will definitely give these and the Apex a hit.

I honestly believe they're the best mix of distance and forgiveness we have seen from them in the 800 pro/forged line yet. The distance gain from the previous versions was real in my experience.

Great review James! As a Mizuno CB forged player for the past 5 years, I was very tempted by these.

:banana:I got a set for my buddy coming UPS tomorrow. Wonder if he'll let me game em first.:blob:

Honestly with how comfortably I've grown into the C100's it would take a miracle to unseat them but the 825's came close in a sise by side demo.

Great review James. I enjoyed following along with the thread as well. These irons are another reason why I will be spending some quality time at the Mizuno tent this spring.

Great review James. I enjoyed following along with the thread as well. These irons are another reason why I will be spending some quality time at the Mizuno tent this spring.

Thank you! They're worth some swings, for sure. I'm sure the Mizuno faithful will absolutely love them, though the feedback blur will def be hit or miss for some out there.

They're fairly forgiving. I came off some older Ping G5's and wanted a smaller forged club head. I ultimately went with the 825 pros due to the price difference, but both the 825's and 850's were pretty good in terms of forgiveness. Definitely not a super hard iron to hit.

Back