Improving your swing or Buying equipment to work with what you have?

Improving your swing or Buying equipment to work with what you have?

• Fixing swing flaw to improve ?

Votes: 45 90.0%
  • Clubs designed to alleviate swing flaw?

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Been reading the club fitting portion of the forum and really enjoyed that. During this scan thru I noticed the varying handicaps indexes of the posters. Everyone has their own priorities and what they want to achieve in this great game we all love. Our golf motions as handicap golfers are really ever changing some for the good some for the worse. When you look at golf swing mechanics versus equipment that will help your current swing flaws which would you choose ?

would you go and work your butt off with lessons to improve the swing flaw and rid of it ?

or do you buy the equipment that offsets your current swing flaws ?

no right or wrong answers here. I do realize that fixing a swing flaw can become a full time endeavor. And may never be fixed for some

what do you choose? And what do you think would improve your game the most?

I'd rather take a mixture of both. I currently take lessons to improve my swing/game, however I will still get fit for clubs when I make new purchases.

I dont think they are mutually exclusive.

I prefer a bit of both. I don't have enough time to dedicate to improving my game that I will ever get to the point where I feel like blades are something I will be able to utilize effectively. I will instead try to improve, but still use clubs that help me when my swing isn't at its best.

Great question though

I'm in the lessons camp, but I am also in the camp that I have new(er) equipment custom fit to me by the best in the business.

I don't see any reason a golfer couldn't find a way to have a little bit of both lessons and new equipment.

FWIW,
I'm trying to improve my swing before I spring for a full fitting like I enjoy reading others post about. I think you should be close with you equipment as something way off won't help. But as for really dialing it in I think you need a repeatable swing to do that. Luckily I've picked up a ton of knowledge here, enough to make some changes to get me close on my set up, but I'm sure it's not perfect.

Get new equipment to maximize my potential with existing swing flaws. Then work on the swing flaws and reevaluate if the equipment fits current swing.

I think there's definitely room for both. My swing's changed a lot in the last few years, but my length/lie angles haven't made huge changes over that time. I think getting fit into the right specs in that regard there is going to help anyone regardless of where their swing is. This can also be easily changes as swing changes are made.

At the same time, my instructor suggested holding off on getting a shaft fitting until we worked on a few things and we weren't seeing big changes lesson-to-lesson. I came in launching the ball really high, partly because I was opening up the face and coming OTT - weak fades. I've since started releasing the club more consistently, but I still launch the ball on the high side. We played around with shaft choices, and were able to drop launch a little bit, giving me a bit more optimized launch numbers. But I see that as a tweak more than anything.

I'm probably in the small camp that hasn't ever taken any lessons, I might or might not take them sometime in the future. Right now lessons just aren't in the cards for me. I go out to the range and work on some things on my own, right now I feel like I have a swing I can play with and work on getting consistent with it. I take video and look to see if there is any glaring flaws and try to fix them, I have had Freddie look at a couple also.

More important to me right now is getting my current irons fit for me, they're just a standard L/L/L set and I plan on going to get the length and lie adjusted to what I need if it's not right. I think that will help a lot right now with a very limited time commitment to do it.

For now I'm staying with the belief that everyone has their own athletic swing and right now I'm just on a journey to find mine.

Both. Lessons typically take time for big changes to get grooved in. I can't see any reason why clubs you are fit for wouldn't be fine for at least a year or more. I think over time as you improve you would need less and less changes in your equipment.

I do take lessons periodically and the Instructor works with what I have with small changes to improve the basics, I do not have the time or body (see injuries) to practice the hours that would be needed to really correct my issues. So I do try to buy the best Equipment to fit what I have to work with and like to try different Shafts, Heads, etc. just because you never know what will click and what will flop until it is played under real conditions.

Work on the swing flaw and get the right equipment to have everything 100% dialed in.

I join those who say both (for the reasons they've already said).

Fixing the swing for sure. I don't have anything to back it up other than my own experiences, but someone with a proper swing can use just about any club they want. Sure there are some clubs that will be better than others, but a good swing can swing any club.

Maybe I am reading too much into the question asked in the OP, but there seems to be a perception that it's one or the other. That somebody who buys new equipment is doing so because they don't want to work on their swing.

Maybe it's just me overthinking, but the question seems very pointed.

There is no club that can fix anyone's swing flaw.

Maybe I am reading too much into the question asked in the OP, but there seems to be a perception that it's one or the other. That somebody who buys new equipment is doing so because they don't want to work on their swing.

Maybe it's just me overthinking, but the question seems very pointed.
I read it the same way. Its pretty simple to me. You play golf to have fun, if that means its brings you enjoyment to buy new equipment, then have at it. If your goal to improve and see lower scores, then hit that range and beat them balls until you get better. I dont feel like equipment makes peoples swing any better but it sure can help improve what your working with.

I'll work it out but not everyone can do that for many reasons, equipment will help some swing flaws but sound fundamentals help me more than anything.

I say a good mix of both. Swing changes take time to put in place and become comfortable with and some people don't have that time but finding clubs that benefit their game can help. It's all up to the person and what they feel is best

Definitely a combination of both. I'll typically buy equipment that is more forgiving to compensate for my flaws but once I improve I may purchase new equipment that is the next step up.

I'm in the lessons camp right now. I am definitely going to continue taking them to improve my swing flaws. But, at the same time I was fit for the clubs I have now.

I dont think they are mutually exclusive.

I agree. In some cases it's not a swing flaw (we don't all swing like Ben Hogan, after all), it's just a different way of getting the club to the ball that can be best facilitated by a fitting. If you had told me, a 32 year old athlete, that I would hit better with graphite shafts a half inch over standard, I would have said you were crazy. I wouldn't have gotten close to the bag I have now if not for getting a very specific fitting.

Further, much of golf is psychological. The confidence of a fitted set of irons is vastly underrated, IMO. Even if you leave a fitting with standard lie and length, stock through and through, you leave there confident that you're hitting clubs that match your swing.

No club will fix a poor swing however being properly fitted for your swing definitely helps...

Work on the swing flaw and get the right equipment to have everything 100% dialed in.
Agreed. I'd much rather work out a problem than paying for equipment twice, once to buy SGI equipment and again once I've got the swing sorted out.

A new set of irons would pay for quite a few lessons, and most likely make the game more enjoyable.

I am about fixing the swing. IMO it seems like clubs are designed to hide mishits rather than swing flaws.

Back