Blades Vs Cavity Back

Kang no you joined the fun! Pure entertainment in this thread.
Haha I've read every word in here. Indeed entertaining. People will just need to agree to disagree

You know my stance on it lol, it will never change. Play what you want to the best of your ability and enjoy it as much as you can, no one's getting off this rock alive.
Preach my man. This debate will go on for as long as golf is alive and well. I understand both sides no doubt, but what I don't really understand is one player telling another what he should or shouldn't play.

Preach my man. This debate will go on for as long as golf is alive and well. I understand both sides no doubt, but what I don't really understand is one player telling another what he should or shouldn't play.

Amen dude!

Sorry, just looking for some clarity. Just confused as you've mentioned good ball strikers can see the benefits of blades.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I asked Lee Westwood this very question (as well as a number of other tour pros). Their reasoning is the same reason that many others have given in this thread. Marginally more forgiving with other options, they are playing for large amounts of money and yes they miss. Why not have the item that gives them the best chance to succeed?

If anybody thinks Titleist is paying Spieth more to play his AP line than they would to play their MB line, they are confused.

I have not seen that from the CB side of the debate at all. In fact all I have seen is "play what you want to play". Now I have seen some with opinions passed as fact, and talking about items/characteristics that are being said about certain qualities that are completely off base, but thats the internet.

Always remember #OutingApproved :D

I asked Lee Westwood this very question (as well as a number of other tour pros). Their reasoning is the same reason that many others have given in this thread. Marginally more forgiving with other options, they are playing for large amounts of money and yes they miss. Why not have the item that gives them the best chance to succeed?

If anybody thinks Titleist is paying Spieth more to play his AP line than they would to play their MB line, they are confused.
Or Zach Johnson, who probably hits more mid to long irons than anyone on tour

I have not seen that from the CB side of the debate at all. In fact all I have seen is "play what you want to play". Now I have seen some with opinions passed as fact, and talking about items/characteristics that are being said about certain qualities that are completely off base, but thats the internet.

Always remember #OutingApproved :D

Oh I have no doubts and my post was actually geared more towards the blade guys that try to push it on playing anything other. It's crazy that it's even a debate that people try to push things onto others IMO, but people are definitely passionate about certain things. Like you said it's the interwebz where we all drive the ball 300+ and never ever miss 10 foot putts!

Oh I have no doubts and my post was actually geared more towards the blade guys that try to push it on playing anything other. It's crazy that it's even a debate that people try to push things onto others IMO, but people are definitely passionate about certain things. Like you said it's the interwebz where we all drive the ball 300+ and never ever miss 10 foot putts!

I agree buddy. People should play the equipment that makes them happy, because golf is fun.
And FWIW, I know you play MBs. And I know you played really well w/ hybrid irons too.

Really, people will continue to play what they want. I've gamed blades and player cbs for the last year and there really isn't much difference imo. Unless we're talking miura baby blades. Now those are whole another level of blades. Now compare miura cb 501 or cb 57 or cb1007 against a blade like srixon 945, then the differences are so minor it comes basically down to preference on what the player wants to look at.

Baby blades now those are a thing of beauty. Loved those

I agree buddy. People should play the equipment that makes them happy, because golf is fun.
And FWIW, I know you play MBs. And I know you played really well w/ hybrid irons too.

That's honestly why I think I have a unique stance on this debate and can offer insight from both sides. You hit the nail on the head I play golf because it's fun and in the end that's the only reason because if it wasn't fun for me I'd find something else to do. And FWIW to anyone you can work a ball with a Cleveland Altitude left or right and believe it or not down. Obviously not as much as other options but there's plenty of workability in all clubs.

Man I don't open this thread for a few days and next thing I know there's 5 more pages on TT app that I haven't read. I've got some catching up to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or Zach Johnson, who probably hits more mid to long irons than anyone on tour
Saw his bag at the John deere classic a few years back and the guy had a very uninternetgolfer setup with more fairway woods and hybrids than your average bear... including ap1 long irons, but what does he know...he's only won 2 majors...

Then again, he's not "playing what he loves"... he's playing what is good for his bank account.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Saw his bag at the John deere classic a few years back and the guy had a very uninternetgolfer setup with more fairway woods and hybrids than your average bear... including ap1 long irons, but what does he know...he's only won 2 majors...

Then again, he's not "playing what he loves"... he's playing what is good for his bank account.

Irrelvant argument IMO. Tiger Woods 14 majors but what does he know. Plays blades through his hole bag.

Irrelvant argument IMO. Tiger Woods 14 majors but what does he know. Plays blades through his hole bag.

It is pointless, but lets not forget where it started. It was started by saying that the best ball strikers in the world played blades. Which was shown to be not true. Then it was that the ones closest to the hole played blades. That was again shown not to be true.

More than 3/4 of the best players in the world have chosen to go in a different direction. And if you go across the boards of all major tours, the number actually goes up.

This thread has been a fun read. I don't really have an opinion on the subject other than to say that:
A) I don't play blades, but I play irons WAAAY beyond my striking ability. (FG Tour V4s)
B) I play them because I freaking adore them.

It is pointless, but lets not forget where it started. It was started by saying that the best ball strikers in the world played blades. Which was shown to be not true. Then it was that the ones closest to the hole played blades. That was again shown not to be true.

More than 3/4 of the best players in the world have chosen to go in a different direction. And if you go across the boards of all major tours, the number actually goes up.

I don't disagree. I do wonder what the actual number is though of tour players that play MBs. In this thread I've seen 12% 21% 30%. Yet I looked at the top 12 in ball striking so far this year and it's a 50/50 split MB vs CB. Now that being said 1/2 of those guys won't be there when everyone starts playing.

I don't disagree. I do wonder what the actual number is though of tour players that play MBs. In this thread I've seen 12% 21% 30%. Yet I looked at the top 12 in ball striking so far this year and it's a 50/50 split MB vs CB. Now that being said 1/2 of those guys won't be there when everyone starts playing.

Depends on the week, most weeks, its about 68-75% using CBs. THis being pulled directly from the Darrell Survey. Some tournaments last year were as high as 87% using CBs (most I saw), and I saw one as low (full field) as 64%.

I did not however check every week, just randomly pulled 14.

Depends on the week, most weeks, its about 68-75% using CBs. THis being pulled directly from the Darrell Survey. Some tournaments last year were as high as 87% using CBs (most I saw), and I saw one as low (full field) as 64%.

Good info thanks

Very true... although maybe Tiger should adopt Zach's setup... as he has been the better golfer over the past 5 years. (jk)

I guess my point, as JB said earlier, some of the world's best ball strikers are betting their livelihoods on cavity backs. If they need extra help, I could certainly benefit.

That said, play what you love!

This thread has been a fun read. I don't really have an opinion on the subject other than to say that:
A) I don't play blades, but I play irons WAAAY beyond my striking ability. (FG Tour V4s)
B) I play them because I freaking adore them.
That's what I'm talking 'bout

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

How are those determined to be which set as, just a guess, I'd think most are a mix set.

Good info thanks

One more thing I will add is that I think people get quite confused about cavity backs. There isnt a shot out there that a club like the 745 cant hit, or the J15, etc. Often times, that gets lost in the shuffle a bit. They have a tiny footprint as well and are as versatile as any iron out there.

Doesnt mean someone will like the look as much though.

This thread is interesting and surprisingly civil for being as big as it is.

However I agree with the majority that you should play what you want. I remember being a 20 HC and blades were the furthest thing from my mind. I think it comes down to one's consistency anyhow. If you can make a repeatable strike on the ball the type of club becomes less relevant IMO.

This thread is interesting and surprisingly civil for being as big as it is.

However I agree with the majority that you should play what you want. I remember being a 20 HC and blades were the furthest thing from my mind. I think it comes down to one's consistency anyhow. If you can make a repeatable strike on the ball the type of club becomes less relevant IMO.

Because this is THP... It we were on GolfWRX..... it would be a different story

One more thing I will add is that I think people get quite confused about cavity backs. There isnt a shot out there that a club like the 745 cant hit, or the J15, etc. Often times, that gets lost in the shuffle a bit. They have a tiny footprint as well and are as versatile as any iron out there.

Doesnt mean someone will like the look as much though.

The 745 are a fantastic iron as well as the J15cb. Comes down to the look between those and a MB for me. XR, AP1 type of club is where I tend to disagree. I'll say again trajectory is where I have problems with that type of club. I also don't find The J15 or 745 class to be all that much more forgiving than a MB. No numbers to prove this just range time. I really do wish I could get passed the whole tire company thing with Bridgestone, because they make some of the best looking irons out there.

Back