2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and Yes IMO. I love to light weight but don't have a gym membership any more so I do all most all body weight exercises. There are a ton of different body weight workout out there and they work great. I do however have a trx at home and do a lot of my workouts on there. I am a big fan of the TRX and it will not only improve your strength but your balance at the same time. Your core strength will increase. I would be more than happy to send you a list of the body weight workouts I do.
Sure! Give me an idea where to start in my quest for being at least not abysmally out of shape.

Every time this article comes around I like reminding myself to keep true atg squats to the bathroom.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/real-science-of-squat-depth

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ATG squats are not ideal or efficient. They can be borderline dangerous. One thing that a lot of people fail to do correctly when squatting is controlling the decent. A lot of people will "dive bomb" their squats. The one cue I always yell to a squatter that is dropping their butt, "CONTROL". Control your decent so you can get the most reaction out of the bottom of your squat.

After this past week+ I am really motivated to get back into strength training. I have spent so much time running and doing HIIT which has allowed me to lose 55 pounds, but I am realizing how weak I am. After being home I feel motivated to actually start lifting again and incorporating that into my workouts.

Yeah, that control is key for every lift. If someone asks me to spot them on bench and they are bouncing the bar, I won't hesitate to break out the death and dismemberment form before spotting for them again. Maybe not that extreme, but I definitely will say something.
ATG squats are not ideal or efficient. They can be borderline dangerous. One thing that a lot of people fail to do correctly when squatting is controlling the decent. A lot of people will "dive bomb" their squats. The one cue I always yell to a squatter that is dropping their butt, "CONTROL". Control your decent so you can get the most reaction out of the bottom of your squat.

I hear peoples knees blowing out all over the country.

I know you were being a bit cheeky, but I don't think the biggest problem with squats is people going too deep. I think it's too shallow. Proper squat technique has been destroyed by the awful personal trainers I see. Too many people with the bar resting on bone, breathing in an out during a rep, squatting to 90° (or where ever the lifter believes is 90°), and just no real understanding of the movement.

On top of all of that, if I am being paid by the hour as a personal trainer, and my client's likelihood of repeat business is dependent on the amount of sweat they produce in a training session, it takes a lot less time to coach walking lunges than it does a proper barbell squat. So instead of taking the time to understand, learn how to coach, and then to get a person to actually perform the movement, I am going to have my client do easy things regardless of their effectiveness or safety level. Like box jumps and walking lunges.

I know you were being a bit cheeky, but I don't think the biggest problem with squats is people going too deep. I think it's too shallow. Proper squat technique has been destroyed by the awful personal trainers I see. Too many people with the bar resting on bone, breathing in an out during a rep, squatting to 90° (or where ever the lifter believes is 90°), and just no real understanding of the movement.

On top of all of that, if I am being paid by the hour as a personal trainer, and my client's likelihood of repeat business is dependent on the amount of sweat they produce in a training session, it takes a lot less time to coach walking lunges than it does a proper barbell squat. So instead of taking the time to understand, learn how to coach, and then to get a person to actually perform the movement, I am going to have my client do easy things regardless of their effectiveness or safety level. Like box jumps and walking lunges.
Understand exactly what your saying. With several friends that are personal trainers for big box store gyms they say the same thing.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back at it today, Orange Theory class in 10 minutes. Christmas ham needs to be shed if I'm going to give Ryjo a run for his money in Alabama.

After this past week+ I am really motivated to get back into strength training. I have spent so much time running and doing HIIT which has allowed me to lose 55 pounds, but I am realizing how weak I am. After being home I feel motivated to actually start lifting again and incorporating that into my workouts.
Hell yeah dude! Like the plan.
Back at it today, Orange Theory class in 10 minutes. Christmas ham needs to be shed if I'm going to give Ryjo a run for his money in Alabama.
Keep kicking ass Freddie!

It's travel day and I really wanted to get at least some work in. Ran short on time and only got squats and bench press in. Now we are trying to figure out if we are even going to get home today. This winter storm that's coming is going to jack things up big time.

Got some running stuff for Xmas so I'm feeling more devoted to fitness right now. Quick 3 miler in the cold on Saturday and a 30 minute bodyweight circuit yesterday. Trying to get another 2 runs and 2 circuits in this week!

Get it done, sir!

At the few gyms I've been to, I definitely noticed the too low trend followed by lots of mobility work.

Had some good workouts in the last few days, Bench maintenance day on Christmas Eve, pulled 420 on Saturday and did a 3x3 at 245 on the bench today. Gained a few pounds from Christmas food but oh well. Body feels great. Hope y'all had a great holiday.

Was watching Brian Shaw getting ready for one of his meets coming up. He's an absolute animal. Literally gorilla sized lol

subwife bought us a Concept 2 rower for Christmas. I'm not a runner. Too hard on the knees. I've never liked stationary bikes or treadmills either. I travelled to Europe a lot in a past job and it seemed like all the hotels there had good quality rowing machines in their gyms. That's an activity I don't get bored with and I like the full body workout you get from rowing. So....we're going to give this a shot in 2016. I need her to start feeding us better and I need to hit the oars every day. I think I can do this.

I've been contemplating one of these things for a couple of years but hate parting with that kind of money for an exercise machine. The good news: if I ever get tired of it, used ones are fetching probably 80% of the cost of a new one so I can get most of my money back.

I did 5Km on the thing yesterday in 3 splits. I'm getting used to it but enjoyed it. Working on getting the technique correct first

subwife bought us a Concept 2 rower for Christmas. I'm not a runner. Too hard on the knees. I've never liked stationary bikes or treadmills either. I travelled to Europe a lot in a past job and it seemed like all the hotels there had good quality rowing machines in their gyms. That's an activity I don't get bored with and I like the full body workout you get from rowing. So....we're going to give this a shot in 2016. I need her to start feeding us better and I need to hit the oars every day. I think I can do this.

I've been contemplating one of these things for a couple of years but hate parting with that kind of money for an exercise machine. The good news: if I ever get tired of it, used ones are fetching probably 80% of the cost of a new one so I can get most of my money back.

I did 5Km on the thing yesterday in 3 splits. I'm getting used to it but enjoyed it. Working on getting the technique correct first
Rows are awesome. It'll all depend on what you want to get out of it, that will make the cost worth it or not.

I have a deep love for the rowing ergometer. I usually do HIIT workouts with it (I posted one earlier in this thread, but as I'm on my phone unable to link).

Here's an excellent YouTube video on rowing form:
https://youtu.be/zQ82RYIFLN8

Rowers are awesome. the Concept2 is one of the best available, for the price.

Remember. Tall chest. Legs, back, then arms on the push. Reverse it on the reload. That will keep the chain tight and not destroy your back.

I've been going to the gym every day and all I can say is I'm quite annoyed out YMCA just built a new location and it's world class, but what is with the rash of kids under 15 playing on equipment and the constant cell phone use while they are suppose to be working out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been going to the gym every day and all I can say is I'm quite annoyed out YMCA just built a new location and it's world class, but what is with the rash of kids under 15 playing on equipment and the constant cell phone use while they are suppose to be working out.

It can be frustrating. But I am on my phone a lot in the gym. I'm guilty. It's always between sets during my rests and I never have a problem asking people if they want to work it. It is a no no with dumbbells however.

It can be frustrating. But I am on my phone a lot in the gym. I'm guilty. It's always between sets during my rests and I never have a problem asking people if they want to work it. It is a no no with dumbbells however.

I like to think of this as my time for no distractions. Today my wife asked a girl (18-20) if she was still using something. The girl said yes, then went right back on her phone for another 3-5 minutes.

I travel for work so i doubt I get much use out of the gym. But for my wife's sake I hope the novelty of the new gym in town wears off soon, as it can be very frustrating to work out there.

I told my wife yesterday or the day before that if this was where I worked out everyday I'd quit the gym in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back