2* of lie make a difference?

Trey3d

Reaction score
Handicap
Had a friend tell me that my lie is off at least 2 degrees, how much of a difference will this make?
He had me setup on concrete and it is resting on the heel. I do have my hands below my belt buckle, and I am around 5'7. Had my best round playing with him on the 1st (81-79), he said I have a lot improvement just with the lie angle. Of course my chipping was the second worse thing.

Had a friend tell me that my lie is off at least 2 degrees, how much of a difference will this make?
He had me setup on concrete and it is resting on the heel. I do have my hands below my belt buckle, and I am around 5'7. Had my best round playing with him on the 1st (81-79), he said I have a lot improvement just with the lie angle. Of course my chipping was the second worse thing.

2* can make quite a bit of difference, but setup is not always the best way to determine this.

My miss is a pull, but I do not know if that is related to that. I did have a fitting on another set of irons and I was told I was standard. That was two years ago and I know that my swing has changed even without ever having lessons.

Agree it can make a lot of difference, but you need to get it dynamically checked to tell. Draw a line with a dry erase marker on the ball and place the ball such that the line is on the back of the ball, and it is perpendicular to the ground. Hit the ball and the line will transfer to your club face (don't worry, it wipes off). If the line is perpendicular to the leading edge of the iron, the lie angle is correct. If it's not, then you need an adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My miss is a pull, but I do not know if that is related to that. I did have a fitting on another set of irons and I was told I was standard. That was two years ago and I know that my swing has changed even without ever having lessons.

A pull is most likely from an over the top move, but it can happen for other reasons as well.

I always thought it mattered where you were at impact, not setting up. Look at a lot of driver setups, the toe is almost always up at address.

Not that lie angle isn't important. But I've always been checked at impact, not at address.

lie fittings can be just as crucial as shaft or club imo. I would suggest going through a proper fitting. Turf interaction can be manipulated with the improper lie for you. I had my irons fit 2 degrees upright and its made a huge difference for me

I always thought it mattered where you were at impact, not setting up. Look at a lot of driver setups, the toe is almost always up at address.

Not that lie angle isn't important. But I've always been checked at impact, not at address.

A good driver swing though shouldn't hit the ground, less worry of the heel hitting first and causing issues.

I've noticed it makes a huge difference. Changed my ball flight. And it should be determined by hitting the ball and seeing turf interaction with the sole, not at address statically.

If your clubs are potentially 2° too upright, that can definitely contribute to a shot that goes left, but as stated above you need to do a dynamic test to see what happens at impact. If you are 5'7" and playing standard length clubs, you most likely should have flatter lies. I'm 5'10" but have long arms and play at 2-3° flat

It made a difference to me. When I was fit for my C200s, I was fit into 2 degrees flat. Had a lot more center contact (before it was a lot of heel strikes) and less going left with my shots.

I do have longer arms for my height, I have not pulled a shot with my irons in 10 rounds with my newer swing. My ball flight is high (to most people, probably perfect height) with KBS Tour 110 Regulars. I have a slight fade to a slight draw with my irons right now. As in they start to the right or left till the apex then fall the other direction. We will see Saturday at Club Testing with no rounds this weekend because of rain.

It made a difference to me. When I was fit for my C200s, I was fit into 2 degrees flat. Had a lot more center contact (before it was a lot of heel strikes) and less going left with my shots.

My miss hits are at the heel...

My miss hits are at the heel...
location of the face wont change a ton with lie adjustments. Its how open or closed the face is going to be at turf interaction that will change the most

It was dramatic for me. My current irons were fit 2° flat, after a re-fitting, and my contact is better and my consistent left miss has been eliminated.

I just need to get fit to these irons. Should be simple enough. :drinks:

I just got fitted a few weeks ago and my gamers off the shelf were 2° upright.
While I agree, a straight pull is an over the top swing issue, I was getting a draw/hook ball flight due to the bend.
Even on good swings, heel would hit first and turn the club over the slightest bit causing it.

Haven't received my new clubs yet, but in the fitting the draw/hook action pretty much disappeared and I was getting a much more consistent straight ball flight with a standard lie.

In my case, 2 degree lie adjustment means from fading to straighter shot. It happened with my #5 iron, lie adjustment from 61.5 to 59.5 degree.

My irons are fitted to 2* upright. My wedges are 2* flat.

i love the way my wedges set up to the ball. The reason they are flat is when I was fitted all my shot were left of the target line and my contact was in the heel side.

I might get my 6-pW bent flatter yet

next time at the range I am going to compare my ballfight between my gap wedge at 2* flat and my PW at 2* upright

During my fitting, I switched from standard to 2* up and my dispersion was dramatically smaller. Pretty much sold me on the importance of it.

Too bad my current irons can't have their lie adjusted... (from what I'm told).

My irons are fitted to 2* upright. My wedges are 2* flat.

i love the way my wedges set up to the ball. The reason they are flat is when I was fitted all my shot were left of the target line and my contact was in the heel side.

I might get my 6-pW bent flatter yet

next time at the range I am going to compare my ballfight between my gap wedge at 2* flat and my PW at 2* upright

So you swing your wedges differently than the rest of your clubs?

It makes a huge difference for me. I see it every time I review a set of irons at standard then bounce back to my fit irons at 2 up.

YES YES YES

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I went from a standard lie to a 2* up because I tend to hit my irons toe down, rather than center or heel hits but I guess a lot of it depends on your swing.

This is a bit timely because I was checking out a set of irons yesterday. Unfortunately the store didn't have the longer shaft I usually play, but they did have the 2 degree upright lie head that I play.

So I had a standard length shaft with the 2 degree upright club head. I tried to convince myself I was swinging an 9 iron instead of a 7 iron, but it didn't feel right at impact. I kept hitting with the toe first. It took me about 15 shots to adjust to the club. I was hitting the new Cobra F6 and the King Tec Forged. This is why proper fitting is important.

Back