How Many Rounds Do You Need?

It's really tough to say for me. Last year, I had 33 handicap rounds, which was my most by far. But my best stretch of golf by far was in the early spring coming off of a winter where I swung a club once a month at best. I'd say to maintain my current level, I need to play at least twice a month when weather permits and try to play indoors in a simulator around once every 6 weeks when I can't get outside.

To improve, I probably need to play a bit more often than that, but after last year, I can't really say that just playing more rounds will mean I improve. Naturally, if I were to double my rounds or something drastic like that, I think it would help. But unfortunately, that's not going to happen for the foreseeable future, so what I really need to do is find some way to work on my short game without sacrificing the limited amount of time I have to play. My current thinking is to brainwash the oldest kid into wanting to go to the course with me.

I don't feel it is a number of rounds thing as much as it is a keep the swing going thing. That can come from rounds or from a lot of practice for me. The rounds are nice because it gives a score and a different feedback from hitting balls swing after swing. I am lucky enough to play year round so one season runs into the other and each year I have gotten a little better.

I think I could play 12 rounds a year or less and stay where I am at now. I am playing about once every 2 to 3 weeks now, with no practice so it wouldn't be a big drop off.

I don't think I necessarily improve by playing more rounds. I get better through time on the practice green and range and the helpful eye of a professional.

15-20 to maintain but the number to improve would depend on how much I expected to improve. I want to go 6 strokes lower this year so I think it will take every round I have a chance to play to accomplish that goal.

i would say 30 to maintain, 60 to really improve

I played 60 rounds this past year and didn't really improve that much, I think not being forced to take 4/5 months off every year would help more.

30 to stay the same, and probably actually practicing at all or even on halfway decent conditions/practice areas would help more than anything.

i would say 30 to maintain, 60 to really improve

Those would be my numbers but for the improve I would add I'd like once/twice a week practice (90 minutes).

That said, I am planning on more than 60 for next year. I'd like 2-3 times per week in season (April-October) and 3-4 rounds per month November-March which would translate to 75 rounds in season and 20 or so off season.

probably 26 rounds to maintain my play

to get better it wouldn't be as much about the number of rounds, more about the number of quality, focused, practice sessions, of which i need probably once a week to see a steady improvement(Edit: I play as much as my life/wife will allow as is, so for me it's more about the practice to get better than just playing more, got 50-60 in '15 and will probably do the same in '16)

I am going to say 30 to 40 in year and I can maintain my current form even improve upon it. This is with very little practice but smart practice when I do venture out.

I would think 20-25 to maintain and 30+ (including practice sessions) to improve

30 to maintain where I am, 50-60 to improve.

For me it is more than just rounds. Regular practice - one or two times a week - matters at least as much.
Agree, putting in the time and work as well as lessons from a professional, their feedback is paramount to my success, otherwise I'm just practicing or playing with the same bad habits!

I'm going to say 2 to remain the same I've been roughly the same player for years.

If I could play 30 rounds a year I believe I could improve. However I would love for that number to be much much higher.

to maintain, 25
to improve, 70+

Great question, I played about 40 rounds last year and while that was a ton less than I wanted, I don't think I regressed, but I didn't improve at the pace I wanted to either.

I think ideally 70-80 rounds would be nice.

To maintain my current level, I would say 50+ rounds a year and to improve close to 100 rounds plus lessons every 2 to 4 weeks.

I typically play 20-40 rounds a year and maintain the same throughout, but half of those are me trying to squeeze in a round really quick so I don't get to practice like I want. If I can get to 25-30 and get in some good range time I will start to improve. This year I got worse as the year went on because of those quick rounds and a lack of range time.

For me it's not so much about rounds as frequency. If I can play 3-4 times in a week or two, that does much more for me than playing 3-4 times in two months.

If I am being honest I'd say at least once a week. If I am going off of what I would like, at least 2 a week. Now if I couple practice sessions with these rounds I could do one round a week and at least 2-3 hours of practice a week and I think I would be able to stay consistent. To improve, I would say for me at least twice a week with practice also and lessons.

In season, I'd need 4 rounds per month to come close to maintaining (24 ish rounds). To improve, I think I need to be in the 35+ rounds area, maybe even 40+.

Twenty to twenty five I'd guess.

It apparently doesn't matter either way for me. When I play every week I average just over 100. When I don't play for a while I end up shooting just over 100. Lessons haven't changed that. Putting lessons may, but I've been talking about that for a year without actually doing it.

I was only able to get out 30 times or so this year and was able to maintain. So that's my number there. To improve, easily triple that.

Back