Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The following is a press release:

JANUARY 05, 2016 - INNOVATION SHAPES THE NEW NIKE RZN TOUR GOLF BALL

RZN_Tour_beauty_hd_1600-L.jpg

Rock Ishii, Nike Golf’s Senior Director of Innovation for Golf Balls, and his team of engineers are constantly looking into the future to find ways to modify the ball so that it performs better.

Since launching its first ball in 1999, Nike Golf has continuously found ways to break traditional molds and discover new construction methods and materials that give the athlete the best possible tool to succeed at the highest level. These include scientific investigations — in physics and aerodynamics — and material explorations for each layer in the ball. The result is an unwavering pursuit of improvement in distance, feel and spin.

2000 — Tour Accuracy: Nike created one of the first solid-core golf balls, a technology that helped Tiger Woods win more than 20 tournaments, including four consecutive major championships in a four-year span.
2003 — Nike One: One of the industry’s first four-piece construction golf balls.
2011— Nike 20XI: The first RZN core was introduced, bucking conventional methods by using a new lighter and faster core that allowed weight to move to the perimeter for better stability.
2014 — Nike RZN: This ball took RZN material to a new level with Speedlock technology.

Nike Golf’s latest advancement is the RZN Tour ball, engineered to feel soft without sacrificing distance.

“We still have so many opportunities to innovate the golf ball,” says Ishii. “This is innovation. This is where we are now. And we are heading toward our future.”

RZN TOUR

Featuring a four-piece urethane cover design, the RZN Tour ball utilizes four key components: RZN 4.0, Speedlock X Core, Speedlock Mantle and Flight Suit Cover. These combined technologies help propel the RZN Tour/Black and RZN Tour/Platinum balls to added yardage and a softer feel, versus the previous RZN Black and RZN Platinum.
“The ball feels much softer, yet I’ve maintained my ball speed and even picked up a few yards overall,” declares Nike Golf athlete Rory McIlroy. “It’s easily the best combination of distance and feel I’ve ever played.”

GL0746-101-PHSFD000_square_1600-L.png

GL0745-101-PHSFD000_square_1600-L.png

Made with the newest iteration of RZN material, RZN 4.0, the blue center core is not only softer but also 10 percent bigger than the previous generation. This gives the ball what amounts to a bigger engine, thus unlocking faster ball speeds.

Speedlock_widescreen_native_1600-S.jpg

The core utilizes Speedlock X technology. It features deeper grooves and a X-shaped surface pattern, which creates 26-percent more surface area than the former generation to allow better energy transfer through the ball and ultimately provide more distance and faster ball speeds. Surrounding the core, the Speedlock Mantle and its Speedlock grooves help engage the cover of the golf ball for greater spin on shorter shots with high-lofted clubs.

The ball’s Flight Suit cover features visible technology: 344 dimples and 13,558 micro dimples. To achieve longer ball flight, engineers utilized advanced aerodynamics by adding the micro dimples, strategically spread across the cover of the ball, which help facilitate improved lift and drag properties, especially at the end of the ball flight.

SP16_GLF_RZN_Ball_Tech_FLIGHT_SUIT.eps_square_1600-L.jpg

SP16_GLF_RZN_Ball_Tech_SOFTER_FEEL.eps_square_1600-L.jpg

The RZN Tour ball will be available in two versions: Black for lower-spin distance and Platinum for mid-spin control.

Nike_RZN_Tour_Platinum_hd_1600-S.jpg
Nike_RZN_Tour_Black_hd_1600-S.jpg

RZN SPEED

In addition to the RZN Tour, Nike Golf engineers also created the RZN Speed golf balls, two new three-piece constructed balls designed for ultimate forgiveness and softer feel.

The same Speedlock X Core technology from the RZN Tour ball helps maximize energy transfer for faster ball speed and ultimate forgiveness, while a softer RZN formulation provides a softer feel without sacrificing distance.

The RZN Speed ball will be available in two versions: Red for longer carry and White for softer feel.

Nike_RZN_Speed_Red_hd_1600-S.jpg
Nike_RZN_Speed_White_hd_1600-S.jpg

Both the RZN Tour and RZN Speed golf balls will be available on January 22 at nike.com and January 29 at select retailers.

the Flight Suit looks awesome. 13,558 micro dimples - that is detail!

The mini dimple pattern is pretty interesting. The core change is neat, but I can't physically see that as much as I can a bunch of little dimples inside of dimples.

I like hearing "softer feel". That's been the issue with the RZN balls in the past. It's gotten better since the original 20XI ball, but the balls still feel pretty firm in relation to some of the other competitors.

The tech is seriously impressive.

And a longer Rory? Wow.

Nike heard you liked dimples.
The mini dimple pattern is pretty interesting. The core change is neat, but I can't physically see that as much as I can a bunch of little dimples inside of dimples.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

How do you pronounce the name? Is it the initials R-Z-N or is it raisin, resin?

Hah, literally no joke just posted about these in the "Pondering Thread." These look pretty interesting to me. I really didn't mind last generations "Black" model, as I found it really felt solid off the tee and had insane distance. Cant wait to give these a try!

Nike heard you liked dimples.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah they went a little Oprah style on delivering them.

JB, are these by chance the ball that some THP'ers got in their holiday grab bags?

Oh Man, the technology in these looks amazing. Something we've (at least I haven't) seen before in the design of the core. I hope we get to hear from some of the engineers on what specific benefits it has over the traditional core. I did read the description in the review, but am interested to hear more about it, seems very unique. I'm very anxious to try out some of the Fly line. I believe our Pro just got his staff allotment in today, and he's out of the office, wonder if he'd miss a sleeve...ha

They sure nailed the packaging IMO!

The tech and marketing sounds amazing. Now to see if actually equates to real world performance. Nike golf balls have been pretty bad for a lot of years. They need to be softer and by a lot

Interesting technology and it's been awhile since I liked a nike ball and to date haven't found any of the rzn balls to perform for me like Bridgestone or Srixon. Im always up for finding a ball that works and will have to check these out at some point

I'll let you guys know how these are since apparently I'm the only person to ever purchase nike golf balls haha

I still have some of the 20XI-X I picked up when they were $15 a dozen. While the feel wasn't good they had the broadest range of low spin on the driver to high spin on the wedges. I like to hear they are improving feel and would give these a try sometime.

This may actually be the first Nike ball i willingly play since the One Tour

the flight suit cover is extremely intriguing. And I'm all for softer feel on these. Might have to pick up some blacks to see how they are.

My question more than anything, becomes cover durability.

I will be trying whichever ball the RZN proto* ball was or closest to. That cover is soft and feel off a non insert putter was great.

So interesting even the layers have the color scheme.

I definitely want to try the RZN Speed White.

The last Nike ball I consistently played was the One Tour D. Everything since then has been way to hard and compression rate was too high for me to see any benefit. With the Tour black and platinum coming in at 79 (black) & 74 (platinum) compression iirc, it will definitely be a ball i'll try out.

Very interesting technology, especially if any or all of it helps, and cool marketing names and packaging.

I've enjoyed some Nike 20XI balls in the past, haven't tried any RZN but I'd like to check these out some time.

I'm definitely interested in a softer feeling ball. Last year I split time between my old favorites (e6 & B330) and the Wilson Duo because it was so much softer feeling. It's also my big knock on the Pro V1s, their clickyness off a putter.

I'll have to give RZN Platinum another shot this spring.

these are quite interesting. I've played last year's RZN and love it for child weather golf. I will say Nike is getting better with the ball again. I used to play the Nike one: platinum and loved it. Maybe a sleeve or two of these will sneak into my bag this year.

Back