THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Since this is a team event you will most likely be relying heavily on your teammate during this event. So I ask you these questions...

What type of teammate do you think pairs well with your game?

We know we will be playing 36 holes. Do you prefer to play with a different teammate for the second 18 or do you think playing with the same teammate all day is more effective?

Depending on format of course, but I like to be paired with someone who hits the ball a long way, it helps me reach the green in reg.
Io like to have fun, maybe listen to music, and socialize a bit.

I don't mind staying with the same partner for 36 holes, especially when we are kicking butt!

I'd be open to changing things up also if we struggled.
Go with the hot hands!

Since this is a team event you will most likely be relying heavily on your teammate during this event. So I ask you these questions...

We know we will be playing 36 holes. Do you prefer to play with a different teammate for the second 18 or do you think playing with the same teammate all day is more effective?

Someone longer than me off the tee if it's shamble. We have plenty of big hitters in Ohio so that's not hard to do. But someone who is fairly consistent and long off the tee takes any stress off of me. Other than that someone who just plays consistent that I can feed off.

Depends on the partnership. There are a couple guys around here that I could play all 36 with and think it would work out fine. But it may depend on the game types.

I think anyone would pair well with me. I think someone who is solid around the greens would suit me well because that is my kryptonite the past few years...I've lost that love and feeling around the greens. I think a pairing with CJ would be fun.

Honestly I'm down for either. I'll play with the same or switch it up if the vibe isn't there.

All I can ask from a teammate is that they are prepared and like to have fun competing. Therefore, I think a lot of guys would pair well with me. Note that I like a talkative guy, though.

As for the second 18, give me a new partner is ideal. Changes up the scenery, the mood, and if the first pairing isn't ideal, hopefully this one is.

Kind of teammate:
The kind that is serious enough to care and fun enough not to be uptight. I think someone who has a lethal short game would pair well depending on the format.

I think mixing up the pairings for the 2nd 18 would be preferred for me. I don't know many people yet....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. I don't hit the bar really far but would say I hit it far enough, can get it out there past 265-275, more if the course is really dry. 530 is around my max for getting there in 2 with two good shots, 480 and under I consider fairly easy to get there in 2. When I am off my accuracy goes to hell so optimally someone who is a little straighter than me is best, especially for the length we will be playing. Not that I wouldn't take someone bombing 300, one of us will probably find a playable ball. I am a really decent putter I would say and my short game is decent but love a partner who is deadly from 50-100 yards. I am also a fairly positive person but don't mind playing with someone who might get frustrated, would like to think I make a good balance.

Kind of teammate:
The kind that is serious enough to care and fun enough not to be uptight. I think someone who has a lethal short game would pair well depending on the format.

I think mixing up the pairings for the 2nd 18 would be preferred for me. I don't know many people yet....

you will once spring hits. First time I played with anyone here was November and now I feel like I have meant a ton of the Ohio guys. We had 12 guys one day at Sleepy Hollow on like 1 week notice.

This is what I was thinking. I think a couple of us drove through it last year didn't we?

(Also, I may not be available for the event, but practice rounds, I'm down)

Google earth has it 288 from the back of the white tee box to run through it

Good question, I would want a partner that is fun and doesn't mind a couple drinks in the cart. They like to have the music going and just have fun. Style wise isn't really important, especially being we don't have a format, but I do like a partner that makes Birdies. Honestly I can play golf with anyone, I'm not great in any particular aspect but there isn't really any part of my game that I think is horrible either.

I guess the teammate would depend on the format, but going off of previous event experience i can guess what the formats would be. So someone who crushes it off the tee isnt a must. Just need someone to find the fairway so i can swing away off the tee. But honestly i think personality is more important than skill for me. As long as we can gel as a team, the play will take care of itself.

As far as switching or staying the same for each round, I have two thoughts on this. If you stay together for both rounds, by the second round you will have better chemistry and will be able to adjust to whats happening on the course faster. BUT, imo that sort of takes away from the entire team experience a little bit. Especially with this only being a one day event. I would want to rather tee it up with two teammates instead of one, but its not a must. In the Grandaddy i was paired with Rallo for all 45 holes and it was a blast. I really enjoyed the chemistry we were able to build up over the two days. But in gatherings weve had in the past it was nice being able to mix up the groups. Im honestly 50/50 on that one and would be excited for either outcome

I am not a big fan of the high strung, self loathing golfer. Especially in an event dictated by handicap, where each hole matters, I like someone who can easily erase a bad shot from memory, and laugh about the bad shots we ALL hit. I also like someone who can apologize twice, once before the the round, and once after... And never in between hahaha!

This is about team, so why not mix it up to max fun!

I guess the teammate would depend on the format, but going off of previous event experience i can guess what the formats would be. So someone who crushes it off the tee isnt a must. Just need someone to find the fairway so i can swing away off the tee. But honestly i think personality is more important than skill for me. As long as we can gel as a team, the play will take care of itself.

Hi Phil!

Most importantly one that likes to have fun and remembers that golf is a game, and we all hit bad shots from time to time. If you are a club thrower/sulker after every bad shot, Im not gonna mesh too well with you generally. Strategically from a golf perspective, I'd probably do well with a slightly bigger hitter for a partner. I am pretty consistent and straight, but max out around 250 (which feels like 175 at least on the internet :). Pretty accurate with my irons on approaches so could take advantage of a big hitters tee ball with a shorter iron in hand.

I'd definitely vote to switch partners after 18 holes. Can meet more people this way, and if for some reason your first pairing doesn't work out so well, can always look forward to the next one and start fresh. Unfortunately I have seen some team events with blind draws for partners where it can go south quickly, especially in a format like alternate shot or something. Obviously hope that wouldnt be the case at a THP event.

In partner events I have played in, typically I play better with someone who enjoys the moment and not necessarily laser focused on his shot like his dinner is going to depend on it.

Hard to say if playing with the same teammate would be more effective without knowing who they are. I would say mix it up at this point to get people to play with other THPers.

Last edited:

I want someone who is gonna have fun, can discuss which shot is the best play and why, someone straighter than me off the tee.

It doesn't matter to me, switching allows for playing with more peeps but I'm in for what's best for the team.

I think I can play good with just about anybody. If somebody is consistent off the tee that's good, as I can get erratic. But lately I've been much better off the tee. More important I guess is personality. The only person I struggle to play with is the one who is ultra serious and cussing/yelling every bad shot like it's Sunday on the tour.

I wouldn't mind mixing it up after 18, just for social reasons. But I definitely think staying together all day would build chemistry and possibly increase chance of winning. On the last 9 holes of day one Grandaddy we did true alternate shot, and it really helped that I had been paired with Mike for the previous 18.

I am not a big fan of the high strung, self loathing golfer. Especially in an event dictated by handicap, where each hole matters, I like someone who can easily erase a bad shot from memory, and laugh about the bad shots we ALL hit. I also like someone who can apologize twice, once before the the round, and once after... And never in between hahaha!

This is about team, so why not mix it up to max fun!

You talking to me?? Ha ha I'm like a fart in the wind sometimes. When I get excited look out.

The type of teammate that pairs well with me is someone who can remain lighthearted and laugh thought out the event. I golf for fun! Don't get me wrong I love the competition and actually play better with it. But at the end of the day I am not the one getting so serious that the game is life or death. I need a partner who can enjoy at least part of that mentality. We golf for the enjoyment. Also someone who is longer off the tee helps as I am not a long ball guy.

I prefer to switch partner after 18 holes as it keeps the dynamic fresh and entertaining. Also it gives you a bit of a chance to relax and know you are starting with a new partner for a new round.

I think I have the type of game that pairs well with anyone. I can adapt to whatever is needed: hit first check, hit last check. What I am looking for is someone who can laugh at them self when they hit a bad shot and move onto the next. Someone that knows how to respect the game, play serious, have fun, and share a drink and a laugh after the round - you know the type of guys/gals on THP.

I could go either way on this one. If you and your partner were on fire during the first 18. I could see wanting to keep the momentum and play with the same partner. On the other hand the best part of THP is the people. So the chance to change up partners and play with someone new would be great as well

THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Yea.....Michigan is GREAT!!!
2625986a13c55c58a6ad6e883af8d1c9.jpg

It's like algal blooms have never stopped Toledo residents from drinking city water before...

And let's be honest, Flint is, for the lack of a better word, a $#!thole. Not at all indicative of the state of Michigan.

flinttropics.png

I'm sure that with our captain having the skills he does, we could make our team uniform something resembling this...golf style. I saw Stanford had numbers for the NCAA golf.

bd8b49cb4ad5be78ff8be1f88c7e2bec.jpg

Back