UST Mamiya & THP Shaft Spectacular - February 2016

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
You have read about it for the last couple of months and today THP is kicking off the 2016 THP UST Mamiya Shaft Spectacular. Each month two lucky THPers get the tour treatment as 2016 continues to #ChangeTheGame

When & Where
February 26th & 27th
They will be happening every month through July
UST HQ in DFW, TX

Cost & What's Included
There is no cost at all to you, outside of your traveling expenses (airfare, hotel, etc). Your days there are on THP & UST and that is complete with all of the below.
Tour the UST Facility
Test Product on Launch Monitor
Get fit for new product
Equipment involved
Round of Golf
And much much more

Itinerary
Friday - 2/26
Tour UST Mamiya
Equipment & Shaft Talk & Education
Lunch
Fitting
Dinner

Saturday - 2/27
Golf

How To Get Involved
Getting to be a part of this special program will be by sign up each month in the respective threads. Your 2016 Albatross Club membership is your key to unlock this and many other programs on THP. If you are not a member, and want information on how to join and help support the Humane Society shelters and animals in need, click here.

It Said Equipment What Does That Mean
It changes every month and the program will be different every month. One month it might be all about the driver, the next month it could be irons and so on. It will be a surprise when you walk through the door and are greeted by THP & UST and you never know what will be included. The only thing we can say on this is, prepare to be surprised and no two months will ever be the same in their entirety.

Signing Up
Each month, two lucky THPers will get their names called and head to something very special and every single month it will be different. Danny Le and THP have put together some different itineraries that will keep the program fresh and fun all year long. Remember that if you are lucky enough to get to experience this, you will be tasked with reviewing what you receive on THP.

Signing up is as easy as posting in this thread some pretty basic information. We want to know what shafts you are playing and why? Give us the info on driver, fairway wood, hybrid, irons, wedges and/or even putter. You can give us the info on one of them or all of them, but make sure you tell us why as well. That will add one entry into the hopper for being drawn. You can gain a second entry in the hopper by Tweeting (sending out on Twitter) why you want to go to this and include a link to this thread as well as @THPGolf @USTMamiya & #ChangeTheGame

Its that easy and then next week, THP will announce the two lucky participants that will get to experience shaft nirvana with THP & UST.

UST.png

On my Taylor made R15 driver I'm using a speeder 757 x stiff drive,
the standard stiff shafts from taylormade sldr for my fair way woods,
on my apex/apex pro irons I'm using KBS v110.
J15 52* (bent to 50) 56* and 60* with aerotech steel fiber 110 stiff shafts
Reason for all of them is that's what they came with when I got them. I've never been custom fit for shafts. This would be an amazing opportunity to do so.
Also, stock putter shaft on my TM putter, I honestly didn't know you could be fitted for a putter until I went on UST's website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is well...
Spectacular!

This is on my hopeful list to attend one month, but the Dates don't work for me this month.
Fingers crossed for upcoming months!

Another great kickoff! Here we go!

JM

So EFFIN awesome, here we go!!!

driver - PX HZRDUS THP custom green shaft - play it because it holds a special place with me as I received it as being part of the THP staff. Fortunately for me, I ran it against 4 other shafts and it has given me the best results. I see less dispersion as compared to the others and improved overall stability.
fairway wood - N/A - don't play one
hybrid - Play the KK TiNi shafts in my hybrids. They are the stock shafts and fit me very well through trial and error. Like it because I don't balloon them as I do many other shafts.
irons - UST Recoil F4 110. I was fit into these by a professional and while I don't have a "need" for graphite due to wrist/elbow issues, these just seem to fit my game extremely well. I'm a high launch high spin player and these do a good job of keeping those in check and I can also flight without issue.
wedges - play the stock shafts in the MD3's. They work well but I'm always open to improving.
putter - stock shaft. While I've never gamed a fitted putter shaft I do know that UST makes them and I'm intrigued by that.

Awesomeness has arrived. While the dates for Feb don't jive for me I definitely will be following along.

another awesome
event. jb- are there going to be new threads each month?

• Admin
another awesome
event. jb- are there going to be new threads each month?

Yes sir there will be. And live update threads for each one as well.

February Entry:

All shafts I play, except driver and putter, are a result of fittings either at Callaway's ECPC, or Miles of Golf in Michigan.
I play TT DG S400 in my irons because these gave me the tightest dispersion, lowest ball flight (high ball hitter) and we went with the 400 just for the additional 2 grams to help with consistency of swing.

Driver shaft is the Xphlexxx Agera. I wasn't fitted for this one. This was bought and selected via research and recommendations. I needed a low launch, low spin shaft for my driver. I couldn't get anywhere near the spin I was seeking so I was told to try this shaft for spin and launch, but also consistency.

My fairway shaft, Diamana D+ 82X, and my hybrids shafts, GD Tour AD-Di, were all recommended at ECPC during the Grandaddy. They were picked, mainly for their weight and spin characteristics.

My wedges shafts, TT DG S400, are played based on recommendation by Ping. I wanted to keep a similar feel as my irons and they mentioned just playing what was IN my irons and that on Tour, these are very commonly used shafts in wedges.

Putter shaft is a putter shaft. Came with the Giant... I wasn't "fit", nor received a recommendation.

Amazing contest here for THPers. UST Mamiya has some quality shafts that I have been very interested in getting some playing time with.

Such and amazing opportunity here, big thanks to THP and UST Mamiya!

Good Luck to the entrants!

Out of curiosity, would Friday be starting early AM? Need hotel for Thurs-Fri at minimum?

Out of curiosity, would Friday be starting early AM? Need hotel for Thurs-Fri at minimum?

Based on my timeline, I think around 10am.
Based on location there are some really affordable options that are quite nice.
I stayed at a Hyatt Place last time, and it was $99 and just a few miles away and right near where we had dinner.

I'm ready, just tell me where to go and who to meet!

This looks pretty amazing and I'm happy to throw my hat in the ring:

Driver - Currently gaming the Bridgestone J815 with stock regular flex Mitsubishi Fubuki ZT driver shaft. I was fit for this by a Bridgestone rep, but we didn't try out any non-stock shafts.

5 wood - Callaway RFX 5w, Stock regular Aldila Trinity shaft. I was not fit for this.

4 hybrid - Adams New Idea hybird with stock Mitsubishi Bassara regular flex shaft. I was not fit for this.

Irons - Ping G20 with regular flex Ping CFS. I was fit for these, but it was not the best fitting. I like the irons, not sure if the shaft is the best for me.

Wedge - 54 degree Hopkins CJ1 wedge with Hopkins stock OTM shaft. I was not fit for this.

Putter - Seemore PTM FGP1 - Absolutely no idea what shaft is in this. I bought it used a few years ago and there aren't any markings on it.

As seen above, all the shafts I play are stock shafts. Most of the clubs were bought off the shelf or bought used. I can say the only club I was properly fit for was the driver through a demo day.

Thanks THP and UST Mamiya for the opportunity!

Someone asked me a question, so I figure I will answer it here.
2 will be randomly chosen for February out of those that sign up.
Then the following month a new one will come out and signup for that begins.

Just what I was waiting for!!

Driver- Oban Hashimoto S (put in play at #TheGrandaddy. Wasn't fitted, but I'm an #InternetGolfer so I had to play it!)

FW 3W & D9- Kuro Kage TiNi S - result of fitting at ECPC

Irons- UST Recoil ES 780 F4 - result of fitting at ECPC

Wedges - Stock True Temper Wedge Flex - result of fitting at ECPC

Putter - stock

Thanks UST & THP!

Here's my second entry through twitter:

What an amazing opportunity!

JB, do we have to post our twitter entry here as well?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Really effin amazing

Driver-I play the rogue silver 60s. It is what I was fitted to during a Callaway demo day. I like the feel of the shaft and I get a good launch and flight that works for me and my game.

Fairway- I play 16* with rogue 70s. My local fitter and I worked on this club and the rogue worked well from the start and decided to keep it in the club. I also have the heavenwood with kurokage 50s. Combo works and was no need to switch up.

Hybrid - play KK tini. Gives me a nice option over 4i to play off tee or off the deck and is flexible in shot types.

Irons - I play with project x pxi 6.0. Wanted the recoil 110 but went this route to save some money and still have a light shaft that still gave me a good launch and flight with not too much spin

wedges - I play stock DG s300 in the md3s. It's been a favorite shaft if mine in wedges

putter - play stick shaft because I have never been fitted for a putter shaft

JB, do we have to post our twitter entry here as well?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No. Since its another entry in the hopper, it doesnt matter if the names match up. Each entry goes in individually. However if you want to, thats cool too.

I'll have to get my entry in this afternoon/tonight.

Twitter entry

Awesomeness has arrived. While the dates for Feb don't jive for me I definitely will be following along.

QFT. The temptation to throw my hat in for this one is strong. But I'm afraid if I were fortunate enough to be selected it would exhaust just about all of LOML's goodwill.

Back