UST Mamiya & THP Shaft Spectacular - February 2016

We want to know what shafts you are playing and why

Well right now, in my Driver I have the Project X 6.0 stiff shaft. I got a driver with that shaft in cause I had went and demoed the club with that shaft and it felt so free swinging in my hand.

I have since been able to drive the ball further than I have ever have before. This event would be great to find a shaft perfect for my swing to maximize the possible accuracy and distance off the tee.

I dont know alot of the details of shaft and this would be a great way to learn more about what helps a swing improve.

Ok, here is the shaft run down on my equipment: I was not professionally fitted for any of these shafts

Driver: Taylormade M1 10.5, Fujikura Six Regular Flex Shaft - I was not fitted for this shaft other than Fujikura's online fitting app. I am a low ball hitter always trying to gain some height and carry.

5 Wood: Taylormade M1, Matrix 70X White Tie Regular Shaft- Don't hit 3 woods off the deck very well which is again why I am looking for more height and carry.

Hope this helps get me selected in Feb or one of the other months!

3 & 4 Hybrids: Tayloramde Aeroburner Matrix Speed Rul-z 70 Shafts, Stiff Flex - love the feel and elevation I get with these shafts

5I - LW Taylormade RSI 1 Irons, Project X 95 5.0 shafts: Always looking for height and carry, feel on these irons is very good. I think I lucked out and really found a shaft that fits my swing without the pro fitting.

Putter: Odyssey Pro Type Series 7, 350g, never thought about the shaft and there is nothing on it to tell what it is.

My Driver, 3 wood and hydrid all have fuji pro shafts in them, main reason is they seemed to be the best offering for me. It would be nice to find out what would really be the best shafts in those clubs.
Irons and wedges all have recoil 110 F4. I went with recoil as they helped with left arm pain I was getting with steel shafts. I would love to be able to compare the regular recoils against the proto recoils.
Putter is a milled number 9. It has a facotry shaft in it. I am just starting my research into custom putter shafts and would love to see firsthand what a custom putter shaft could do for me.
Thank you UST and THP for this wonderful opportunity.
Good luck to all

What a sweet contest!!

Driver: Kuro Kage Silver 60 Regular Flex. Also have an Aldila Rogue Black 95 60 Regular Flex that I am waiting on Spring so I can try it out on the range
Fairway: Stock XR Project X LZ Regular Flex. Stock Bassara E Series Regular Flex in V Series Heavenwood.
Hybrids: Aldila Tour Blue Regular Flex in XR 4 and 5 hybrids
Irons: Stock True Temper Speed Step 85 in Regular Flex
Wedge: Stock KBS in PM Grind
Putter: Stock shafts in all 3 putters

This has me really excited! I'd really love to get in on this one.

Driver - UST VTS Silver 65g Stiff
3 Wood - Stock
Hybrid - UST VTS Silver Hybrid Stiff
Irons - KBS Tour
Wedges - DG Spinner
Putters - stock on all

The only shafts I have that aren't stock are the two UST shafts. I selected the UST brand because of their partnership last year with THP, and I chose the shafts using their online fitting guide and comparing it with other online reviews. Overall I am incredibly impressed with the 2 UST shafts I have, especially the hybrid shaft - that thing is my fairway finder.

Absolutely everything I have is stock and off the rack when it comes to the shaft. The only "change" I had is that my Irons are +2 deg (green dot) The reason why? My fittings were pretty generic and not very involved. Combine that with never really getting a chance to truly analyze every aspect of my swing to be fine tuned to the equipment... I just game what I have.

Driver: Ping G30 10°
Fairway: Callaway XR 3w 15°
Hybrid: Ping G30 4h 22° G30 5h 26°
Irons: Ping i25 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 588 Blade RTX 50° 54° 60°
Putter: Scotty Newport 2.0

Only 2 people each month....the attention those 2 will receive from industry experts is absolutely UNHEARD of. After those 2 and THP are blown away in February, the demand for this will undoubtedly rise (just as we've seen with other events over the years).

So what does that mean? Numbers wise this first go at it may be your BEST chance of the 6 to make it in. I wouldn't waste it....

This is awesome! Really hoping I get in. My setup:

Driver: Custom Project X Handcrafted one off from #TheHandCraftedExperience. Rolled this shaft with my own hands, and it was fine tuned for my swing at PX HQ. Would take quite a bit to unseat this. Flex is between regular and stiff, weight is around 67g.

Fairways: Stock Fubuki Z 65 stiff, about 69g. Picked up one of these at the suggestion of my fitter, and it turned out awesome. I get driver like spin and launch numbers out of the 3w.

Hybrid: Stock Project X Blue 6.0 flex. Multiple fitters have looked at this setup and they've all agreed it works very well for me. It's a relatively high launch with healthy spin, which is great for sticking greens - and I have some memorable shots with it.

Irons: Nippon NS Pro 1050GH, stiff. Stumbled upon a great setup here picking these up off the Bay. They launch mid to high but without any ballooning. I have been contemplating a change to Recoil 95 shafts though, based on a fitting where I picked up about 3 yards with the 95 Proto, and also based on the far superior feel and vibration dampening of graphite vs. steel. Have discussed a little with Danny, actually.

GW: Dynalite Gold XP. A very similar shaft to the Nippons in launch but a touch heavier. Gives me a great flight in full swings with the GW.

54/58 wedges: Stock Dynamic Gold wedge flex. I don't hit a lot of full shots with these, but they provide consistency when I do. The feel is nowhere near as good as my other steel shafts, or especially as the Recoils.

Putter: Steel stock, whatever that is. I've never actually thought about putter shafts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Only 2 people each month....the attention those 2 will receive from industry experts is absolutely UNHEARD of. After those 2 and THP are blown away in February, the demand for this will undoubtedly rise (just as we've seen with other events over the years).

So what does that mean? Numbers wise this first go at it may be your BEST chance of the 6 to make it in. I wouldn't waste it....

It was crazy how the boys were treated last year and there was 9 iirc now take that down to 2 at a time and it will be unimaginable the treatment they will get. #fingerscrossed

Oh baby.....giggy up!!

"We want to know what shafts you are playing and why? Give us the info on driver, fairway wood, hybrid, irons, wedges and/or even putter."

Driver - Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with a Project X custom S shaft. It's been the best shaft/head combo I've come across to date. I am coming off the Kuro Kage Black 60.

3 Wood - Nike Vapor Flex with a stock Diamana S 60. I tend to play the stock shafts in 3 woods and don't try and overthink this club.

Utility - Callaway Apex with a stock KBS Tour V steel shaft. I play the KBS tour in my irons so seemed to be the logical choice.

Irons - Srixon Z745's with KBS Tour steel shafts. Have been playing with these shafts in the last few irons sets I've owned and have never considered changing them out for something else as of yet.

Wedges - Cleveland RTX 2.0 with KBS Tour. I play the KBS tour in my irons so seemed to be the logical choice.

Putter - Cleveland 2135 6.5 with stock shaft.

Thanks THP and UST for the opportunity!

Driver - G 30 with Diamana 'ilima 70 been playing this shaft for several years, looking for something that was mid launch low spin and so far has worked on every drive I have used. I like comfort and for the past 2 golf season it has served its purpose but always been looking to try a UST Shaft and almost purchased a 6s a few months back.

3 wood - Aeroburner with Fujikura Pro 73 shaft, a buddy was hitting one and I tried and liked the feel of it, feels heavier at times.

19* and 22* Hybrid - Kuro Kage 80 black shaft, got fitted and I like the feel, it works for my game.

5-PW Irons - C-Taper Lites, played Tour 90s but wanted something a bit heavier with mid launch and spin, so far its worked been thinking about recoils.

Wedge - Sm5 Vokeys stock shaft.

Putter - Odyssey Works #9 stock shaft, like this putter a lot.

What a great opportunity, many thanks to THP and UST.

Oh boy! I have been waiting for this one! I have really never been professionally fitted for any clubs/shafts. This would be great if I could get in! The only club I have been professionally fitted to is my putter. This was done at the SeeMore event. Everything else, I fitted myself along with the help of some other THPer's who are more knowledgeable on the subject. Here the info on my current bag:

Driver: Cobra AmpCell Pro with a stiff Diamana 72 ahina. I needed a driver with low spin along with the shaft. It improved my drives quite a bit. I love the way this club feels.

Hybrids: 18* Adams Pro Mini with a stiff Diamana 82hy S+ shaft, 20* Adams Proto 9031 with a stiff Diamana 82hy Whiteboard. With the success I had with the driver shaft, I had to go with the same brand shafts in my hybrids. Just love the way this series of Diamana shafts feel and how they work for me.

Irons: Mizuno 800 Pro's with KBS Tours in stiff. Had a better ball flight with this shaft than any others I tried.

Wedges: Scor's with KBS Hi-Rev Shafts. Love the way they feel, plus the added spin is a plus.

This is what I have come up with for my bag. Like I said before, I have never been professionally fitted, so I feel like I am still leaving something on the table, but so far I have been pretty pleased with my setup.

Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! :blob:

driver
- Diamana 'Ahina S 72g - play it because when I hit with it on the monitor at golf galaxy... it performed better than my old driver/shaft combo lol.
fairway wood - I play two of the 3 snake eyes woods that were thrown in with my old set of 690.MBs - I play the shafts that were in them, faded logo (though admittedly I never looked that close)
hybrid - I took it out of the bag, but I do have a 910 H with a Diamana 'Ahina S 91g in it. I bought this because it matched my driver lol
irons - KBS C Taper X. I was fit into these in DFW at the Jim Mclean center and this shaft performed very well for me despite the fact that I usually hit a low ball and this shaft is designed to lower it further... Idk the answer, but I do know it hit them well during the fitting.
wedges - play the stock shafts in the Clevelands 54* and 60*. Never questioned the stock wedge shaft. planning on dropping a wood and changing to a 52*, 56*, and 60* makeup this season.
putter - stock shaft. While I've never gamed a fitted putter shaft I do know that UST makes them and I'm intrigued by that.

Having helped cover last years full event with UST and seeing the time/effort/excitement that UST put into that with that many people there makes me that much more excited about this, 2 people with all the focus on them? Insane and unheard of!

Never had any luck posting tweets on here, so i took a screen shot instead.
871538a3762ff4b9caba24fdcccc4230.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Dont forget the link.

I'd love to go back to UST for this all-star treatment!

Driver - Callway XR with UST Elements Chrome 6F4T. I'm playing this because I was lucky enough to get the Helium Prototype shaft and loved the way I was treated by UST when I visited them last. The Proto shaft was capable of producing big drives for me (I hit one 336 at a THP event, and no, I'm never letting that go and may never hit that distance mark again). However, it was too light for my herky jerky swing and produced a lot of bad drives too. I wanted to stay in a UST shaft but needed something different and that led me to my current shaft. Though I have plenty of room to improve and finding a shaft more fine tuned to me and my swing would be awesome. I haven't hit most of UST's driver shaft line and would love to see how other lines perform for me.

3 Wood - Callaway XR with UST Elements Chrome 7F4. This was a gift from UST. It's a great shaft. I hit this club typically as long as my driver off the tee and usually straighter. I still think there is room for improvement. I know at times I hit this too high and lose some distance and am interested in trying something in the 80 gram range.

Irons - 714 AP2 with Tour Issue X100. I really tried giving UST Recoils a go, but the 125 F4's I had really affected me and my tempo and led to a lot of really high hooks that I'm not seeing with the X100's. The Recoils felt amazing and produced some crazy long club distances at times (I've had a 200 yard carry with a 7 iron on FlightScope, average 185). But they just weren't stable enough for me. I'd like to try the Recoil Prototype 125 F5 shafts though. I've definitely lost a little distance going from the Recoils to the X100's and am curious if the Proto's could give me the stability I desire plus a little added distance.

Wedges - SM5 with Tour Issue X100. Same reason as irons. I had the Recoil 125 F4's in my previous J15 wedges and they were great for partial shots and around the green, but I take full swings with my wedges and needed something heavier and/or stiffer.

Putter - I'm playing the stock shaft that came in my FGP. I was able to briefly try out UST's Frequency Filtered putter shaft, but would love to try one out for an extended period in my own putter with my preferred grip to really be able to evaluate it.

Thanks to UST and THP for the opportunity!!!

Shades.gif

Darn it, I wish the date was open, my wife and I will be down in KC, but good luck to those who enter, can't wait to follow along and try for the next one!

Second entry:

I wanted to type more, but I don't know much about twitter and it wouldn't let my type all the characters I had originally.

So excited for all those able to put their name in for this. No doubt it's going to blow some minds and be a ton of fun.

Back