Safeway Classic, Aug 20-22

Ricearoni

Reaction score
Handicap
This event is next up on the LPGA tour. It's got a great field (I know, Natalie is absent), and is played at an amazing course. You can catch it on GC, I believe. Spouse and I are headded up there as spectators. I'm also bringing a laptop and hope to post a report or two. If there's anyone you'd like me to follow or extend greetings to, let me know. If you're going - give a shout, and we'll try to say hello.

Good to know we can follow on GC. I love watching the LPGA when it's on!

very cool ricearoni! enjoy and look forward to your updates!

The weather outlook this weekend looks a lot better than it was last year when it was raining off and on. I wish I could go again this year, but I'll be out of town. Have a great time at the tourney Ricey - yes, Pumpkin Ridge is a great venue.

BTW, Late afternoon rounds will be hampered a bit by sound of jets from the Hillsboro Air Show going on at the same time.

BTW, Late afternoon rounds will be hampered a bit by sound of jets from the Hillsboro Air Show going on at the same time.

This was even worse when the event was at Columbia Edgewater - In a strange way, I think the players are okay with the sounds - it's almost reassuring - they know they're in Oregon. :wink:

We've just arrived - don't ask - delay out of SFO.

The weather here is gorgeous, the traffic was congested, and our motel is packed with caddies - ha! One out of 3 ain't bad. Now a swim, then dinner and a concert tonight - then it's over to PR early tomorrow. Will post as I can.

The weather here is gorgeous, the traffic was congested, and our motel is packed with caddies - ha! One out of 3 ain't bad. Now a swim, then dinner and a concert tonight - then it's over to PR early tomorrow. Will post as I can.

I hate SFO after my time there on the way to Bandon Dunes last week. Terrible there.

Looking forward to your updates Ricey.

I hate SFO after my time there on the way to Bandon Dunes last week. Terrible there.

Looking forward to your updates Ricey.

I agree, SFO is the absolute worst. If you can stay away from the bay area when traveling through California you will be better off!!!!

You actually got in as the clouds finally cleared. It's been overcast and a bit misty in the morning for the past two days. Hopefully it'll be nice for the next three days - for the sake of the SC and the Air Show.

Bonk - Great place here. Very nice people. Our motel doesn't normally carry GC, but will try to add it for us just for this event. How cool is that?! :clapp:

Bonk - Great place here. Very nice people. Our motel doesn't normally carry GC, but will try to add it for us just for this event. How cool is that?! :clapp:

That's very cool! Glad you're enjoying the Oregon hospitality!

Friday Report

Just back in the hotel now. As planned, we arrived at the course early, grabbed breakfast, then off I went on 10 with Dorothy Delasin, Soo-Yun and Sarah. There was only one other spectator with us - a Wednesday pro-am partner of Soo-Yun's who enjoyed his pro-am experience so much that he decided to follow her today. That was nice to hear.

Dorothy had her Portland cousin on her bag - a golf coach himself, and to me a big asset for her. (Keeping her focused, e.g.) Her play was exciting to watch, beginning with a birdie, making the turn with a birdie, and playing steady golf throughout. Checking scorecards, you can see that the Soo-Yun had 1 lone birdie and lots of others, while Sarah could not keep an even round goling. Birdies were out there - the day warmed up, the winds were not too much of a bother - more aggressive play was in order. Dorothy further distinguished herself by besting her playing partners on 18 (and a few others) as she drove her ball 285yds, with the others 10 to 15 yrds back. Also, she chipped in on the 7th hole, which was timed just right, since she played the hole dangerously close to ob on the left side of the fairway, and needed some kind of miracle.

Spouse walked with K Hull, Anna N. and A. Munoz. He reports that Katherine's round was steady, but unremarkable, Anna had a string of nicely played holes, and Azahara had too many bogeys to go with scant birdies. Tomorrow, he's planning to walk with me. :)

Great stuff Ricey.

I want to give a shout out to Brittany Lincicome for continuing the THP Cover Aura. Furyk's cover gets announced and he wins, Couples cover gets announced and he wins, and now Brittany's cover gets announced and she is -4 today.

Brittany has a tidy looking scorecard for round 1. Wouldn't this be a good time for another win?! :banana:

Great report Ricey. Hubby chose his group well. :thumb:

So far in the last 10 minutes Judy Rankin has outdone herself.

She said "Ai is playing well, but she hasn't won since all the way back in June". Its not even the end of August yet Judy. And the LPGA does not play every week anymore.

And how about this gem.

She said "Ai is winning and she is not a long hitter off the tee. She is averaging 235-240, while others out there are hitting it 365-370". REALLY? GG and I had to rewind it to make sure we heard it right. Apparently John Daly has decided to shave his legs and play the LPGA this year.

Well, there does seem to be an obsession with distance, even if Ms. Rankin got her numbers confused. However, distance doesn't necessarily equate to wins, which at the pro level that is what it is all about. :)

Juli Inkster was disqualified from the LPGA Safeway Classic for using a weighted training aid on her club while waiting on the No. 10 hole

Juli Inkster was disqualified from the LPGA Safeway Classic for using a weighted training aid on her club while waiting on the No. 10 hole

She must feel kind of stupid. She was playing well, too. Was she swinging the club with the aid on it while she waited?

Kevin

She must feel kind of stupid. She was playing well, too. Was she swinging the club with the aid on it while she waited?

Kevin

Yup. I agree. I am just so surprised that with her experience that neither her, nor her caddy knew that was against the rules.

Wow. I am surprised it was even brought on the course. Is that common? If I was a caddy I would not want to carry anything that wasn't necessary.

This is getting out of control. 30 minute waits on tee boxes???? People calling in to the rules officials?

WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE SOCKS AI MIYAZATO IS WEARING THEY LOOK RIDICULOUS.

:banghead:

they look like the socks old people wear to help with blood pressure.

Thanks for the specifics. We knew she had dq'ed for the use of an unauthorized training aid, but we had no details.

Saturday report

Just in from dinner - the Pacific Northwest has one less salmon - very good. The sunsets are beautiful - defy description, and the views of the snow covered Mt. Hood are spectacular.

We spent the morning with Spouse taking a 10 minute lesson from an LPGA teaching pro, then we schmoozed with folks in the practice areas. Kay Cockerill (in disguise - in eyeglasses and a white visor) took some time chatting with Mina Hargitae, Brittany L. and Anna Nordqvist. At 12:43 we (and probably 200 others - think Lorena-like in size without the Mexican flags :)) started off down the course with group #31 - Dorothy Delasin, Adrienne White - a young Canadian, and Cristie Kerr. Kerr had the bulk of the supporters among us, and mostly played a good round, but a better round alluded her as her short game wasn't as sharp as we've seen. The Golf Channel was all over her as she began to improve her score. (Stephanie Sparks scooting around on the fairway, various TV cameras were activated when our group approached a green.) Dorothy mostly held her front 9 together, but then began making errant drives that meant many second shots were from the rough, with bogeys the result. Adrienne played a bit inconsistantly, but made some nice recoveries from trouble spots. She may have felt a little uneasy playing with 2 experienced ladies, as she would occassionally ask permission from them to putt out, or mark, e.g., - when others might carry on.

Tomorrow, we'll walk a bit less - I'm going to choose one of the leading groups to follow, and Spouse will likely be alongside. Hope to do one more post for Sunday.

The worst part of this is that it was done because of viewer email. Crazy. I still think someone with her experience should know the rule and so should her caddy, but viewer email. Really?

Back