Wedges - How Many Do You Test?

Always test any new wedges, but there is a certain look to the wedges I like so that pretty much dictates whether I'm going to try something new. When I get a wedge I really like I'll stick with that company and style until I find something significantly better. I don't usually even think about looking at or testing new wedges until the ones I'm playing are worn out.

I don't seem to ever try wedges before I buy. Not that high in price, so I'll go out on a limb and just buy and try.

I test wedges before buying. I test Callaway, Cleveleand, Vokey's and after last year Wilson Staff.

I always test them out. I just keep going back to the black rtx Cleveland

I don't think I have ever tested a wedge before buying. It has come down to being gifted wedges, wanting wedges that match the OEM of my irons, trying to figure out bounce...but never testing them.

I haven't tested wedges before, I just played what came with the set. Funny, wedges are one of the areas I'm struggling with so I should get out and test some different models.

The club I belong to never has any demo wedges so testing is out. I usually do a lot of research, ask a few pro's and then buy what seems to make sense. So far I have not made too many mistakes with wedges.

I stay with Cleveland, Ping and Titleist but now considering Callaway.

You mean not everyone have 10 spare wedges lying in the garage to tinker/switch like me??

I have 12 wedges at my house. 3 in the bag and 9 "extras." They're all matching sets of either TaylorMade or Callaway in 50-54-58 lofts

I honestly don't think I have ever tested wedges before buying. I typically make up my mind by THP reviews and who offers wedges in black or raw. Don't know when the last time was when they weren't either Cleveland or Mizuno.

I don't. I know what I like with wedges and stick to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit some on the sim, but not sure I could really tell much about them until I had them on the course or a real green.

To me, Wedges are one of the most personal clubs in my bag, and typically last the longest in my bag. I try out as many as I can, typically through other THPers and THP events. Wedges are a must try for me, and not something I ever base just off looks.

To me, Wedges are one of the most personal clubs in my bag, and typically last the longest in my bag. I try out as many as I can, typically through other THPers and THP events. Wedges are a must try for me, and not something I ever base just off looks.
Interesting perspective. I've gamed TM ATV's, Vokeys, Bridgestone J40s and now Cleveland RTX 2.0s. Aside from some relatively smaller differences (weight of shaft, full shots, etc) they've all performed well and I've enjoyed them all.

I have never tested a wedge.

I'm still using my MC2.0 wedges. I think because I don't full swing with them I don't wear them out much? Most of my wedge play is from inside 40 or 50 yards, half swings at most. And I don't use them a whole lot.

Of course I test wedges, shortly after buying them...

Seriously though, I've learned the hard way that I really should test wedges and/or get fit for wedges before I purchase them next time. I've found that bounce helps more than loft for me in bunkers, and that too much bounce hurts my shots on thinner lies - especially partial wedge shots like 30+ yards.

This is a interesting thread. Recently I've gone in to demo quite a few wedges as I want to start focusing in on 125 yards and in. Normally I go to demo irons and drivers but have been spending more time with different wedges To see what bounce options and set up works for me.

I generally test a few different brands when wedge shopping. Once I have narrowed my choice to one company, I work with demoing multiple lofts/ bounce/ grind options to tune in my gaps and ball flight. I think this is more important than most people give credit for...

I don't test first. I probably should.

I look at grinds first based on the turf I typically play. Then I just either buy used to test out, or try wedges from my playing partners before buying. I like a sharper leading edge so I've typically been a Vokey guy, but the MD3's are the first Callaway offering to kick those out of the bag

I've never tested them, but I do a fair bit of research before buying. Once I'm in the store I'll see how the feel at address and will take quite a few swings with them to get a feel for the swing weight before making the purchase.

Last edited:
No testing here. I buy based on reviews and walk out with new wedges.

How do you even test a wedge at the store?

My answer is no. I just pick them up. I have never played a Vokey or a Cleveland wedge. But I will say that the Bridgestone wedges I hit on the range in Pittsburgh felt fantastic.

Back