Bringing Drinks w/ You On Course?

No cart girl at home. Ill carry, at most, 2 beers with me to get started. Otherwise always buy from course; however, i keep a flask in the bag for emergency pulls when the round starts heading south. Obviously if they dont sell alcohol, we're packing.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I bring water and a few snacks/energy bars. If I want beer, soda or Anything else I buy it from the cart girl. At my local area courses your lucky to see the cart girl two times in 18 holes.

At my home club I often bring snacks, a sandwich, and a beer or two with me because my cart is parked in my garage and it's easy to keep it stocked and most of the rounds I'm playing there is no cart girl on duty. If I'm not at my home course I rarely bring more than a Cliff Bar and a water with me.

While it is illegal to bring your own alcohol onto the courses around here since they have a liquor license, I admit that I have occasionally done so in the past.
Is it right? No. Will I do it again in the future, probably.

So I had a debate with a buddy of mine yesterday about a local course we play. They have a drink cart that we see 4-5 times a round and always has soda, snacks and beer if someone wants it. They even accept credit cards on it, which is still rare at many public courses.

During the round, he pops open his bag and has 6-8 drinks (a mixture of beer and soda) and 2 bottles of water. I said "You know they sell that here" and his response was "its too expensive".

Now I agree their prices for food and drinks is higher than other places, but right now they have greens fees cheaper than most and its always in great condition.

So do you think what he did was okay? Im sure the course has a sign that says no food or outside drinks allowed on course, but its not well displayed, but it is policy.

Do you bring drinks/food with you on the course?

It's illegal here to bring alcohol of any kind into (or onto) a facility that has a liquor license, so if he was caught doing that in Colorado, at the very least he'd be kicked off the course with no refund.

I don't bring any drinks or snacks with me to the course, except for water on a couple of local courses which don't provide it outside of the clubhouse.

Last edited:
We don't want you to bring your own, but at the least, bring what we sell (we sell all the major stuff) and don't bring bottles, especially glass.

I might bring a water to start out with, but I buy any beer/soft drinks from the course.

I typically bring a bottle of water and refil at the water coolers in the course and I'll usually buy a Gatorade. But I've also taken a full cooler of beer and my course will give me a bag of ice to fill it with. There is no cart and the snack bar is rarely open, the counter guys will sell drinks out of the snack bar if you need one though.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I'll bring a water bottle and some powdered energy packets. Occasionally, if I stop for bfast/lunch somewhere, on the way to the course, I may get a tea/coke from the fast food joint. And, I will bring it onto the course. But, I would never bring unopened bottles or cans.

I've run some tournaments and have had course(s) monitor the trash cans for bottles/cans of beverages and then say something to me about "my people" bringing outside beverages in.

So, if you are going to do it, at least find out what the course sells. And bring that onto the course. Don't bring Bud Lite to a Coors Lite course.

I typically bring a bottle of water and maybe a breakfast bar or other small snack. If I drink anything else or eat more than a small snack, I buy from the course.

I bring a bottle to use for powdered drinks, but I will buy soda or beer at the course. I usually bring my own snacks as well because I am very picky about when I eat them and you cannot control when the beverage cart is going to come around.

I don't drink much when playing my home course, usually I'm either by myself or playing in the men's club. However, when I play with my dad on Friday afternoons and tee off at 5:30 for 9, he brings a few beers and we both split them.

The snack stand and 9th hole grill are both closed at that time and there isn't a cart girl. We end up grabbing dinner in the club house after as well.

That being said, when I drink at other courses, I buy the beer from the drink cart. Even when friends bring their own beer, we also grab a few rounds from the cart.

I don't drink alcohol nor do I drink drinks with sugar so I always carry water. I used to only carry a water bottle until a July at Myrtle Beach about 10 years ago when the heat index was so high they made them take the water coolers off of the course for fear of bacteria, I have always carried at least 3 waters since. I do also carry small snacks such as jerky, protein bars or nuts and fruit. If a cart girl comes by I will usually get a cup of ice and then tip her, they are usually just kids needing the money pretty bad.

I don't think what I do is wrong nor would I say anything to anyone who never bought nor bothered to tip the cart girl. I also usually buy something from the clubhouse when I am at the course.

Last edited:
I will bring a Pepsi. But that is all. Most courses around here don't carry Pepsi, only Coke. I usually will buy snacks from the shop or maybe a Gatorade. But I won't drink COKE!

If you bring your own cooler we will have you take it back to your car. When you say it's just water, we'll tell you bring it in so we can put your water into our coolers. Most of the time people just take their beer (ot was supposed to be water) back to their car, get a few beers from us in our cooler and fill up our cooler with their beer on the turn to the back nine.

I always bring a snack and a thermos style bottle of water.
I don't normally drink on the course but if I do I bring a few beers.
My course has no beverage cart though.
They sell stuff in the pro shop but it is a pain to go get and it slows down play for everyone.

I have brought liquor with me a time or two. I typically buy something from the cart or at the turn even if I do bring something.

I'll bring one or two cans of beer if I remember. Otherwise I hit the snack shack at the turn. It's becoming more and more rare seeing the beverage cart, not due to weather, but overall in general. No matter what, I always carry a little booze on me.

I buy 6 and bring 3 or 4. I think that's fair enough.

I buy 6 and bring 3 or 4. I think that's fair enough.

Geez, do you drive home??? I wouldn't be able to golf...

Generally no, if I want a beer I'll buy from the cart girl. It's over priced, but..... During the summer, I'll often throw a couple bottles of water in the bag and get a cup of ice from the cart girl (and tip her). I started doing that after a scare at Myrtle Beach one year, where a course was giving out bottled water because they had someone tainting the water stations on their course (this was NOT Caledonia/True Blue). Realizing how easy it would be for someone to do that, and how sick some people in this world are, I try never to get water from such stations, and really draw the line at paying $2-3 plus tip for, essentially, a bottle of tap water. You might also find in my bag energy shots, certain healthy bars (Adkins), and, in winter, a pint of Captain Morgan (sue me), none of which are available on course.

I think anyone sensible can strike a balance between patronizing the course so they make a little money without sending themselves to the poorhouse.

I think bringing in a bottle of single malt or some energy bars or food that isn't usually sold in the tee houses or clubhouse is fine.

But bringing beer and soda when the tee houses and the clubhouse has it I don't find good.

I've stopped drinking while playing because I tend to take in more than what I'm sweating out, but on some occasions it's good to have some drinks after the round, but for me, not on every round.

Geez, do you drive home??? I wouldn't be able to golf...
4 hour round of golf body burns off 1 to 1.5 per hour and you have to drink at least 4 light beers or more depending on weight to blow over .08

Buddy of mine got caught with beer that was brought on the course and the ranger made him pour it out. It's illegal here to bring alcohol onto a course with that being said I always bring some water bottles and a good stogie or two

Back