Cutter & Buck...Still Relevant?

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap
I was discussing apparel companies today with somebody and realized afterward, neither of us brought up Cutter & Buck. 10 to 12 years ago, pretty much all I wore was C&B. I think they were one of the early leaders in the performance tech type shirts (moisture wicking) but I think they have been passed by at least 1/2 dozen other companies in my mind.

What do you all think, are they still a major brand for golf attire, or have they gone the way of Members Only jackets :D

I'm like you Rob, they were once one of my go to's but not so much now. I do have a C&B shirt or 2 but they were swag at golf tournaments. I don't remember the last time I bought one.

I have a couple shirts, one from Chambers Bay, and one from the Ryder cup, but I don't seek them out by any means

I still have a few C&B and will look for them in pro shops and online. I really like a lot of their products.

I still have a few C&B and will look for them in pro shops and online. I really like a lot of their products.
When I was General Manager of a Hampton Inn in the early 2000's they were our official uniform supplier for the front desk. I also ordered several mock golf polo's with the hotel logo on for casual days for the staff and client presents.

I'm sure they probably still have some nice stuff, I'll stop by their booth next week and see if they have anything new and exciting.

It just seems you don't hear them mentioned as much as they used to be.

I have a couple shirts, one from Chambers Bay, and one from the Ryder cup, but I don't seek them out by any means
Same here Taylor, I picked up two or three US Open Shirts from them when they were at Oakmont and then again about 5 years ago at Congressional. But that was probably my last C&B purchase.

Never really think of C&B but seems like they are the company when I get tournament swag....never UA for some reason.

To me they kind of fell behind the times on cut and look.

They aren't even a consideration got me. I owned a couple of their polos that I wore to Auburn games, but I've never considered them for the course.

Definitely not a popular brand anymore. I have seen some of their stuff around some pro shops. I know they still sponsor Annika and a few others but not something I seek out like I did when I first started playing

I doesn't appear so. Seems like they haven't stayed up to date with styles or fabrics.

To me they kind of fell behind the times on cut and look.
I was curious to see what you thought JB as I know you keep up on all the apparel brands, but i tend to agree they haven't seemed to stretch away from the looks and styles of the last 10 to 15 years.

When I think of C&B, I think way too big, sleeves too long, way too baggy, and for older guys. I think they could do some good work reaching out to a more modern crowd if they wanted. I'd love to see a company produce semi-reasonable priced traditional styled clothes with modern cuts. Similar to what Linksoul, Bonobos, and others do but on a bigger market at slightly less prices.

Never really think of C&B but seems like they are the company when I get tournament swag....never UA for some reason.
UA is an absolute PITA to deal with. Tournaments look to hand out items within a certain price range. Cutter and Buck is very good to deal with and get bulk discounts with.

UA thinks their poop doesn't stink and getting discounts is extremely hard. Especially when they're $70 polos are still $40 or so with a corporate discount. Cutter and Buck? About $10-15 on most items.

To the topic at hand...

They're still massive in the corporate world but their quality, cut and finish is substandard. They're great for companies that want uniforms and hand them out like Halloween candy. They want cheap basically.

Some of their pullovers are pretty nice but too many other solid offerings in the same price range.

UA is an absolute PITA to deal with. Tournaments look to hand out items within a certain price range. Cutter and Buck is very good to deal with and get bulk discounts with.

UA thinks their poop doesn't stink and getting discounts is extremely hard. Especially when they're $70 polos are still $40 or so with a corporate discount. Cutter and Buck? About $10-15 on most items.

To the topic at hand...

They're still massive in the corporate world but their quality, cut and finish is substandard. They're great for companies that want uniforms and hand them out like Halloween candy. They want cheap basically.

Some of their pullovers are pretty nice but too many other solid offerings in the same price range.
Good stuff, straight from an expert...thanks.

We are probably 5 miles from UA HQ and we have just a token amount of their stuff in our shop, for the reasons you mention.

Had my first conversation with the Nike rep, and there is a guy who wants our business and has a great product at a fantastic price.

I don't think they're a major brand anymore, but I'd say there in that 2nd or 3rd tier and they certainly aren't alone there, lots of other brands, who have had success are still there just not as relevant anymore.

Good stuff, straight from an expert...thanks.

We are probably 5 miles from UA HQ and we have just a token amount of their stuff in our shop, for the reasons you mention.

Had my first conversation with the Nike rep, and there is a guy who wants our business and has a great product at a fantastic price.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I may have dealt with someone you're looking at already.

I can now get UA but only select items. Basically, if it's on their website, I can't get it. Couple exceptions to that but not many.

I deal in wholesale items. Most companies have a wholesale side and a green grass/retail side. A few give us both and they're usually great to deal with. I recently picked up Matte Grey and am excited to add them.

Callaway is supposedly giving us both wholesale and retail and that will be really cool. Perry Ellis makes quality stuff at a great price for my industry.

I feel like the only place I see C&B golf shirts now are at discount retail stores. I could be way off on that though.

They use to be one of our top 2 polo shirt providers when I worked in the industry, but I'm with you. I haven't heard much from them in a long time, and I don't think I own a single polo from them anymore.

No clue if they are still relevant, but I can say i have a few of their polos and a pair of their pants and really like them.

Cutter & Buck were never relevant in the UK. Anytime I saw any of their stuff, usually on the discount racks to be honest, their stuff was always big and boxy.

I feel like the only place I see C&B golf shirts now are at discount retail stores. I could be way off on that though.

Along those lines, the only time I see their name is when I get an email from an online retailer announcing a huge blowout sale on old apparel they can't sell, and it seems like C&B are usually in the mix. I can't recall the last time I saw their stuff anywhere, including golf stores & discounters like TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

I've bought a few Cutter & Buck items the last two years. I found the quality and fit to be above average. Not sure why they fell behind marketing wise but the apparel itself still really holds up. The pants I bought have become my favorite golf pants over pants from Adidas, Puma, and many other brands.

Last summer on Kiawah Island I bought a C&B shirt. It is by far the best feeling golf shirt I have ever owned. I tried to order another and it was different.

Back