Tight Fairway - Go To Club?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
You are on a course and it's the first hole of the day. Crazy tight fairways lined with hazards on both sides. The hole however is not short, what is the club you reach for in your bag?

Adams V3 hybrid. Club is money!

My 3H at the moment, and the Heavenwood once I get it.

It depends how I was swinging on the range. Could be 4h, 3W or Driver.

I'm grabbing driver every time. NO FEAR!

3W - Confident off the tee with it and I won't lose too much distance. Unless I snap hook it.

Are there trees immediately to the right of the tee box?

3 wood or mini driver

3-wood most likely. However, if the hole is short enough to where I will have no more than a 5-iron in my hand, I will try my driving iron.

The 3 hybrid for me on a real tight hole. But, given that it's longer, I might go with the 3W.

3w for me. Just not confident enough in my driver to hit a tight landing area. Unless its towards the end of the round one of the following is true.

1. Good driving day and I feel confident with the Driver, so I would go driver.
2. Really bad day and I stopped caring so I am just hitting driver to burn off some steam.

Probably driver but it really depends on how the fairway slopes in the landing area and what roll might get into.

heavenwood.

4h Big Bertha

5 wood

Driver.

I can miss with any club so my tee club decisions are based on hole length and hazards.

If it's a long hole then most likely 3w/4w. If a 3i will get me inside 210 then I may go with that

My 19.5* FYbrid. Off the tee, it's straight as heck and gives me about 190 or so.

BB Mini, no hesitation.

Hybrid for sure,most consistent club in the bag

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Depends how long "not short" is.

If I can still reach with a mid iron I'll probably hit 4 iron off the tee. It's the longest club in my bag I can absolutely guarantee a fairway under absolutely any circumstances. I carry this 210-215 (unless it's freezing cold out).

If it's a long enough hole that I'd need two 4 irons to get there, I'm probably pulling my 4 wood. I'm usually straight and consistent with this, but I've been just erratic enough under pressure that it's not the automatic go to. This carries about 245-255.

If it's a super long hole I'm just ripping my driver as hard as I can making sure I'm missing into the least penalizing hazard :D

As crazy as it sounds, right now I'd have to decide between driver and 18 hybrid. When I have confidence in my driver, I have to just ride it out. If I have any doubt, though, it'll be the 18 hybrid.

3W has been very kind to me lately.

Driver all day every day. And then either 4 hybrid or driver off the deck for my second shot.

Depending on tightness, either 5w or 18° UT.

Back