That's awesome mike. Break out some Legos. Do not drop any because the heel to Lego pain is dramatic

60% of kids 8 to 12 have cell phones.
.ridiculous

.ridiculous

Ridiculous. % of T4K kids age 8-12 with cell phones? 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridiculous. % of T4K kids age 8-12 with cell phones? 0

Same here they are 0 for 2 and have stopped asking finally (cause all their friends have 1)

My oldest olivia turns 10 today. As cliche as it sounds i cannot believe how quick the time has passed. Got a pretty fun day lined up for her today (as much fun as you can have in winter)

Congrats and enjoy it because when middle school hits...well...game over :)

.ridiculous

I teach in a middle school and the amount of kids walking around with new iPhones, iPads our tablets of some sort is insane. Id say probably around 70-80% of our 1100 kids have a device of some sort

My oldest olivia turns 10 today. As cliche as it sounds i cannot believe how quick the time has passed. Got a pretty fun day lined up for her today (as much fun as you can have in winter)

My youngest is 10 and provides 90% of the humor in the household. Enjoy them while they're young, my oldest heads off to college in 7 months and my middle child turned 16 ten days ago and has been driving all over the place doing stuff with her friends. She's off to the mall today and I'm sure she has plans for a movie or something tonight. We hardly see either of them anymore unless we make a dinner appointment with them!

I really didn't intend to post much about this, but am looking for advice for those who either supplement or use formula full time, and what experiences may help a set of new parents trying to decide what's best for their little one.

A very long story short, today, a four day hospital stay has us home after little man wasn't getting adequate nutrition (about 1/3 what he needed) and it was causing lack of weight gain and jaundice. We've supplemented formula alongside regular feeding, and will be talking with lactation consultants and our ped about what makes sense moving forward if we can't amp up the current yield. He also had a visit with a bili-blanket and looked like a giant glow worm for about 12 hours. It was pretty funny looking with all the lights out.

Happy to say nothing to worry about at this point and everything else about little man is great -- Just need to get him full at every feed!! What a freaking roller coaster.

Looking forward to any thoughts you guys have or experiences that you can relate to in regards to inadequate feeding levels.

.ridiculous

As much as I love gadgets, this is crazy to me. My 12 year old got her phone from her grandmother, and my wife is totally against her girls (9 and 7) having them until at least their teens. The dependency on the devices makes me wonder how anything got done when they weren't mainstream. Times have definitely changed.

Good luck Dan. I can't speak much to the feeding levels but I can talk about the formula, my wife breastfed for 6 months and we went directly to formula for the twins. We had no issues with the formula well except for it being expensive and going though it quite quickly with 2 of them haha

We just switched to whole milk when they turned a year so far so good. Good luck and things get so much easier when they start eating more real food.

I really didn't intend to post much about this, but am looking for advice for those who either supplement or use formula full time, and what experiences may help a set of new parents trying to decide what's best for their little one.

A very long story short, today, a four day hospital stay has us home after little man wasn't getting adequate nutrition (about 1/3 what he needed) and it was causing lack of weight gain and jaundice. We've supplemented formula alongside regular feeding, and will be talking with lactation consultants and our ped about what makes sense moving forward if we can't amp up the current yield. He also had a visit with a bili-blanket and looked like a giant glow worm for about 12 hours. It was pretty funny looking with all the lights out.

Happy to say nothing to worry about at this point and everything else about little man is great -- Just need to get him full at every feed!! What a freaking roller coaster.

Looking forward to any thoughts you guys have or experiences that you can relate to in regards to inadequate feeding levels.

Your post sounds exactly what we went through with our son. My wife nursed him for the first 2 months and he was always fussy and not content. At that point as much as we didn't want to we switched him over fully to Emfamil Gentle ease formula and it was night and day. He was a completely different baby, and we could now tell how much the little guy was eating. Makes me wonder if we should have done the same thing w/ our first born, who was nursed for 8 months before switching her over to formula. So my suggestion may be to try a day of full formula (if your wife can pump when needed) and go from there. Like I said as much as we didn't want to switch him to formula it was actually a way better decision because he was finally getting enough to eat which made him way easier to keep on schedule and WAY WAY more happy. If you have any other questions just PM me. Our little one just turned 7 months yesterday.

Good luck Dan. I can't speak much to the feeding levels but I can talk about the formula, my wife breastfed for 6 months and we went directly to formula for the twins. We had no issues with the formula well except for it being expensive and going though it quite quickly with 2 of them haha

We just switched to whole milk when they turned a year so far so good. Good luck and things get so much easier when they start eating more real food.

I appreciate your thoughts buddy. We really couldn't care less about price, and consider the visual reference of formula (knowing what he's eating) a really reassuring thing after what we've gone through.

My concerns circle around what we'd be missing out by not breastfeeding.

I appreciate your thoughts buddy. We really couldn't care less about price, and consider the visual reference of formula (knowing what he's eating) a really reassuring thing after what we've gone through.

I hear ya man. All about what is going to be best for the little man.

Our doctor was fine with her stopping at 6 months and he said people stop earlier in some cases. I would think as long as he is making progress growth wise sticking with the formula might be the best bet.

I hear ya man. All about what is going to be best for the little man.

Our doctor was fine with her stopping at 6 months and he said people stop earlier in some cases. I would think as long as he is making progress growth wise sticking with the formula might be the best bet.

I've heard that quite a bit, and it's soooo reassuring. The absolute worst part has been the unknown, and removing that sounds pretty damn good to me and the wife haha!

Also really nice to hear more people who have had similar issues at various ages.

I've heard that quite a bit, and it's soooo reassuring. The absolute worst part has been the unknown, and removing that sounds pretty damn good to me and the wife haha!

Also really nice to hear more people who have had similar issues at various ages.
Is she pumping?

Is she pumping?

right now we're doing that post feeding while I'm giving him the formula in hopes that it encourages additional yield. We'll see what the 'experts' say with regards to ways to improve the total.

I'll say this, we used both with our daughter. Bottle feeding (either pumped, or formula) allows you a chance to bond with the little one, not quite the same as Mom, but it's about as close as you can get.

There are arguments on both sides of the formula/breastmilk equation, but the ultimate answer is you are the parents, you get to decide what is best for your kid. If anyone has any objections or "thoughts" or "opinions" tell them to stuff it! Your kid, your rules. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for whatever decision you make.

Having said that:
Personally I think it's more important that the kid eats. Whatever method that takes. If he's not getting enough calories and formula can help that, I would say go for it, it's not going to hurt him at all. (in my limited only had one kid experience)

Mr dan
In the end there is no right answer its do what it takes to make sure baby is healthy when it comes to eating. We had 3 different scenarios with the 3 kids.

1. Breast fed for awhile then pumped and then eventually ended up on formula as it became taxing on laura.

2. Erica wanted no part of breast feeding from day 1 (almost). Laura pumped for awhile then pumped and had formula then ended up fully on formula for a few reasons.

Julia breast fed the longest but wasn't by any means a long time. We had to get her weight up quick so she ended up on formula alot.

In the end 3 slightly different paths all led to the same outcome....healthy baby.

With our first u read alot and almost get forced to go certain routes based on what the wonderful internet says. Gotta be breast fed baby bonding time with mommy, different nutrients blah blah.

In the end you just do whatever it takes to make sure that baby is healthy and mommy is ok. If that means partial formula or full time than it is what it is. Jr will turn out just fine.

Mr dan
In the end there is no right answer its do what it takes to make sure baby is healthy when it comes to eating.
SNIP.....
In the end you just do whatever it takes to make sure that baby is healthy and mommy is ok. If that means partial formula or full time than it is what it is. Jr will turn out just fine.

Mike is spot on, and I couldn't agree more. Make sure Mommy is ok too, not being able to breastfeed is sometimes upsetting, added to new baby/post pregnancy stress, make sure she's ok.

You nailed it at the end there Mikey, and mainly what our concerns are.. The nutrients and antibodies that are in the breast milk that can't be manufactured in formula.

At the end of the day, I'm focused on what works for Laura with the least amount of impact on Calvin, but it seems as though there's no sense in fighting what may not work in the end, considering how good formula is.

From a woman: I tried, with #1 - hard. I had a 38 hour labor that ended in an emergency c-section. I had all intentions of nursing. Although I was young and uneducated, I truly tried for a few days and ultimately the baby wanted to eat every hour, for an hour, I could not keep up.

Fast forward to baby #2 - 5 years later, wiser, older I GOT THIS. C-section #2. I walked into the hospital on the fence on my feeding choice. I ended up doing both for a 3ish weeks but ultimately chose formula only.

I may always kick myself for not trying harder, or not BF my dudes longer. But I did what what right for ME, my sanity and my kids. 6 & 2 now and they are happy, healthy and full of life. My boobs are mine and my sanity is somewhat there.

Just support her as much as you can, that's what she needs

Dan we are going through the same thing. Aubrey lost 15% of birth weight and wasn't gaining back. We talked to a lactation consultant and they have us supplementing every meal until she wants to back off. Now we offer it to her after every other meal and she seems content. They also had Jessie pump after every feeding to get her supply in but also have some for Aubrey to have. Believe me, it gets a little frustrating since as a dad, there's not much we can offer to the baby. We just make sure she's on each breast sucking for 10 minutes than offer the supplement. Most of the time it takes longer since she falls asleep but we make sure she is sucking for 10 minutes.

You nailed it at the end there Mikey, and mainly what our concerns are.. The nutrients and antibodies that are in the breast milk that can't be manufactured in formula.

At the end of the day, I'm focused on what works for Laura with the least amount of impact on Calvin, but it seems as though there's no sense in fighting what may not work in the end, considering how good formula is.

This may or may not be coincidental, so I'll just say this - both of my kids were bottle fed. My wife was not producing enough with our daughter and it was a very stressful experience for her and the baby, so we switched to formula very quickly. With my son, he was on the bottle immediately. Both kids have been very healthy, at nearly perfect points on both weight and height curves their whole lives, and have been very happy (for the most part). Both kids are A students, my daughter is in all honors courses in high school now.

All three of my nephews were breast fed until age 1. Two of the three are well below the average on the height curve, and all three are also continuously sick with various colds, coughs, etc. nearly 6 months out of the year. Again, may be purely coincidental. But when people raise the issue of formula not being as good as breast milk, I just look at my two and my wife & I are 100% happy with the decision.

Plus, on a selfish side, I absolutely treasured my feeding times with the kids when they were babies. My wife got to sleep at night when I took the first few shifts, and it was always easy to have a jug of formula ready-made for me to make a quick bottle at midnight.

Alright. Just asked the wife about this because she was way more involved than I was.

With our first she breastfed for quite some time until she was old enough to be just on formula. All was good and she was producing enough milk so I could fed while she was working or away for another reason.

With #2 she gave up quickly because she was frustrated because she wasn't producing enough and with trying to start her business it was just too much.

So like others have said, there is no right or wrong answer but what works best for you guys. She told me a bunch of other stuff that I already forgot as well but basically it's comes down to you. If you want to keep trying and supplementing with formula then go for it. if you want to make the switch then that's fine too. But the biggest thing is to just give your little guy the best you can.

Eat good, drink lots of water, all that good stuff and everything will be fine. You guys are doing it right by seeking advice and caring about his health so just keep going with that.

As to the jaundice, don't worry about that at all. Our oldest was in a billi-blanket for a couple of weeks at one point. But she is happy, healthy and full of life. Just some good ole sunshine and love and he will be right as rain soon.

Back