TaylorMade M2 Irons Preview

Look Burner like, lets hope they play like them as well. Burners and Burner 2.0's were fantastic irons.

Thanks for posting the side by side. I see these irons all over the place still, and could see many of them upgrading/updating to these for the new tech.
Good point, I know at least 7 guys at the club who still bag them.

I love my speedbladez...if these are similar they could be a winner
Me too. I've been tempted by newer releases but I just really enjoy them still and have no reason to switch.

looks sharp, but I'm not a fan of the thick topline based on pictures.

My eyes are on these, they look just like my burners and with new tech they probably go much longer.

Personally really like the looks of these but I have always been partial to a darker finish. Might have to give these some swings when released.

Interesting looking. Very Burner like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 43 degree pitching wedge and 21 degree 5 iron, not to mention 2 whole degrees of difference between the 4 and 5 iron. Um, ok.

So, here's the old Burner 2.0 iron.

12099.jpg

If references to the M2 irons are being made to other irons that have been released recently, I think that speaks volumes about the product TaylorMade had years ago, because I see this design as a pretty clear inspiration.

This is what I came to post. I thought Burner 2.0 as soon as I saw these, only these look even more "busy" to me than the Burner 2.0's do.

Count me in the camp of wishing they would have stuck with the TP line. Specifically the 2014 TP irons. I think they should make no more than 4 men's irons at a time - a blade, a CB, a cross between a GI and a Players iron (like the SLDR), and a true GI iron. And they should all be less busy looking like the 2014 TP irons were. But that's just one person's opinion.

A 43 degree pitching wedge and 21 degree 5 iron, not to mention 2 whole degrees of difference between the 4 and 5 iron. Um, ok.

Your 4 and 5 iron would only be 3* apart. And the ones I use are 2.5* different. Not sure that gap is actually all that weird.

And FWIW, a 43* PW isn't all that A-typical in this type of iron set. Most SGI sets that are coming out now have PW around 43*. The Wilson Staff C200's and Callaway OS irons have a 44*. The more tech they put in to make these irons more forgiving is making them extremely easy to launch. If you want more forgiveness and higher launch, something else has to give.

The M2 tour version has a 45* PW. Which is the same as most irons coming out these days other than maybe blades/MB irons.

They look a lot like the Burner 2.0

Edit: Looks like Canadan beat me to it at the top of the page.

This is what I came to post. I thought Burner 2.0 as soon as I saw these, only these look even more "busy" to me than the Burner 2.0's do.

Count me in the camp of wishing they would have stuck with the TP line. Specifically the 2014 TP irons. I think they should make no more than 4 men's irons at a time - a blade, a CB, a cross between a GI and a Players iron (like the SLDR), and a true GI iron. And they should all be less busy looking like the 2014 TP irons were. But that's just one person's opinion.

I think they got wrapped up in selling units (and who can blame them). I can't imagine the TP line did all that well based on what I've read and understand, and that probably didn't work with the company. With that in mind, I think it's ridiculous they don't have an iron that fits that traditional mold. Close, I guess, but not really.

I am still incredibly happy to see this release. Commit to bailing on what didn't work, return to what did, and find a way to improve from there.

With that in mind, I think it's ridiculous they don't have an iron that fits that traditional mold. Close, I guess, but not really.

This is weird to me as well.

I am fan! I like the look and the lines. With strong lofts, short hitter will be able to realize their distance again. The game is supposed to be fun and these look like a bag full of fun. I can't wait to give them a few swings.

Good for TM with this release.

I think they got wrapped up in selling units (and who can blame them). I can't imagine the TP line did all that well based on what I've read and understand, and that probably didn't work with the company. With that in mind, I think it's ridiculous they don't have an iron that fits that traditional mold. Close, I guess, but not really.

I am still incredibly happy to see this release. Commit to bailing on what didn't work, return to what did, and find a way to improve from there.

I guess that's the hard part of being on the outside looking in. I have no clue how the TP line performed for them sales-wise. And if they realized they didn't have a market for that type of release, I can't blame them for going a different route.

Have really liked the last few TM irons. Played the speedblades last year and the RSI's this year. A little confused as to who these irons are for especially since 2 versions of PSI's just came out. Im sure more info will start to come out, but its a bit odd in my opinion. My guess is they have to replace RSI 1 since the PSI essentially replaced RSI2? But who is the "tour version" for then? Already replacing PSI?

i live chatted one of the guys from taylormade.com about the M2 irons, he said the M2 standard will replace aeroburner and the M2 tour will replace RSI-1. i think a few others on here mentioned they thought this may be the case, but i am just confirming what the TM rep told me.

Your 4 and 5 iron would only be 3* apart. And the ones I use are 2.5* different. Not sure that gap is actually all that weird.

And FWIW, a 43* PW isn't all that A-typical in this type of iron set. Most SGI sets that are coming out now have PW around 43*. The Wilson Staff C200's and Callaway OS irons have a 44*. The more tech they put in to make these irons more forgiving is making them extremely easy to launch. If you want more forgiveness and higher launch, something else has to give.

The M2 tour version has a 45* PW. Which is the same as most irons coming out these days other than maybe blades/MB irons.
Great post, dude.

i live chatted one of the guys from taylormade.com about the M2 irons, he said the M2 standard will replace aeroburner and the M2 tour will replace RSI-1. i think a few others on here mentioned they thought this may be the case, but i am just confirming what the TM rep told me.

Wait..... So the low h/c irons are the M2 tour? Why not the M1? Or is there another iron set coming out with the M1 designation? Seems really odd to leave just the M1 driver and no other M1 anything.

I was with TM up the this point with their naming, but that seems strange.

Regardless I hope they sell, a strong TM is a good thing.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Hmmm kind of on the fence with these. Have a little RBZ design to them.

I understand why they do this with lofts but I don't personally agree with it. I'm hoping they don't keep going down this road

They did a video on youtube to explain why the lofts are strong. I personally think the days of standard lofts are numbered, with the advancements in technology the "standard" loft has to change

I understand why they do this with lofts but I don't personally agree with it. I'm hoping they don't keep going down this road

I agree 100%

They did a video on youtube to explain why the lofts are strong. I personally think the days of standard lofts are numbered, with the advancements in technology the "standard" loft has to change

At the same time, I don't see this much more than marketing. Taylormade was one of the first, if not the innovator in adjusting lofts while keeping the same iron number designation. There is no reason they cannot keep putting 3i on a 19* club, other than to appeal to machismo and sell more clubs.

I think so to, I'd like to see more companies just going to a straight forward system, similar to what you see with some hybrids. Just give me a loft number instead of an iron number. I don't care what is stamped on the bottom of the club: 3 iron, 19* or "whooboy club go far" I just need to know how far I hit it. Stamping the loft numbers would make it simpler I think.

The obsession with lofts being tied to a certain number make me laugh, a bit.

I couldnt care less what iron # is tied to what loft, as long as I know what club I hit which distance, my gaps are solid, and my bag is complete.

Back