THP Tech Talk - What is CG in a Driver? What is MOI? Does it Impact Forgiveness

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
such a simple, yet effective way to explain CG & MOI. great video

Great video!

Easy to digest information is always awesome, great video!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Anyone else feel way smarter after watching, great info!

Great interview. One of my favorite guys to listen to

Fantastic video. I've read about CG and MOI in the past but that was the perfect explanation for it to make sense.

Nice video. Makes things a little easier to understand. I like Cobra for sure.

Wow I really liked that video

Man that guy is so fun to talk to. I wish I could get the chance to share another round with him again.

He explains things so well and so everyone can understand. great video and I really need to hit the Ltd....

Yeah there is a ton of info in there. A ton of information people have been asking for too. We will see if they jump in and watch the video.

Great video. Kind of make you question what the thought process was with the "low and forward" designs of last year

Wow really cool interview, and a great easy way to explain CG and MOI's coloration between each other.

Great video, to the point and informative.

Wow really cool interview, and a great easy way to explain CG and MOI's coloration between each other.

And for some reason rarely discussed like that. Dr. Yagley did it incredibly well.

Knowing your s*** is one thing, but trying to convey it to others in understandable terms can be difficult at times. He does a great job of that. Reminded me of an article written last year on 2015 driver cg location. It was pretty much inline with this vid. I'd share the link but it's from another golf site and I'm not sure about the forums rules on that.

Love the explanation and I loved my first range session today with my new King LTD Pro with HZRDUS Black even more!!

What an incredibly awesome and informative video that coupled in some humor along the way. King LTD is legit and the way that Yagley talks about it, gosh that makes it easy to understand. Even coming from a guy that forgets more than we will ever know.

Great video. Kind of make you question what the thought process was with the "low and forward" designs of last year

They didn't get into how the CG position affects launch and spin, which is where the low forward (like their Fly-Z+ or F6+ in the forward positions) comes in.

Weight back (for high MOI), raises launch and spin. For high spin players, a high MOI rear weighted driver can spin too much.
Weight forward (lower MOI) lowers launch and spin.
Weight low raises launch and lowers spin.
Weight high lowers launch and raises spin.

Loft then interacts with this as well, raising launch and spin as loft goes up and vice-versa.

The design of a driver (specifically, it's CG location) produces a combination of spin, launch and MOI properties that hopefully produce a balance that works best for the player. The King LTD, specifically, has the lowest and farthest back CG of any driver on the market. On paper, it is a holy grail design. Some testers, however, have found it to spin higher than expected for that CG location. Those results suggest that moving the CG back raises spin at a rate higher than the simultaneously low CG drops it. This sort of makes sense based on the fact that it is easier to move the CG forward and back than it is to move it up and down.

MOI doesn't necessarily produce straighter shots, although the anti-twist properties suggest it should. It's more effective at preserving ball speed on mishits.

For my swing, I do not notice a side to side dispersion benefit from high vs. low MOI designs. I do notice a "longest to shortest" dispersion difference. The low forward design, set at a loft that balances the low launch/low spin characteristics of the CG location, can produce very long drives if the lower MOI doesn't bother you. The high MOI weight back design, set at a lower loft to offset the launch/spin of the CG, can do the same thing with theoretically better ball speed forgiveness.

I'm seeing very good results with the F6+ at the two extremes: with the weight set all the way back and played at 9.5*, and with the weight all the way forward with the loft at 11.5*. The first is theoretically more consistent (forgiving) in distance, and the second is theoretically set up to hit the longest drives with more front to back dispersion due to lower MOI.

Edit: I would add that CG forward increases ball speed on sweet spot hits but doesn't retain it as well on mishits compared to a weight back (high MOI) design. A perfect strike with a CG forward driver will, theoretically, go farther than a center strike on a CG back design. A mishit with that CG forward design will lose ball speed faster and fall behind the CG back design as the strike moves farther away from the sweet spot, assuming you've achieved similar launch optimization with both clubs.

Last edited:
Wanted to bump this up to the top for those that missed it yesterday.
People were asking when the rest of the Yagley interview would be available and here it is.

My goodness, Yagley knows his stuff. And not gonna lie, I'm not even close to understanding all of the tech and am not gonna pretend to try.

Love hearing how the companies (Cobra in this case) continue to push the envelope technically. Interesting to hear about the movement of weight impacts forgiveness....I tend to think about forgiveness via material of the face and not about CG/MOI and I'm way off in that thinking. Information overload here!

Great video! He makes it so easy to understand.

I really enjoyed this - great explanation of the mass properties and how they're related, and in a really engaging way. Yagley was really into throwing things this show, huh?

Great watch. Great information explained in simple laymen's terms. Just what I need. Thanks Dean, good interview!

Back