The Car Shopping Thread

I would not consider mileage as a factor for me in buying a car, but rather care and maintenance. I can say that there are tons of people who lease cars, drive them 20k miles in 2 years and never have them serviced not even change the oil because it's "Just a lease".

I'd rather buy a fully maintained higher mileage car, than a 2 year off lease never serviced car.

I see it myself day in and day out, people buy an expensive car (Mercedes), then cry about paying $250.00 for a 1st year / 10k service, yet they are driving in most cases a $50k plus car that only gets a service once per year or every 10k miles. On those cars, for two years or 20k worth of scheduled maintenance, the total a person would spend is about $800.00, which for a high end luxury vehicle is pretty decent if you ask me. thats about $400.00 a year. (and fyi, on a $250.00 service, the dealership is maybe after all is accounted for making $20-$30.00 profit, and yet also gets penalized if a customer feels that it took too long if it took more than an hour including a wash)

A Car dealership has a right to earn money and charge for what they sell, just like any business. Anytime a vehicle is traded in, the lowest possible offer is made to buy the car, its a case of buy low and sell high. Remember it takes two to tango. the person trading in the car accepts a price and is comfortable with the price they got, the dealer is comfortable with the price they paid for it. Then the dealer has to do a full inspection, certain service work has to be done, in some cases, some paint work, safety repairs, like replace worn tires or brakes, detail the car, market and advertise it. That all costs money.

They could pay $20k for that car, put 3 or 4 k into it before they can even sell it and then sell it for 25 or 26k, I think that the margin on most dealerships is that they earn very little profit on most cars after everything. And if they have a car that does not sell, it can lose value over time as well.

I have a great respect for what bullfrog does, its a tough gig, long hours, open most every holiday and probably 363 out of 365 days in the year.

Something else to consider is that just because car has low miles, it doesn't mean that it was taken care of properly, nor does it mean it wasn't driven hard.

There is truth to this. It comes down to previous owner, not milage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

There is truth to this. It comes down to previous owner, not milage.

It absolutely does. However when looking at two gas automobiles with similar maintenance records, nobody on the planet chooses the one with more miles. That is merely common sense.

It absolutely does. However when looking at two gas automobiles with similar maintenance records, nobody on the planet chooses the one with more miles. That is merely common sense.

For the average consumer, I agree. Though I'm not sure it's that simple.

For the average consumer, I agree. Though I'm not sure it's that simple.

I think it depends, are we considering by two like equivalent vehicles or are we talking two dissimilar vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No it's not what we offered on trade. We offered more than $20,000 cuz it's worth more. And it wasn't close to that number either. It was that number plus more than a 1/4th of that number. If you think there is $7000 mark up in used cars, I would ask what you had been drinking. I wish there were. I sold 180 cars total myself last year with 80 of them being used. I would have made a ton. And would be able to pay my way in to all of the THP events I wanted (as long as I made the event). LOL Where did "it's been driven hard" come from? It hasn't been driven hard. A 63 year old engineer was the owner.

Don't worry JB, I know this is just chatting back and forth. There are points to both sides.

My dad was a 60 year old Dr that drove the hell out of a 911.

People don't buy these cars to toodle around in.

My dad was a 60 year old Dr that drove the hell out of a 911.

People don't buy these cars to toodle around in.
I have a Ralliart (mitsu wrx equivalent) so I am the target market and I certainly would expect most of these cars to be driven pretty hard haha I think it's just a safe bet. Imo you'd be lucky to find one that wasnt revved hard at least a fewwwww times. I agree they aren't to toodle. I know a ton of responsible owners that don't abuse their cars but they certainly don't baby them either. They also know very well it's part of the game (modding) that stuff will break. Buying any car in this boy racer category , imo you'd be kinda oblivious to think it was kept at 2k to just get groceries lol

Oh and speaking of age, one of our good family friends is 55 has a fully built sti along with other sports cars that he pushes hard at the track. You absolutely couldn't tell by looking at him or his career so thats not a safe assumption haha.

I have a Ralliart (mitsu wrx equivalent) so I am the target market and I certainly would expect most of these cars to be driven pretty hard haha I think it's just a safe bet. Imo you'd be lucky to find one that wasnt revved hard at least a fewwwww times. I agree they aren't to toodle. I know a ton of responsible owners that don't abuse their cars but they certainly don't baby them either. They also know very well it's part of the game (modding) that stuff will break. Buying any car in this boy racer category , imo you'd be kinda oblivious to think it was kept at 2k to just get groceries lol

Oh and speaking of age, one of our good family friends is 55 has a fully built sti along with other sports cars that he pushes hard at the track. You absolutely couldn't tell by looking at him or his career so thats not a safe assumption haha.
Exactly. I'm sure the car was very well taken care of maintenance wise but to assume someone buys a go fast to just toodle around in is a bit naive, regardless of age or profession.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Exactly, you don't buy these cars to drive them like a Cadillac DeVille. These cars are bought specifically because of their performance, and these cars are built to perform. Most have stronger suspension, wider tires, stronger engines, etc. that are usually higher quality than your average car. It's also why their resale value is usually a lot higher than you find in your everyday car.

So I might be a little late to the party but that WRX is gorgeous. Sending you a PM frog.

The Car Shopping Thread

Unfortunately we are all individuals and drive differently. We have our own opinions and beliefs. What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander. Some people will buy a sports car and treat it like a Cadillac. To think it doesn't happen you'd have to be silly (not calling anyone this). See Barrett-Jackson Auctions for examples. However, this car was driven. And while it is rarely heard of, some people don't beat sports cars or boy toy racers what ever you want to call them. I know it sounds weird that he didn't beat it. But it's true. Did he drive 35 mph every where, definitely not. But he didn't burn the tires off either. It's ok that you guys think it was beat. It doesn't matter unless your trying to buy it.

Just on a side note. He has another car (2015 Z06) and motorcycle (Hayabusa) that are race rockets that he doesn't beat either. He likes showing his money but wanted a cool everyday driver. He traded it in on a Silverado Z71 LTZ to trailer the Z06.

Unfortunately we are all individuals and drive differently. We have our own opinions and beliefs. What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander. Some people will buy a sports car and treat it like a Cadillac. To think it doesn't happen you'd have to be silly (not calling anyone this). See Barrett-Jackson Auctions for examples. However, this car was driven. And while it is rarely heard of, some people don't beat sports cars or boy toy racers what ever you want to call them. I know it sounds weird that he didn't beat it. But it's true. Did he drive 35 mph every where, definitely not. But he didn't burn the tires off either. It's ok that you guys think it was beat. It doesn't matter unless your trying to buy it.

Just on a side note. He has another car (2015 Z06) and motorcycle (Hayabusa) that are race rockets that he doesn't beat either. He likes showing his money but wanted a cool everyday driver.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but comparing a wrx to anything at Barrett Jackson is funny, definitely not the same market. Can these cars be babied? Sure but I'm sorry I've been in the game way too long and know better. Think what you want brotha, take care.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but comparing a wrx to anything at Barrett Jackson is funny, definitely not the same market. Can these cars be babied? Sure but I'm sorry I've been in the game way too long and know better. Think what you want brotha, take care.

I was just giving an example. I know it's not in the same class. Wasn't trying to offend anyone. While rare, babying a car does happen. Sorry that I think the way I do. I didn't post the car to defend the previous owner. I posted it cuz it's a cool car for a 4 banger. Maybe I should have just posted it in another thread or not at all.

I was just giving an example. I know it's not in the same class. Wasn't trying to offend anyone. While rare, babying a car does happen. Sorry that I think the way I do. I didn't post the car to defend the previous owner. I posted it cuz it's a cool car for a 4 banger. Maybe I should have just posted it in another thread or not at all.
No offense taken man, just good discussion. Ive just been around imports a very long time and know the scene. These cars generally aren't purchased for groceries. Anyhoo we'll move on, nice car none the less.

Exactly, you don't buy these cars to drive them like a Cadillac DeVille. These cars are bought specifically because of their performance, and these cars are built to perform. Most have stronger suspension, wider tires, stronger engines, etc. that are usually higher quality than your average car. It's also why their resale value is usually a lot higher than you find in your everyday car.

That is actually not true in any sense. I see it everyday, Husband bought the wife an AMG Mercedes because of the stature, and all she does is drive it to the grocery store and to pick the kids up, and car never sees over 65mph, probably driven harder than my technicians than by the customer.

That is actually not true in any sense. I see it everyday, Husband bought the wife an AMG Mercedes because of the stature, and all she does is drive it to the grocery store and to pick the kids up, and car never sees over 65mph, probably driven harder than my technicians than by the customer.
Once again, not talking about a rally bred, relatively cheap tuner car.

So out of curiousity, are you saying that the majority of sports cars are bought for wives who don't care about the performance? Granted most of my interaction with others who own sports cars is at the track or at car shows.

No simply saying not everyone who buys a sports car, drives the hell out of it. But those are the exceptions and not the norm or majority.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Was planning to purchase the Mercedes AMG-Sport C450 in the near-ish future (once the weather fully breaks in Ohio), but now I'm hearing it is going moved into the AMG family and renamed the C43 AMG for MY17...so now I will probably have to wait until August/September for delivery :banghead:

Anyway, here's pics...if anyone has any drive time with it, thoughts are welcome.

kg1ODB3.jpg
z8rt46k.jpg
wmkAHoe.jpg
0jyPN0A.jpg
qfPvXjL.jpg
pRW4wek.jpg

The lease on our Leaf is up in a couple of months so I'm starting to look around at options. We've been really happy with the Leaf so plan "A" is to replace it with another electric vehicle of some kind.

We stopped to talk to a Chevy dealer today about the 2016 Volt, which has more range and is way less ugly than the previous model. We didn't get to drive it but we'll probably be back to try it out. Unfortunately the all-electric Bolt, which would work great for us, isn't going to hit showrooms until the fall probably.

Other candidates are going back to a 2016 Leaf (which has a 30% larger battery than the 2013 model we have) or possibly a plug-in hybrid like a Prius or Ford Fusion. We'll see how this goes.

Was planning to purchase the Mercedes AMG-Sport C450 in the near-ish future (once the weather fully breaks in Ohio), but now I'm hearing it is going moved into the AMG family and renamed the C43 AMG for MY17...so now I will probably have to wait until August/September for delivery :banghead:

Anyway, here's pics...if anyone has any drive time with it, thoughts are welcome.

kg1ODB3.jpg
z8rt46k.jpg
wmkAHoe.jpg
0jyPN0A.jpg
qfPvXjL.jpg
pRW4wek.jpg

Its definitely a beauty. probably my favorite color exterior/ interior combo. the red interior is sweet too. A word of advice. Pay a little extra and add on maintenance and wheel and tire protection. the cost is minimal extra, and you don't have to worry about maintenance costs for the length of the maintenance plan. and the tire protection can save you a bundle if you have any tire issues, i.e. nail, bubbles, etc, and in some cases also covers cosmetic repair on the wheels. Just make sure you read up on what you are buying to be sure of coverage.

The lease on our Leaf is up in a couple of months so I'm starting to look around at options. We've been really happy with the Leaf so plan "A" is to replace it with another electric vehicle of some kind.

We stopped to talk to a Chevy dealer today about the 2016 Volt, which has more range and is way less ugly than the previous model. We didn't get to drive it but we'll probably be back to try it out. Unfortunately the all-electric Bolt, which would work great for us, isn't going to hit showrooms until the fall probably.

Other candidates are going back to a 2016 Leaf (which has a 30% larger battery than the 2013 model we have) or possibly a plug-in hybrid like a Prius or Ford Fusion. We'll see how this goes.

That ford fusion plug in hybrid is a nice car. Got a buddy who has the titanium edition. it is a sweet ride.

kg1ODB3.jpg
z8rt46k.jpg
wmkAHoe.jpg
0jyPN0A.jpg
qfPvXjL.jpg
pRW4wek.jpg

Sweet - my daughter is driving a 2015 C63 - used it for about a month when my X5 and an aluminum sink met up on the highway. Great ride - I'm leaning towards an S with the AMG package this spring. We have 2 SUV's and Jeep - a nice big sports sedan would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back