Golf Technology vs. Playing Golf

cnosil

Reaction score
After reading the what gives you the most satisfaction thread it is apparrent that people prefer to strike the ball well vs scoring well. I continually read threads about people seeking optimal numbers on launch monitors. We see threads that show technology that helps select the perfect club and shaft for you. Posts are always tauting the technology used in clubs. Technology advancements are supposed to make us better golfers by putting the best equiment in our hands and help build swings that acheive optimal results. However, surveys continually show golfers are not getting any better.

Aside from the exercise, being outside, and hanging out with friends aspect; which can all be accomplished in other ways, the purpose of golf is to shoot lower scores. Golfers continually put the latest technology in their bags but don't score better and when on the course, you don't always need an optimal shot. Playing golf is about executing shots from less than optimal conditions. We have to deal with the elements, bad breaks, uneven lies, and less than perfect couse conditions. When you hit a bad shot how many times were you trying to execute a shot you really didn't have the ability to execute reliably. Even while using great course managment, the best players in the world hit poor shots and have to adapt to the situation.

Buying new equiment is fun, but the question is should people focus on technology and chasing numbers or spend time learning how to play golf?

Obviously you have to have some level of competency in your swing. If you got a crappy swing, dropping $3K on a set of clubs isn't going to make you play better. But, you also need to have clubs that work for you. If you don't hit the center of the club every time then you should definitely consider getting some game improvement irons to help mitigate your misses.

Do they have to be mutually exclusive?
Although I do believe people focus on a number or two rather than what is really happening and why.

The gear and the numbers are a means to an end. In the end it's always about the shot. It's not golf if we don't take the shot.

Also, gear and numbers won't save us if we can't swing respectably well.

I'm not going to tell someone where they should be spending their money/time/energy, especially with golf. Some people play with different motives and goals. Buying new equipment and playing with new shiny toys is part of the fun for a lot of people.

I went through a bunch of clubs over the past year just because I wanted to and still improved while changing things out. So I don't think they are tied to one another at all.

Buying new equiment is fun, but the question is should people focus on technology and chasing numbers or spend time learning how to play golf?
Why can't it be both? I take lessons, but I also want gear that will allow me to maximize my abilities.

I don't chase numbers, but I do chase a nice straight ball flight. I've found clubs which help me achieve that, along with the lessons I've taken.

Good thread topic.

I chased perfect numbers and a perfect swing for the longest time, without getting better. So, what I did, was learned to play MY game. Learning my swing and my game allows me to play the game well and shoot good scores. I know the result my swing is going to give me, I just need to aim further left most of the time.

Another example of myself I will use, is that for a while I was searching for that club that I would be highly accurate with in the 215-220 yard range to be able to hit greens when I am further out. Well, I didnt find that club because for me, I am not great with that shot. So, instead, I worked on my short game, so I could lay up and get up and down and save a score.

I see both sides of this. On one hand my personal opinion is that I am far better off taking lessons and grooving my swing so I can lower my scores. That is MY number one goal with golf. If new clubs come along that aid me in that quest, I will buy them.

If someone else absolutely LOVES tinkering around and trying all new clubs then they should do that. That is their goal and what makes them happy. Who am I to tell them what to do with their time, energy and money? Do I think a lot of golfers would be better off skipping the latest clubs and taking lessons instead? Heck yes! No question in my mind that the average golfer needs lessons and not new clubs. However, it is THEIR choice and theirs only. Some people are happy shooting what they shoot. Doesn't matter what the number is. Others will never be happy with their game no matter what.

It is all part of golf and what makes us all so unique.

I think it should be whatever makes the person happy. I dropped 5 strokes of my hdcp this year and played 5 drivers, 1 mini driver, 3 different FW, two iron sets one with a different shaft flex than what I was fit for.

I say both. Sometimes finding the right equipment really can make the game a little easier.

Do they have to be mutually exclusive?
Although I do believe people focus on a number or two rather than what is really happening and why.

I don't know if they have to be mutually exclusive. I find it interesting that people will say they are "feel" players but want to know their launch numbers which is a very logical analytical approach.

When I started this thread, it really wasn't about buying new clubs or really even club technology. I was referring more to launch monitors and videoing lessons to pick things apart. People will say they are feel or look based players but still be very logical and analytical in club selection. People are buying portable launch monitors but when on the range, should they try to hit optimal shots or learn to control height, curve, partial shots, etc. I want the clubs in my bag that i allow me to hit the shot I need in a situation. It is also more that lessons it is analyzing that situation.
Middle of the fairway wind in your face, do you swing harder, take more club? How about short sided in deep rough.

It is more than course management, clubs, and swing. Do you know what you are capable of in different situations and try to hit something you can do more often than not?

When I started this thread, it really wasn't about buying new clubs or really even club technology. I was referring more to launch monitors and videoing lessons to pick things apart. People will say they are feel or look based players but still be very logical and analytical in club selection. People are buying portable launch monitors but when on the range, should they try to hit optimal shots or learn to control height, curve, partial shots, etc. I want the clubs in my bag that i allow me to hit the shot I need in a situation. It is also more that lessons it is analyzing that situation.
Middle of the fairway wind in your face, do you swing harder, take more club? How about short sided in deep rough.

It is more than course management, clubs, and swing. Do you know what you are capable of in different situations and try to hit something you can do more often than not?
I am a feel player on the course but a launch monitor junkie on the range. After working on trackman with my coach for the past year. For me personally going to the range without trackman is almost a waste of time. Once you understand the numbers the monitor tells you everything you need to know.

For me the biggest part is trackman confirms or denies what you are feeling. With most of the top players in world using trackman. I don't think it is going anywhere.

A man's go to know his limitations. It's the Indian and not the Arrow.

I am a feel player on the course but a launch monitor junkie on the range. After working on trackman with my coach for the past year. For me personally going to the range without trackman is almost a waste of time. Once you understand the numbers the monitor tells you everything you need to know.

For me the biggest part is trackman confirms or denies what you are feeling. With most of the top players in world using trackman. I don't think it is going anywhere.

Would love to hear more detail. What are you looking for on the range? why is it a waste of time? And how does it prepare you for on the course conditions?

Would love to hear more detail. What are you looking for on the range? why is it a waste of time? And how does it prepare you for on the course conditions?

1) I am left handed when I describe things if your right handed it would be the opposite. 2) I am trying to hit tight draws (left to right for me) and get the ball to start (left) the same each time.

The ball can start coming out of one of three barrels - left, center (target), right. I want the ball to come out of the left barrel and draw to the target line without crossing the target line. So lets say I am at the range and the ball is ending up right of target. For me that means one of two conditions have happened 1) came over the top, 2) face closed at impact. Without tackman I have no way to tell whether it is condition 1 or 2. It may feel like a really good swing when in fact I am coming OTT. With trackman I can look at my club path and face angle numbers and immediately know what is wrong. Now that I know what is wrong. I can make the necessary corrections. Once the numbers are correct I can work on what that feels like. In a round if I start missing the ball right. Trackman has taught me that more than likely I am coming OTT. Because I know the feel I am looking for I can make the necessary correction to get back on track.

That would be one example of how I think trackman helps on the range and can be taken to the course. There are several other ways we use it from drivers to 50 yd wedge shots. Now because I don't have a trackman. My coach has given me drills using pool noodles and traffic cones to help achieve the feel needed, but that verification from trackman that my numbers are correct. Is like my security blanket to know I am working on the correct things. Hope that helps, I would be happy to go more in depth if you want to PM me.

Both. Especially things like driver launch numbers. If you are a good golfer then it won't be hard for you to not get your numbers optimal witjh just a little bit of time spent on trackman outdoors or at the very least a good sim. Not talking about zeroing out your path face and that rabbit hole. I am talking about swinging up to get a high enough launch matched with the correct spin. Look at Bubba his face and path numbers are no where near straight but his launch and spin let him hit it a mile. Fix that stuff on the range and hit golf shots on the course. If you swear off tech because you just want to be a "golfer" then you are leaving something on the course as far as scores go. Use everything you can to be the best you can.

Learn how to play golf. Spend your money on lessons. The OEM's will hate me, but all this "technology" means nothing if you don't know how to play the game.

If The Milk Man's posted handicap is accurate, then he is playing a very different game than the rest of us. His results and reasons for using a TrackMan on a range session will be a lot different than most as he is clearly working on a different part of his game. Higher handicapers should be focusing on good technique and contact. Players that already have repeatable swings are looking for ways to tune those swings to achieve different results.

1)Hope that helps, I would be happy to go more in depth if you want to PM me.

Exactly the kind of answer that I was looking for. What you are doing is applying technology to help you play better golf and verify results. You aren't targeting some ideal set of numbers that are consider optimal.

Thanks for that detail

Both. Especially things like driver launch numbers. If you are a good golfer then it won't be hard for you to not get your numbers optimal witjh just a little bit of time spent on trackman outdoors or at the very least a good sim. Not talking about zeroing out your path face and that rabbit hole. I am talking about swinging up to get a high enough launch matched with the correct spin. Look at Bubba his face and path numbers are no where near straight but his launch and spin let him hit it a mile. Fix that stuff on the range and hit golf shots on the course. If you swear off tech because you just want to be a "golfer" then you are leaving something on the course as far as scores go. Use everything you can to be the best you can.

We could have a whole discussion on why I think zeroing out is bad for your golf game.

Exactly the kind of answer that I was looking for. What you are doing is applying technology to help you play better golf and verify results. You aren't targeting some ideal set of numbers that are consider optimal.

Thanks for that detail

Before last year I was about as anti-launch monitor as the come. Working with a new swing coach who knows trackman inside and out really opened my eyes. While I don't believe there are absolutes as for as numbers go. There is a very specific range of numbers we are working to. For example the club path needs to be -3 to -6 and face angle half of club path so -1.5 to -3. If I can achive those numbers the ball will start left and have a tight draw.

Quick little story my coach is a young guy former tour player with some mini tour wins. Kevin Streelman is one of his best friends. Kevin has a trackman set up in his basement and very seldom hits balls on the range other than to warm up. If he needs to work on his swing. He does it on the trackman in his basement. At the upper levels in golf trackman has taking over. I believe something like 98 of the top 100 players in the world use trackman.

And that is only going to trickle down as cost comes down. Isn't flightscope xi below $4,000 now?

I try not to get caught up in the numbers. I'm more concerned about process and results.

Before last year I was about as anti-launch monitor as the come. Working with a new swing coach who knows trackman inside and out really opened my eyes. While I don't believe there are absolutes as for as numbers go. There is a very specific range of numbers we are working to. For example the club path needs to be -3 to -6 and face angle half of club path so -1.5 to -3. If I can achive those numbers the ball will start left and have a tight draw.

I am not anit-launch monitor; I just think people use them incorrectly and do chase absolutes. You have a purpose for those numbers and using it to build a reliable swing and verifying what you are feeling.

Maybe as someone else pointed out that level of golf should be considered when looking at launch numbers.

After reading the what gives you the most satisfaction thread it is apparrent that people prefer to strike the ball well vs scoring well. I continually read threads about people seeking optimal numbers on launch monitors. We see threads that show technology that helps select the perfect club and shaft for you. Posts are always tauting the technology used in clubs. Technology advancements are supposed to make us better golfers by putting the best equiment in our hands and help build swings that acheive optimal results. However, surveys continually show golfers are not getting any better.

Aside from the exercise, being outside, and hanging out with friends aspect; which can all be accomplished in other ways, the purpose of golf is to shoot lower scores. Golfers continually put the latest technology in their bags but don't score better and when on the course, you don't always need an optimal shot. Playing golf is about executing shots from less than optimal conditions. We have to deal with the elements, bad breaks, uneven lies, and less than perfect couse conditions. When you hit a bad shot how many times were you trying to execute a shot you really didn't have the ability to execute reliably. Even while using great course managment, the best players in the world hit poor shots and have to adapt to the situation.

I think there comes a time where technology can become useful but you have to develop good sound fundamentals first. Practice practice practice.

Back