Live Update Thread & Contest - UST February Shaft Spectacular

Those proto wedge shafts.....oh my.

Such an awesome thread. UST killed it......again.

Just got caught up....wow, just wow. THP + UST = awesomesauce!!!

4c32f48d9c971fe46a3d7b00709f6ab7.jpg

2c8f8c97f984ece96a6825e2bfe473d5.jpg

Soooooo pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are my questions:

Nate: What is the most surprising thing you learned about shafts today?

That graphite in irons is awesome.

Questions and hopefully not duplicating:

Nate - During your tour of UST, which shaft technology caught you off guard and really impressed ?

Pole vaults......yes they make pole vaults there and they are awesome!

Nate: Out of everything you have seen so far, what shaft do you think will best fit your game?

Was out of my hands.....total trust in Danny and what he thought!

Nate: What was one thing during the driver fitting that surprised you most?

How quick Danny knew what I needed after a few hits.

You can fit what I know about shafts in a thimble so that lowers my ability to ask questions, but I am gonna play along anyway.

Nate: What is the one thing your learned in your time time today with UST Mamiya that impresses you the most?

How good these guys at UST are.

Nate: What was your favorite part of the tour?

The painting process.

Nate - in your driver fitting what are you looking to gain, more distance or better dispersion compared to your current ?

Dispersion....for sure!

Nate: have you every been fit for a wedge shaft? What are your thoughts on it now that you are going through it?

Never.....Danny decided on some proto types they had after watching my fitting.

Excited to see how the driver treats you tomorrow, no course management on the agenda!

And then looking forward to you installing all these shafts (with help of course).

Nate: Are you looking forward to putting the Recoil shafts in your irons?

Yes!! Was hoping to get into my wedges but this is above and beyond!

Nate: For a lower handicap player, are you looking more for best trajectory, distance, accuracy or a combo of two?

Accuracy 4 sure!

Nate: What's the longest shaft you've gamed in your driver?
46 inches I think?

Nate: what are you expecting to gain from your current shafts to your new fitted shafts?

Accuracy! Tighter dispersion!

Nate: What has the experience been like thus far...has it exceeded your expectations?

What do you think??!! Mind blowing!

Questions:
Nate - Are you hoping to see any change in your ball flight with your new shafts?

Not really.....just more consistency.

Here are my questions.

Nate - What did you learn about shafts today that you absolutely did not have any idea was even important in choosing a shaft.

Graphite is awesome in all clubs!

Nate: What surprised you most in your iron fitting, assuming you went from steel to graphite?

That I went from steel to graphite! I have a gut feeling I won't be going back.

Nate: If you could design your own shaft, what would you create?

Stay tuned!!!

Nate. What misconception about shaft selection has opened your eyes about future shaft purchases.

That I should have been hitting XS in the right weight this whole time.

Most important question: Were those burnt ends I saw?!?!

Questions
Nate: Talk Torque, we have heard from multiple sourced that it is overrated in fitting, what did you learn about Torque that you didn't previously know?

Not much....like you've heard it's just not important in the grand scheme of things.

Nate:

With your big time swing, did you get fit into a higher or lower weighted iron shaft?

Higher!

Question for Nate:
In terms of your current driver/shaft pairing, how could it be improved? And what are you wanting to try.

What ever Danny wanted 4 me!!

Nate-

Can you literally choose any color you want for a custom shaft?

It was an open book!!!

Nate: What one piece of shaft fitting theory has been the biggest take away for your game?

Graphite is cool.

Same questions for both Nate and Shane:

When you found out you were getting fit for a complete set of shafts, which shafts did you expect/want to be fit into?
(After fitting) - How did the shaft you expected or wanted to be fit for hold up in the actual fitting? Where you surprised with the final outcomes and shafts you were fitted for?

What ever Danny wanted me to be in! More on what I received later!

Nate: What was your favorite part of this experience so far? The info bombs, the fitting or the shaft design process?

Fitting with Danny 4 sure!

Nate: what was your first swing impression of the shaft?

"Did I really just hit that?"

Nate - Any changes that you will make to your game after what you have learned today about shafts?

No changes......will see what happens with the driver combo tomorrow!

Nate - What is one thing you learned during the tour that you had zero clue about yesterday?

That they hand roll every shaft!!

NATE: What are your thoughts on wedge shafts being different from your iron shafts?

No clue yet! We shall see.

Questions for the guys:

Nate: What were your more impressed with--what you learned about putters shafts, or big dog shafts?
Big dogs! Dropping the hammer!!

Thanks to JB, Danny, Lindsay and the UST Mamiya crew for a mind blowing day that was beyond all expectations! It was great meeting Nate and getting to know him better. Looking forward to seeing Big Time in action tomorrow.

Fitting w/ Danny was just a little bit awesome!
Yes, yes it was. :clapp:

I knew you'd enjoy it, Danny is PHENOMENAL at what he does, and passionate as heck too.
Yes, he is awesome. Great during the fitting and a great host.

Being installed there for play tomorrow? Or too tough on time?
Just in drivers tomorrow. We will get the Recoils installed ourselves later.

Very cool!
true story...this is actually my wife's aunt! :D

This has been so fun to follow. Like Kings, they've been treated like freaking Kings!
So glad I didn't hesitate to sign up for this.

That AC membership seems like a pretty good bargain.
yep, mega understatement.

You guys are killing it right now.

Questions:

Nate: Of all of the shaft fits, which were you closest to in terms of getting fit into something close to you were [/QUOTE
No clue, Danny took lead. We hit 2 shafts and he knew what I needed after 3 hits.

This has been great to follow:

Nate: in your opinion after everything you have learned today, what is the most important aspect when selecting a driver shaft?

Trust your fitter and your gut.

Nate: So jealous of your drives.... 301 and 304! What do you think contributed the most for you? Spin, launch. feel and what was the length of the shaft compared to what you were playing before?

Spin and dispersion were big factors.

Nate - What new shaft was the most different from what you played previously in the same club?

Driver and irons. The XS for me is legit!

After talking with Nate about my experiences at the Handcrafted event it is awesome to him get this treatment and a custom one off of his own. Also he could hit a shower head 300 #bigtimestripeshow

Thanks buddy!!! Looks like your raw is coming back to ya!!

Nate: Did you have an "ah Ha" moment when UST was making their presentation? Something you had never known before.
Happened in the fitting. Graphite is good.

Nate's 300+ made me think of this one: When getting fit for a driver, should the fittee be trying to swing at a full 100%, stepping on each shot, or try to swing "normal"? I've heard to swing hard so one has the max stiffness to stand up to the all-out swing, and I've heard to try and swing at the normal MPH. Curious what UST advises.

thanks

I wasn't swinging 100%. Was probably 85% the whole time.

Nate: What difference do you think you would get from the weight difference of the shafts?

Don't really know.....but Danny is good and knew exactly what I needed.

NATE: Was a TWU logo available for the shaft design

Forgot to ask. #Hookem

Question for Nate: Now that you see what a golf shaft can do for a particular clubhead, when you get a new club, will you replace the stock shaft?

I will come to Danny first so he can tell me!!

Nate: Did you think after you heard you were getting fit, that maybe your current setup could get changed quite a bit? Or is it close to what you have now.

I knew I was in trouble......he changed everything! So much for what I thought about my game!

Nate: What did you learn today about shafts that you thought you already knew

Lighter isn't always better!! Lots of things go into a shaft fitting!

Shane - What number are you most looking forward to seeing out your fitting, on which club?
Just got fit for my GBB so I was really curious about how club speed and distance would compare with the XR16.

Shane-Has Nate stopped bugging you yet? but in all honesty, I'm sure going in you had an idea of what shaft you would be playing, after learning the technology behind the shafts and getting fitted, how has this changed? were you closed to what you thought you would get fit into? or 100% off?
i thought I might end up with Helium wood shafts and it's between that and a newer prototype that I'm not sure what I can say about it ( need to check with Danny ).

regarding recoils, I assumed I'd be 95 or 110 and ended up 110 thru 9i and 125 for wedges

Shane: Out of all of the mind blowing things that have happened today, what is the one thing you would share with others at THP about UST?
I really appreciate how much Danny wishes he could educate all golfers on shaft technology and the aspects that really matter.

Shane- what part of the Recoil shaft technology surprised you the most?
Efficiency and ovalization (one of my new favorite words).

Shane: have you tried recoils before? If not, what weight or model are you most looking forward to try?
No I hadn't but had been wanting to. Looked forward to trying any that Danny thought would make sense for me.

Thanks for answering all the questions Nate and Shane. What you and Shane got today was nothing short of AMAZING!!!. Look forward to catching up with tomorrows events.

Nate, I'm guessing the your fairway woods and driver will follow the increase in weight like your irons and wedges did? Maybe 70-80g shafts your woods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a long day of awesome, Nate and Shane pounding out the answers to our questions!

Thanks Fellas!

Seems like a great time and I learned a little about the shafts they have. Have fun today fellas and look forward to following along and learning more.

Nate, Shane : Based on all your input which was great, it must have been an amazing experience! Color me jealous and hoping I'm next! Thank you very much for your efforts to share your good fortune!

That is sweet.

Back