what golf instruction do you use and why?

This is me too. I prefer to spend on equipment over lessons, but I am slowly shifting positions on that after finally having some lessons result in lower scores.
Having a lesson make a key change and then seeing the fruit of that labor is a critical step to viewing lessons as "worth it". I know so many guys that have taken lessons and not actually shave a stroke off their handicaps as a result.

yea, and I have been able to improve on my own steadily as I play more, and for thoughts just like you mentioned at the end are part of what make me weary of spending money on lessons at the moment.

I believe I do have a free lesson at golf galaxy, but not sure how much good that would actually do. That will probably be my first venture into any in person lessons.

I usually call my dad. He taught me my swing a long time ago and he knows my tendencies. From 3 hours away a phone call usually corrects my issues.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

In person private lessons with a PGA Teaching Pro.

This is me too. I prefer to spend on equipment over lessons, but I am slowly shifting positions on that after finally having some lessons result in lower scores.
Having a lesson make a key change and then seeing the fruit of that labor is a critical step to viewing lessons as "worth it". I know so many guys that have taken lessons and not actually shave a stroke off their handicaps as a result.

yea, and I have been able to improve on my own steadily as I play more, and for thoughts just like you mentioned at the end are part of what make me weary of spending money on lessons at the moment.

I believe I do have a free lesson at golf galaxy, but not sure how much good that would actually do. That will probably be my first venture into any in person lessons.

I know plenty of guys that have gotten lessons and not shaved a stroke off their handicap. In my experience it isn't due to the lesson but rather that they don't put in the work necessary to get better. A lesson is only one part. It also takes patience when you take lessons. You may in fact get worse before you get better. Some guys can only see the short term and not the big picture.

I always fall back to this thought when thinking about lessons and players wanting to get better. Each weekend we watch the best players in the world. The majority of those players all have swing coaches. If the best players in world trust their game to a swing coach. I don't understand why the average player is leery of getting lessons.

Live lessons with the club pro.

He and I really get along and has done wonders working with what I have rather than big, wholesale changes. Plus, since I play there a few times a week, chances are pretty good I can grab him for a few minutes, hit the range and get "check up".

I take in person lessons when I can get a booking slot which at the moment are extremely hard to get. I've tried reading books but they do not really help to much. Peter Finch on Youtube has two good videos on wedge play and chipping that I watch and they both have helped. In a ideal world it would be in person lessons 100% of the time.

I do private lessons with my golf pro. I like the instant feedback. I take lessons every year even when my game is going well.

To look into getting my game better i am finally looking into seeking professional help i played baseball and hockey through college and i am ready to get into some sort of training to get my golf game sorted out... any suggestions?

Took my first in person last November. Was really impressed with the instructor and I have plans to go back in the spring for some more.

I have done paid interactive online lessons and in person private lessons. I generally avoid things like youtube videos and magazine articles for the simple fact that I don't know what my problem is so how do I know what "fix" I need. The only time I use videos is if I am doing a complete overhaul to an aspect of my game; and that may even be a bad thing based on how bad my short game has been lately.

With the advent of video, it is very easy to do online type instruction. Generally send a video or two and then exchange emails on the details. Can't beat in person lessons for the immediate feedback and quicker turnaround on whether you are correctly doing the one or two things you work on per lesson.

I have never had a problem finding an instructor. While their approaches may be different, I generally can find some benefit from any instructor. i do usually discuss their approach and what they think we should work on prior to starting a formal arrangement.

I know plenty of guys that have gotten lessons and not shaved a stroke off their handicap. In my experience it isn't due to the lesson but rather that they don't put in the work necessary to get better. A lesson is only one part. It also takes patience when you take lessons. You may in fact get worse before you get better. Some guys can only see the short term and not the big picture.

I always fall back to this thought when thinking about lessons and players wanting to get better. Each weekend we watch the best players in the world. The majority of those players all have swing coaches. If the best players in world trust their game to a swing coach. I don't understand why the average player is leery of getting lessons.

Good points Shev. Golf is a hard game for most people to get good at, and I think a lot of people aren't willing to work at it or put in the time necessary to improve. I sure wish I could go back & take lessons right from the beginning - I'd be a heck of a lot better player now, that's for sure.

Hello all. New member to the board.

I've been taking online lessons from John Erickson over at Advanced Ball Striking. Not for everyone but I like the old school swing and it has helped me immensely. I will probably be seeking out some in-person lessons this year to help with short game and scoring.

Hey 57Staff.........those clubs look familiar!

Jim

I once asked a THPer where he learned to golf. And his response was "Hank Haney videos on youtube."

I read through this thread and there is lots of good advice already posted.

In my case I had to first come to grips with the fact that I needed to change so many things that enabled me to get the ball around the way i was doing it with some success. Once I let go of that and decided to just do what I was told no matter how bad it felt I started to improve.

I am not very athletic, so I had very little good internal awareness of my body, and a big part of my getting better was to start to get in tune with what I actually am, rather than on the unreal internal view I had.

That doesn't sound like what someone WANTS to hear, but marrying feel and real is a first step to actually building something in this game you can rely on.

My personal list of preference would be:

#1. Working in-person with a coach you trust long-term who understands your goals, commitment and present level.

#2. Working on-line with someone who personalizes for you within a system you can understand and follow step by step.

There are so many ways a swing can be flawed that just scouring the internet or magazines for the 'tip of the day' may be the worst way to improve, especially if you really don't know what your pattern is. An accomplished player may have enough awareness to fix themselves but we amateurs as a rule have little chance. It's not impossible but how long is it going to take?

Having a good instructor is meaningless without putting in the time....... real time, to acquire mastery of the elements of the game. It's a life-long process, but each step in the right direction leads you closer to the goal.

I relate playing golf to playing a musical instrument. The best players work very hard on fundamentals and the smallest details of their craft, and they all started out sounding like crap in their first lessons. True mastery is built up over time with lots of plateaus and setbacks along the way. What separates the good from the average is dedication and perseverance.

I'm an older guy at 57, and I personally would rather spend money on a couple of lessons than on the new 'driver du jour'. Teaching pros are good at what they do in my experience, and worth every penny. I've worked with 3 guys so far and learned a ton from every one.

Do it if you can, and commit to the process.

I read through this thread and there is lots of good advice already posted.

In my case I had to first come to grips with the fact that I needed to change so many things that enabled me to get the ball around the way i was doing it with some success. Once I let go of that and decided to just do what I was told no matter how bad it felt I started to improve.

I am not very athletic, so I had very little good internal awareness of my body, and a big part of my getting better was to start to get in tune with what I actually am, rather than on the unreal internal view I had.

That doesn't sound like what someone WANTS to hear, but marrying feel and real is a first step to actually building something in this game you can rely on.

My personal list of preference would be:

#1. Working in-person with a coach you trust long-term who understands your goals, commitment and present level.

#2. Working on-line with someone who personalizes for you within a system you can understand and follow step by step.

There are so many ways a swing can be flawed that just scouring the internet or magazines for the 'tip of the day' may be the worst way to improve, especially if you really don't know what your pattern is. An accomplished player may have enough awareness to fix themselves but we amateurs as a rule have little chance. It's not impossible but how long is it going to take?

Having a good instructor is meaningless without putting in the time....... real time, to acquire mastery of the elements of the game. It's a life-long process, but each step in the right direction leads you closer to the goal.

I relate playing golf to playing a musical instrument. The best players work very hard on fundamentals and the smallest details of their craft, and they all started out sounding like crap in their first lessons. True mastery is built up over time with lots of plateaus and setbacks along the way. What separates the good from the average is dedication and perseverance.

I'm an older guy at 57, and I personally would rather spend money on a couple of lessons than on the new 'driver du jour'. Teaching pros are good at what they do in my experience, and worth every penny. I've worked with 3 guys so far and learned a ton from every one.

Do it if you can, and commit to the process.

Well put! I wish someone would've forced me to do this 30 years ago haha!

I once asked a THPer where he learned to golf. And his response was "Hank Haney videos on youtube."

this is how i learned as well youtube lol . Never took a lesson mostly shawn clement videos.

I take face to face lessons whenever possible, and I'll occasionally check out YouTube if I'm wondering about a specific issue.

I took a couple of lessons last year.
Ben Hogan's 5 lessons.
YouTube - I'm really liking Martin Chuck recently.

I pay attention to everything going on with single digit handicappers that I sometimes play with. (grip, stance, swing, smarts) When I can set aside some time and money for lessons I will with asst pro at my club.

I take lessons every winter. Cost about the same as buying a new driver every year, and is better for my game than a new driver or new equipment every year.

As long as the pro knows what you expect to get from the lessons. I've found the key for lessons, is you need to go in with your glass empty, if its half or 3/4 full, you won't listen to your instructor, or will forget. If you cannot remember what you took in your lesson the next day, or by the time you get home... well you are going in with the wrong attitude.

You ever hear a pro try to explain something, and all the listener wants to do is tell the pro what he seen on a youtube video, that they for some reason believe that over what the pro is saying? Glass half full. Not good for learning. Took me awhile to "get" this, as I thought I knew more about golf than I actually did.

I now keep a notebook, that I write observations, and questions for my instructor for the next lesson. We go over those questions before starting anything else.

I started taking in person lessons about a little over a year ago. I had a particularly bad round and thought that a new club would fix my issues. Once in the golf store I was talking to one of the guys and he said "why don't you take a lesson instead of buying this club". It sounded like a good idea so that's what I did. We completely re-built my swing. I did get worse before I got better. Now, I'm starting to see the lessons come to fruition and its exciting. I highly recommend in person lessons.

Hey 57Staff.........those clubs look familiar!

Jim

Not these ones! lol At my club fitter now getting bent. Good seeing you Jim.

Les

For inquiring minds........ Les and I met for the first time in person at his home track in Burbank not long ago. For the record. He waxed me good, but I want a rematch! LOL

I put my honor on the line for this guy. He served our country as a West Point grad and is salt of the earth. He and I come from opposite poles of golf instruction but formed a solid friendship in common pursuit of the ideal.

I don't want to speak for him, but we were both seeing the writing on the wall in the failed site we were on before. I know you guys will welcome him as you have done with me.

Shawn Clement (videos and in-person when he's in town).

Additional lessons with my local pro as needed.

Back