Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

They're freaking phenomenal. Love it Taylor.

With the way I use my sand wedge I am really pondering the set SW.

I am really loving this set. It's giving me the distance and trajectory that I have been searching for. Such a beautiful package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the XP 95s in my set now, but I'm thinking about getting fit for different shafts. I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of these fantastic irons!

Went to a local demo day and spent a good amount of time with the callaway fitter, Matt. I got on the launch monitor with the 7 iron and immediately was smacking some great shots hitting the same target every time. I told them that I was eyeing the pxi 6.0 shaft but they didn't have it there so they have me the px 6.0. It was giving me real low spin (3500 rpm) so he switched it out for a nippon that would be similar to the pxi 6.0. I was hitting some great shots (7 iron, 1.35-1.39 smash factor) but the spin was still only around 4800 rpm. He told me I have almost the same swing as him and he plays the cf16s With the pxi 6.0 and he confidentially told me I will be smoking them. I could tell he was liking what he was seeing, every great shot of look back and he would smile basically telling me these are for me.
Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

These are the real deal folks

952c53cbbed6735dd132296caa042667.jpg

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just hitting the ball too far. Pretty much everything has been long today.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Played with them on the range this morning and just used the stock XP shaft. Saw much better results this time, had the height I want which in turn led to better carry. I'll put the 6, 8, and PW in the bag on Sunday. I guess these OEM's may know something about pairing shafts with clubs!

So, I think these should work just fine...

574bb9ac4dc3131c8af930aa9207eed7.jpg

So these clubs....

What do I say about them? Coming from the Apex, and then the XR Pros, I really think this is a great combination of the two of them. Forgiveness, feel, and distance. Paired with the Recoil 110s, this is probably the best iron I have ever hit. When I put a decent swing on them, I am rewarded, but I am certainly still trying to work off the winter rust. I think once I get dialed in I am going to love these things.
I have gone to these from the same 2 sets you have. Are you seeing any distance gains over the XR pros? I am not which is fine as im already pretty much dialed in. I love these irons and agree that they are the perfect combination of the two. I just think the cup face in the XR Pro's gave me the same distance but the CF16 have a much better, forged feel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have gone to these from the same 2 sets you have. Are you seeing any distance gains over the XR pros? I am not which is fine as im already pretty much dialed in. I love these irons and agree that they are the perfect combination of the two. I just think the cup face in the XR Pro's gave me the same distance but the CF16 have a much better, forged feel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Maybe a hair, but nothing significant. It's the feel and forgiveness where these excel over the XR Pros for me

The best part about these for me is the confidence they provide standing over a shot. Knowing a decent swing will be rewarded and a good to great swing will unlock all kinds of awesome out of these. The technology is awesome and the cup face in my 7 and 6 irons is giving me distances I can rely on.

When the fitter was checking my lie, I hit one on the heel and it went dead straight without much of any negative effects. I turned to him and said damn heel shot and he was like what? It went dead straight?!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

So I saw the Rick Shield's YouTube review on these irons. He was hammering the 7 iron 190 yds. He couldn't say enough good things about the irons. No wonder those who own them love them so much!

Last edited:
That is some great ball striking right there!!!! :clapp:

Just like I hit'em- NOT! Well done Rambler!
Thanks. Now, I need to get them to the course, and hopefully have similar strike pattern and good results at the end of the shot.

As much as I have enjoyed them in the dome, scoring is what matters.

Last edited:
9i and PW aren't cup faced for what it's worth.

From 7i down to AW I sit 180, 169, 158, 147, 136. 11 yards per gap and I love it, I can extend and close it as needed.

This turns me off a little. I don't want my wedges going that far. I saw the same problem with 850 Fs. Might have to go with pros and use Apex in 4, 5 and 6. They are not going g to make the combo set for us southpaws.

This turns me off a little. I don't want my wedges going that far. I saw the same problem with 850 Fs. Might have to go with pros and use Apex in 4, 5 and 6. They are not going g to make the combo set for us southpaws.
Different strokes. They spot on what I want to see for my game.

And remember, no one swings the same.

Different strokes. They spot on what I want to see for my game.

And remember, no one swings the same.
Give me all the yards. All of them. fwiw, I don't think the PW is unmanageablely long.

Give me all the yards. All of them. fwiw, I don't think the PW is unmanageablely long.

How does the pw gap w your 50*?

That's the widest gap in my set, between the PW and the AW. I just had the 50* bent to 48* and I think that will help.

hit these today in a setup that isn't ideal for me. still performed very well. my biggest concern would be given my low spin tendencies that these may ultimately not be for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Rambler just picked these up would be curious to hear on what kind of distance he is seeing compared to the 847 other sets of irons he has.

Back