What am I losing by coming over the top with the driver?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Disclaimer* I am basing this on data from a calibrated Zepp device, which I have no clue if it's actually accurate.

I have always been taught that coming over the top promotes an outside/in swing path which leads to a slice.

Playing with my Zepp today revealed that (with my driver only) I am coming over the top in various degrees (4°-20°) about 95% of the time.

Here's the thing: I don't slice. My drives tend to be very straight, and when I hit it well, I can draw the ball nicely. My misses are almost always Pulls to the left.

So, again assuming this is accurate, what am I giving up by coming over the top? Any thoughts?

It's possible to be OTT and hit a straight or even a draw. The straight ball comes from you not releasing the club and most likely your face angle is counter acting the OTT move. This is rare but possible.

I don't know what this Zepp swing thing so I can't dispute it validity. My experience tells me your more than likely lined up right and hitting a pull and on an off chance the occasional draw. I assuming based on my experience and may be way off.

Interesting. I don't feel like I'm set up to the right, but do you think If I set up more center I will consistently pull the ball?

A slice happens when the club face is open relative to its path.

A draw happens when the club face is closed relative to its path.

Mark crossfield has a ton of videos to explain the subject in detail

Isn't it likely that we lose swing speed with OTT?

Yes it is very likely.

this is interesting. please explain. is it a release thing? releasing the club down the line releases the power accumulator of the wrist hinge, but if you're ott you're not able to fully release the wrists? i've never really thought of an ott swing causing a loss of power.

Solid contact can fix that and I think you should check your alignment to rule it out.
Sooooo, I could be leaving yards on the table? Hmmmmmm

this is interesting. please explain. is it a release thing? releasing the club down the line releases the power accumulator of the wrist hinge, but if you're ott you're not able to fully release the wrists? i've never really thought of an ott swing causing a loss of power.

My understanding is that when you come OTT you are not starting the downswing with the hips bumping forward. Instead you start from the top with your arms and shoulders spinning out away from your body. Wich is where it is possible to lose speed in the swing.

My understanding is that when you come OTT you are not starting the downswing with the hips bumping forward. Instead you start from the top with your arms and shoulders spinning out away from your body. Wich is where it is possible to lose speed in the swing.

hmmmm. I'm still not there yet but I appreciate the thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible to be OTT and hit a straight or even a draw. The straight ball comes from you not releasing the club and most likely your face angle is counter acting the OTT move. This is rare but possible.

I don't know what this Zepp swing thing so I can't dispute it validity. My experience tells me your more than likely lined up right and hitting a pull and on an off chance the occasional draw. I assuming based on my experience and may be way off.

I know this move well. To counteract this, since I play it most of the time, I close my front foot, which does exactly what you are saying, aims right.

I know this move well. To counteract this, since I play it most of the time, I close my front foot, which does exactly what you are saying, aims right.

And showing us that an OTT move can be controlled, played and played well. Add the GBB and no distance loss, in fact some serious gains!

And showing us that an OTT move can be controlled, played and played well. Add the GBB and no distance loss, in fact some serious gains!

Thats kind of you.
One thing to note is its certainly not as easy to work with as a proper move. I believe you are asking more in timing.
In a perfect world, I dont think anybody should want to play it.

I was having a conversation the other day and it was mentioned that golfers need to embrace their swings. Most players try to fit their swing into a perceived mold instead of just doing what works. I like that you have embraced your swing and it's yours. We know you miss but we also know where it will be 75% of the time.

hmmmm. I'm still not there yet but I appreciate the thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had it (the loss of club head speed) explained to me by an instructor that said. It's like if you want to punch somebody. Which is going to have more power--Then demonstrated a overhand punch vs an uppercut. The uppercut definitely felt like it would do more damage than an blow coming from the top.

Kind of a different analogy but it showed me the difference in real terms.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Solid contact can fix that and I think you should check your alignment to rule it out.

I was always taught that feet alignment is based on the heels and not the toes. So, opening/closing the front foot would not effect that part of your body's alignment. But, I could be misinterpreting JB's statement.

I was always taught that feet alignment is based on the heels and not the toes. So, opening/closing the front foot would not effect that part of your body's alignment. But, I could be misinterpreting JB's statement.

Not sure why I was quoted but people don't line up with their heels. When we speak of alignment its knees, hips and shoulders.

JB staggers his feet and is aimed right but plays an OTT pull fade. The lack of distance loss is due to his hitting into a firm left side and staying behind the ball.

Lots of good stuff in here.

To add, the OTT move isn't nearly as common as say casting, and THAT'S where most golfers loose power. You can (as Freddie mentioned) have an OTT move and still be a VERY good golfer. Consistency in an move of your swing is key, obviously. Knowing YOUR swing is key, and if you know you're swing and can repeat it more often than not, you can be a good golfer, shoot good scores and have just as much fun as the next guy. Bottom line, having an OTT move isn't a "bad thing" unless you truly WANT to fix that part of your swing.

Back