2016 Grandaddy Of Em All - We Want You

I just checked into a hotel room after a 16 hour work day, jumped on THP, and bam this thread has busted open. The passion by past participants and future hopefuls speaks to the special status of this event. THP, to me, can be to whatever level you wish it to be. You can lurk, sporadically post, or be all in. The caveat being you get out of it what you put into it. I'm not sure I will feel the same bond many of you share until I meet some of you and have the opportunity to play some golf with you. Being such a new active member you don't know me but I've been reading you guys for so long, I feel like I know you a bit. Whether I'm fortunate enough to be in the Grandaddy or not, the fact that this event, and so many others, exist says so much about this organization. I'm proud and happy to be a part of THP...AND I WANT IN THE GRANDDADDY!

I strongly recommend anybody interested, take a few minutes and go through the live update thread from the last few years.
or if you are just interested in seeing THPers live out a cool dream and fun competition

Heck, if changing your real name helped get you in, well you could call me Bertha Mackdaddy
Lol, that is awesome and better than Chromesoft XR16

I just want to see a group that is genuinely interested in seeing all aspects of THP succeed. That's what I pushed for (probably too hard) as a Morgan Cup captain, and you can bet I'll do it again for this event. I want every member to factor, and I want every member to be a strong part of this community before and after the event. That's what matters to me.
Great post. I can get 100% behind it. Put me in, Capadan! :D

I just want to see a group that is genuinely interested in seeing all aspects of THP succeed.
Can you explain more what this statement means to you, Dan?

Can you explain more what this statement means to you, Dan?

THP means a lot of things to a lot of different people. THP is a lot of things to a lot of different people.

For me:

First and foremost, it's a community. We thrive here as individuals with wives who probably don't care about what we have to say about golf (At least that's what got me hunting for an outlet some 6 years ago)... But when I think about community I think about a place where we gather, share knowledge, learn things, and gain friendships that last lifetimes. That means that I would love to see 100% Grandaddy team brotherhood extend well past the event ON the site.. which leads me to my next element;

We are ambassadors... of not only THP, but the companies involved (in this case Callaway). With the diverse lineup they offer, I am confident we'll find 14 clubs that suit our game well, and the royal treatment that comes with a full bag fitting and conversations at their facilities give great reasons to share that knowledge and experience with others. This is something that makes these events make sense for those who orchestrate, and it's been that way for many years --- and that does NOT mean homerisms and general <3 nonsense. Honest feedback, which is what this site has always been about, with the availability to explain and expand.

and finally, we are the lucky few. On a forum of many, with thousands of readers, I would want each participant to acknowledge the importance of their position to not only share their experiences of the equipment, but also of the event for those who haven't been as lucky. We dictate how well the forum can follow along during and after the event, and each member of my team should plainly recognize and own that it's in their hands how much THP gets to share about this once in a lifetime incredible experience.

At the end of the day, this is about us. We'll be a team of 8-10 on paper, with a team of thousands following along. I want that aspect to be powerful.

I just can't keep up. Step away for an hour and I've got five pages to catch up on.

I went to sleep and woke up to nearly 10 pages of talk

All I want to be able to do is play golf with great people, great gear and on an amazing course

Life for me the past few weeks has been insane. I finally get a chance to climb back into this thread, and it's going bananas. I love what Josh is saying about seeing THP succeed. Not just on the golf course, but helping to take its place as a community where people can go to get first-rate content about the golf gear that matters to them, and also see that more and more golf companies come to THP as part of helping to get that content out there. In the past almost three years since I joined, it's amazing how much THP has really become a nexus where golf companies bring products, knowing they'll get honest opinions from golfers of a variety of skill levels who are passionate about their game. And from here it goes not just to the community of people who engage in the testing, but the thousands of people who will casually come here for a product review.

Obviously we're talking about the Granddaddy here in this thread, which means Callaway. I love that Callaway has been kind of ahead of the game in terms of reaching out to golfing forums like THP, and I love even more that Callaway honors that early relationship by continuing to put on awesome events like the Granddaddy. It's such a great offering that they put on, and I'm hoping to get a chance to participate this year. Callaway really bought me out in 2014 with the treatment I received as a Morgan Cup staffer, and as I get farther away from it, I realize how much of a big deal that event was for me. The idea that I would get into marketing, and really have a clear picture that being involved in the golf industry after I retire from the Army, really did get its start with being part of the Morgan Cup. I can honestly say, since it came up in another conversation elsewhere, that I have the clearest idea of what I'll do post-Army I've ever had, largely because of THP and the events they put on.

I remember during a particularly frustrating run of golf and life as I prepared for the Morgan Cup that I was worried I'd half-ass it. And there was some back and forth between me and some other folks where I did have to sort of clarify where I was at at the time. It was a pretty selfish thing of me to say. I realize now how much more I want THP to succeed because of how much it's done for how I perceive the future, whether that's golf or this forum or the giant "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" picture. I want THP to still be around, to be even bigger and more successful -- whatever that looks like -- in 10 years when I'm working somewhere in the golf industry, because I believe THP introduced me to my dream job. I don't think that decade-away success lives or dies on the outcome of the 2016 Granddaddy. But if I did get a chance to join Captain Dan and give it a go, I know I don't have any half-assing to worry about.

Wow, that got really rambly.

It would be tremendous honor to be part of the first granddaddy team that beats the Zoo crew. The is a community that has grown my love for golf.

If changing my forum name got me into the grandaddy id do it as soon as possible. Haha

Let it not be said that I can't take good advice! The new old me is here and ready to participate given the opportunity!!!!

Wow this thing blew up last night. Not always for the best of reasons but that's neither here nor there.

So being from the original Granddaddy and seeing how the event has evolved and become better each and every year makes me smile. Now for me did I do as great of a job as my successors? Maybe not, but I try and talk about my experience any chance I get. I love sharing that and showing everyone the perks of being apart of the greatest amateur event anywhere.

I want back in, I want my shot at winning again and I wanna make that Zoocrew head home with their tails between their legs. I will try and earn my spot just like everyone else and be just as engaged as I always am. I don't deserve special treatment or think I'm owed something. This place has changed my life in so many ways and so many times that I feel like I could give back so much more. This event isn't just about all the sweet swag, OK it is but that's for another post, but about doing your part to making this event the best it can be. If you put in the time to make this place great you will get so much more back. Not only with events and contests but just meeting some truly special people, I never thought I would have so many great friends from across the country from an Internet golf forum but it happened and I couldn't be more thankful.

So here it is, I lost. I'm not happy about it and I wanna make things right. This year THP won't style for losing, again, and I want to make sure that doesn't happen. If you do as well, don't just pay in here that you do. There is so much more this place has to offer so get out there, get involved change your life and make THP bigger and better and who knows make you will get the call to step up and take it to the next level.

Nope. But, it should not be hard if you get some gear to review that gear, to talk about the experience, etc. You did this as good as just about anybody.

Ne he shouldnt.

Activity is definitely not based strictly on post count.

Let me ask you this. You were in the King, you received a driver for that event, do you think you did a good job reviewing it? Asking honestly since I have not looked at that thread in a long time. I know after the event, you switched to a TaylorMade, so I was curious.

And to be fair, we have not said activity or post count matters at all. All we have said is that engagement will matter. The team will be made up of THPers.

Now lets get back to the action of the fact that contests are starting soon and Jason Finley will be on THP Radio next week talking about this very event.

I know you work very hard to be objective for events, and that is to be applauded. There is clearly a core group who knows each other and has many shared experiences. As such there is an insider banter every day on the forum among that group. It can be a little daunting to the new member to feel part of the THP community. Posts can feel like they go into the void. But I also believe that through commitment and participation there is a progressive opportunity to become more part of the core of THP. I initially came here because I needed something, knowledge. I stayed because THP offered more. And I will continue to toss my hat into the ring for events I can make because that's where I think the next step in engagement can happen. It is hard to understand or really get to know a person through back and forth text on a forum. Those real shared experiences are where people really learn about each other and, I believe, grow. Participating in any THP event will be a win for me.

But I am also one driven and competitive person. Challenge brings out the best in me. #TheGranddaddy

edit: fixed my hashtag

Last edited:
Team THP - 2016 Grandaddy Of Em All - We Want You

Team THP - 2016 Grandaddy Of Em All - We Want You

There really isn't a core. There are people that met at THP EVents and those numbers are in the thousands not hundreds.

There are also people I have never met that are crazy active and through the game we all love enjoy themselves the same. A perception of a core is more a perception than reality. Activity level and golf conversation does the same

Yes some people use real names when responding (I am not a fan) but that has less to do with THP or THP events and more to do with local get togethers. I will say we started THP for a lot of reasons but they do not stand for exclusion.

Just a heads up, the hashtag is #TheGrandaddy.

Make no mistake, this is what we are after! We need to go out and get it! #EyesOnThePrize #IWantThatBelt #TheGrandaddy

20141210_142234.jpg

I don't think THP having a core is negative. People have invested in the community for long periods of time, and it shows. But that wasn't my intended point anyway. I think becoming part of any community takes time and commitment. And as one who is continuing to learn about THP, the power of these events, both ways, is a growing awareness. It is amazing, and I am humbled that the opportunity even exists. I get a lot out of THP and want to do what I can to give back as well. That's the message I want to come through -- the way I see my engagement here -- and hopefully that's what is coming across from me.

#TheGranddaddy

Make no mistake, this is what we are after! We need to go out and get it! #EyesOnThePrize #IWantThatBelt #TheGrandaddy

20141210_142234.jpg
As JRod will be my cap for #TheGauntlet I will pay close attention to his strengths and weaknesses.

Will do whatever it takes to be a part of #TheGranddy and want to be matched up with JRod.

As JRod will be my cap for #TheGauntlet I will pay close attention to his strengths and weaknesses.

Will do whatever it takes to be a part of #TheGranddy and want to be matched up with JRod.

His strengths
Handicap Number
Incredible Guy
Make You Laugh & Cry

His Weakness
Fishing
Wine
Does not have many

His strengths
Handicap Number
Incredible Guy
Make You Laugh & Cry

His Weakness
Fishing
Wine
Does not have many
You forgot DNevs math. Thats a strength of every Zoo Crew member

His strengths
Handicap Number
Incredible Guy
Make You Laugh & Cry

His Weakness
Fishing
Wine
Does not have many
Perfect. I'll bring a couple cases of wine and get him hung over. LOL.

Perfect. I'll bring a couple cases of wine and get him hung over. LOL.
That may backfire. He woke up Tuesday morning with the wine sweats and went on to win 3 matches

That may backfire. He woke up Tuesday morning with the wine sweats and went on to win 3 matches

That's why he's a champ

Back