Adam Scott Says No To Olympics

I must be the only one that doesn't really care lol he can do whatever. I'm not going to look at him any differently because he skipped the Olympics. Plenty of athletes in many sports have chosen to do so. Lots of politics involved, sadly its not just golf.

He said it himself. Its about HIM winning a major defining HIS career, rather than his country winning gold for the people.

His prerogative, but I understand why some would struggle with it a bit.

With everything going on with Brazil right now, I am not surprised at all. If the reason for him not going is because of the conditions in Brazil....

Edit: didn't see that he said t was for different reasons.

Rio is an absolute dump based on reports. Were it up to me, there's no way I'd ever go. I sympathize with any athlete going considering what has already been contracted there. I wonder how his response would have been taken if he'd come out and said "I'm not going to that **** hole to golf, not a chance"

It's pretty telling when the PGA Tour offered a plane to fly players down and back in time for their next tournament (I think API?) and not a single player took them up on it.

I can get down with that.

Question for you, if the opportunity arose would you represent the US?

10 years ago I'd say not a chance in hell. Now, I think I'd probably bow out with the idea that someone born in this Country should represent it before me, but it wouldn't be without a ton of pride in receiving that kind of offer. Post school (mostly awful high school) the United States has been wonderful to me. I owe this Country a lot.

...unless it's in Rio. I'd say no to Rio regardless hahahaha

Rio is an absolute dump based on reports. Were it up to me, there's no way I'd ever go. I sympathize with any athlete going considering what has already been contracted there. I wonder how his response would have been taken if he'd come out and said "I'm not going to that **** hole to golf, not a chance"

I'd actually be way more ok with that. It just sits funny with me if his reason is simply that he doesn't care.

Hickey players interrupt their regular season to participate. US professional baseball laters leave their minor-league organizations and impact their ability to make the majors. NBA players give up their off-season and put their body through more wear and tear.i'm sure professional soccer players around the world are impacted by the Olympic schedule but they choose to represent their country. It's a matter of selfishess versus selflessness to put the greater good head of oneself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually soccer in the olympics for men is restricted to U23 players with 3 older played allowed max (generally never any stars)

The big tournament for them is the World Cup and no one actually cares much about olympic soccer.

In other sports the Olympics has been fairly important for a long time now. If not for the dream team how many basketball players do you think would be super interested in playing?

Golf doesn't have that tradition for the Olympics (same as soccer) so the draw just isn't there yet.

It's pretty telling when the PGA Tour offered a plane to fly players down and back in time for their next tournament (I think API?) and not a single player took them up on it.

Maybe if the location was elsewhere I'd be a little bit more concerned with the decision. I personally can't get away from that as a non-starter considering the reports of diseases and contracted viruses that came from some athletes down there already.

Also, I wonder if anyone else follows suit now. First person is always going to take the most heat, no?

I have no issue with him not wanting to go. To each his own. As to the patriotism angle, I wonder what his response would be if you walked up to him in a bar and said "Australia blows." I think he'd probably take it poorly.

Maybe if the location was elsewhere I'd be a little bit more concerned with the decision. I personally can't get away from that as a non-starter considering the reports of diseases and contracted viruses that came from some athletes down there already.

Also, I wonder if anyone else follows suit now. First person is always going to take the most heat, no?

For a poor field hockey player I would get that, and certainly for any athlete having to get in the water. But Scott will fly in in a jet, stay in a uber nice resort with lots of pest control, and drink Evian. I don't think his risk is all that high.

My wife spent a couple of days in Rio last year and said it was absolutely horrible.

I have a feeling he won't be the only person who declines going. I think people skipped the charter to go there completely because of where it is, not because of the Olympics.

Is there a backup plan for countries to host the games if the city just can't get it done?

I have no issue with him not wanting to go. To each his own. As to the patriotism angle, I wonder what his response would be if you walked up to him in a bar and said "Australia blows." I think he'd probably take it poorly.

Is that what patriotism has come to? Genuine question. In this country its mocked more than applauded unless tragedy strikes, or once every four years for the Olympics.

For a poor field hockey player I would get that, and certainly for any athlete having to get in the water. But Scott will fly in in a jet, stay in a uber nice resort with lots of pest control, and drink Evian. I don't think his risk is all that high.
Maybe he's a germophobe?

I don't have a problem with the Olympic Games, and I don't have a problem with someone choosing not to be a part of them. My problems are more with the IOC.

I know Scott stated his views on the olympics, but I feel like it was at least partially a manufactured answer. I really think a good number of athletes are scared about the location, but there is something keeping them from coming out and saying it clearly. (Ready your tinfoil hats, fellas) I don't blame the players one bit for dropping out, but I don't like to see it happen.

Its a big deal that golf is back in the olympics. I think this can have some real positive effects on the game of golf around the world. I worry that the more golfers that drop out, the less successful the event will be. The gold medal means less if Adam Scott didn't fight you for it. If any other high ranking player drops out, this continues. If they just don't like the scheduling or don't feel a connection to their home turf, understandable. If they're dropping out because of all the mess down in Rio, that really bothers me. I don't like that the politics of the IOC seems to be playing such a role in the success or failure of this event.

Wonder how location played into his decision. Sounds like many athletes are skipping out of this one.

Bingo. The cesspool that is Rio and the Zika virus spreading there would make this a no-brainer pass for me. I have no argument for anyone choosing to go or skip it. I can understand both sides.

I would have thought those two would have been huge favorites going in, I wonder how many others will follow suit and not show interest in competing there.

Surprised more have not. Pro athletes already have a busy schedule and with the location of these summer games I would think more may do the same.

I heard that this morning on GC. I was kind of surprised. I would think playing for your country would be an honor.
Brazil is a dump, though I'm not sure that's the reason he declined. If it is, I don't blame him.

Is that what patriotism has come to? Genuine question. In this country its mocked more than applauded unless tragedy strikes, or once every four years for the Olympics.

Is there a threshold of time where a person spends outside of their home country before "Patriotism" becomes less of a thing? Is there a genuine understanding there? I'm not talking about forgetting where you came from or still owning it, I'm talking about waving the flag and staying in touch with goings on there.

Having lived it myself, I personally believe there is... and if he's not passionate about it, why take the spot from someone who is?

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure I'd want to risk it. I'd take my own water and food, but if I were to get bit by a mosquito down there, I might freak out. Who knows if they have golf again in 4 years, but if I'm under 30...I'll wait until the next go around.

Brazil is a dump, though I'm not sure that's the reason he declined. If it is, I don't blame him.

He is quoted in saying it's about schedule and prioritizing the majors, but I've learned over the years that pressers aren't exactly all that going on. "My tooth hurt" and "my glutes didn't fire" are good comparables hahaha

OK here is my theory ... Adam's agent is working with JB right now, to see if Adam can possible play on team THP for the Grandaddy ... going to the Olympics would impact his training schedule and preparation for the event.

Heck some of us are practicing and training right now, and we have not even been selected! Based on that theory I can't say I blame him.

He is quoted in saying it's about schedule and prioritizing the majors, but I've learned over the years that pressers aren't exactly all that going on. "My tooth hurt" and "my glutes didn't fire" are good comparables hahaha
I'd say either are legit reasons ... well maybe not the glutes (lol). What's more prestigious? Winning a Major or the Olympics? In golfing circles, I'd say a Major ... and that's probably all that matters, especially if golf is a one and done deal at the Olympics.

I don't know, JB.

Back