Adam Scott Says No To Olympics

I'd say either are legit reasons ... well maybe not the glutes (lol). What's more prestigious? Winning a Major or the Olympics? In golfing circles, I'd say a Major ... and that's probably all that matters, especially if golf is a one and done deal at the Olympics.

Well, we certainly know what Adam Scott thinks. haha!

Last edited:
Is that what patriotism has come to?
I think patriotism went out the door a long time ago. As with all things nowadays, it's all about dollars. Does the IOC award the games to the most patriotic countries, or just the ones that line their pockets the deepest? The IOC is one of the most corrupt sporting institutions out there, rivaled only by FIFA. I can see why athletes wouldn't give two cruds about it ... especially in the professional ranks.

I would love to have been in the games. I have a kid who will go to the trials in her sport. Just the chance to do that is awesome and speaks to what a huge deal it is to many athletes.However I understand that Adam is a professional golfer. He has been for a long time. He spends most of his time in the United States. I don't think it makes him less patriotic. He is now a family man and has accomplished a lot for his age. It is ok to let someone else have this moment.

For a poor field hockey player I would get that, and certainly for any athlete having to get in the water. But Scott will fly in in a jet, stay in a uber nice resort with lots of pest control, and drink Evian. I don't think his risk is all that high.
Idk if it's anything like Sochi it won't be comfortable haha. People had the impression it would be ok until athletes started taking pictures of the absolutely disgusting housing.

Idk if it's anything like Sochi it won't be comfortable haha. People had the impression it would be ok until athletes started taking pictures of the absolutely disgusting housing.

Yep, I agree for the average athlete it may be pretty terrible. I don't think guys like Scott are going to be staying in the dorms.

Wonder how location played into his decision. Sounds like many athletes are skipping out of this one.
I have to say I probably would to based on the conditions!

I find it odd for people to say that it has something to do with patriotism but this is the same guy that yelled "Come on Aussie" when he made a putt that put him in the playoff to win the Masters.

MO
(1) The Zika virus is becoming a VERY big deal - the more they find out, the scarier it is. I can imagine that the possibility of infecting family or loved ones has got to be on the minds of a lot of players, especially among the LPGA.

(2) If the Olympics was all about representing your country and the ideals of sportsmanship I would be upset with anyone not going but like most things it's a big money grab that enlists professionals instead of amateurs, so I'll give a pass on that.

(3) What the hell were they thinking by staging a 72 hole individual stroke play event (just like EVERY OTHER WEEK on tour) instead of a team tournament? dumb

This really surprised me

Wonder how location played into his decision. Sounds like many athletes are skipping out of this one.
I wouldn't go there, either. Brazil has turned into quite a 3rd world country, IMO. Go on LiveLeak and search Rio, or Brazil in general, and see what kind of horrific place it has become.

Oh yea, and I agree with his Majors over Medals analogy.

Yep, I agree for the average athlete it may be pretty terrible. I don't think guys like Scott are going to be staying in the dorms.

I thought I read or watched something that said they would be required to stay in the dorms.

I thought I read or watched something that said they would be required to stay in the dorms.
That's dumb, I get it for the amateurs to to force pro athletes to stat in dorms is nuts.

He doesn't view the Olympics as the pinnacle of his sport, and he doesn't think that golf should be in the Olympics. This is what he said last May, almost a year ago:
“Whether I win an Olympic medal or not is not going to define my career or change whether I’ve fulfilled my career,” he continued. “It’s nothing I’ve ever aspired to do and I don’t think I ever will. It’s all about the four majors and I think that’s the way it should stay for golf.

“To go and play an exhibition event down there to meet some athletes (in other sports) in the middle of the major season, I don’t think any other athletes in their sport would do that.”

Knowing those are his views, I don't get why people are surprised.

Except the entire NHL does it for 2.5 weeks

I wouldn't go there, either. Brazil has turned into quite a 3rd world country, IMO. Go on LiveLeak and search Rio, or Brazil in general, and see what kind of horrific place it has become.

Oh yea, and I agree with his Majors over Medals analogy.

Its a mess there. They have been trying to clean up rio for the World Cup and the Olympics but once these are over ifs going to go back to being even worse. When my wife went to visit family last month I had no desire to go for all the reasons you mentioned plus

That's dumb, I get it for the amateurs to to force pro athletes to stat in dorms is nuts.

If they are above the living conditions of Olympic Athletes, maybe it ought not to be a part of the Olympics.

Initial shock was quickly overcome with the reminders of how much of a disaster everything over there (Rio) is being handled.

I am another one who is kind surprised to see this but I guess in the end it is his decision.

I read it and thought, good for him. Why does he have to be expected to go. There has been talks about what really counts in the sport (masters) and the 'exhibition' angle, so i have no issue with him deciding it's not worthwhile. As for Rio, year, that's a giant cluster... hope everyone makes it out of there okay.

Surprised, he seems very patriotic to me! His choice I guess!

If they are above the living conditions of Olympic Athletes, maybe it ought not to be a part of the Olympics.

I don't think it's about living conditions so much as they are established professionals worth millions of dollars. There is security to consider as well.

Yeah, I get it as well. Honestly, The Olympics has gone downhill since it started letting pro atheletes compete. Its become more about sponsorship dollars and corruption than a collection of competitions amongst the greatest amatuer atheletes in the world. I used to get so excited for the olympics but now I barely care, especially once they decided to remove wrestling as sport. Thats just wrong.

Wrestling was reinstated due to overwhelming support for it as an original Olympic sport.

As for Adam Scott's decision, I totally understand his decision not to go. One, national pride, I think, is a different animal from how Americans view it. I can't say how it's different, but I've hung out with enough non-Americans to understand that how they view their homeland is different than how I view mine. So while I totally understand that many people can't or don't quite get the idea that someone wouldn't take off the "do it for you" view and put on the "do it for your country" view overnight, I'm aware that there are some people who simply don't care to see golf viewed in that patriotic light.

Also, I'd say that golf, unlike wrestling or gymnastics or track & field events, doesn't have a one-time Olympic shot. If he changes his mind, I'd say he'll get another shot at it. Heck, I think Langer can make the German team until he dies. Also, while playing golf in Rio will be notably safer than, say, open-water swimming, it's still, personal opinion, not the safest place to be. I can't imagine taking in "the Olympic experience" in a place that will be deluged in either riots or riot police, in a nation that boasts something like 20 of the 50 most dangerous cities in the world.

Last edited:
I don't think it's about living conditions so much as they are established professionals worth millions of dollars. There is security to consider as well.

I am interested to know how NHL players operate during the winter Olympics. Obviously same situation (minus the obvious dingleberries claiming hockey doesn't matter).

Back