Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

18 planned tomorrow. I can't wait to get this one in play. Paired with the Hashimoto it's a beast for me.

Did you have to change your loft at all when going to the Hashimoto?

Nope. 9* head +1, and left the weight and GC set up the same. It gives me a slightly lower launch than the KK TiNi, but I'm seeing less spin which helps with my carry distance

Just got back from the range today and this is the best ive hit the driver since being at ECPC. Might be my swing coming back into form, might be going back to the shaft and loft i was fit for, but whatever it is it feels like home. Even my misses were towards the heel slightly and gravity core took care of that. I cant wait to get back out on the course

This club has been an absolute hammer for me...great distance and dispersion off the tee. Really happy with my high toe miss that the gravity core straightens out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

*Warning*: I am a Callaway fanboy, feel free to view this post through that lens haha:

This is by far the best driver I have ever played. Have this paired with a Graphite Design Tour AD BB6, and it is so long and straight. I was in between this club, the Great Big Bertha, and the M1. The GBB was the longest, but very inconsistent and not as inaccurate. The M1 was about the same length, and it was almost as straight. However, the M1 had the tendency to turn over too much when I would go after one, and a big hit would lead to inconsistent contact. The DBD is solid contact almost every time, and it only gets better as I swing harder. It's surprisingly forgiving, and it feels just like a solid crack. It's a very pleasing sound, and I believe it to be the best driver on the market right now by far.

Ugh. Just hit my 816 DBD against another companies low spin head and cut 800+ rpm of spin and gained considerable yardage over my driver. Absolutely guts me.

Ugh. Just hit my 816 DBD against another companies low spin head and cut 800+ rpm of spin and gained considerable yardage over my driver. Absolutely guts me.

Mind sharing what setup that was? I'm in love with my DBD, but I'm always open to improving.

Mind sharing what setup that was? I'm in love with my DBD, but I'm always open to improving.
Titleist 915D4. 9.5° Diamana S+ 60X

I was 2/4 hitting fairways with this today. I have been playing with the grandura 530 in x and like the combo. My misses today were smother hooks that I blame on me. The two I hit were absolutely crushed. One was 302 on a flat hole. The second was 315, uphill, easily my longest drive ever. It was 250 to the top of the hill and probably got a good forward kick too, but loved the carry. Both were straight as arrows and high flying. Need to keep working on that driver swing, but I like what I've been seeing.

Previous driver was the D3, guess I'll have to hit the D4.
It lowered my spin. What makes me sad, I hit fairways with my DBD, but I'm giving up 25 yards to do it. I'm not ok with that.

It lowered my spin. What makes me sad, I hit fairways with my DBD, but I'm giving up 25 yards to do it. I'm not ok with that.
Driver change coming?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Driver change coming?

I don't like it. Having just gotten driver in October. Really grinds my gears. I hate not maximizing equipment potential.

Whoa. 800 rpms of spin on an already really low spin head (based on what you posted previously) gave way to 25 yards distance gain? Simulator, launch monitor on range or on course testing?

Whoa. 800 rpms of spin on an already really low spin head (based on what you posted previously) gave way to 25 yards distance gain? Simulator, launch monitor on range or on course testing?
Track Man. The 25 yard gain was comparing my best swing with the other driver to the average of my driver. When comparing averages, it was closer to 15 yards difference of overall distance. Carry was at most 10 yards difference between averages.

I think the d4 is more penalizing on mishits than the dbd just something to keep in mind. Most I know that have had one loved it until that one day the swing was off just a touch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think the d4 is more penalizing on mishits than the dbd just something to keep in mind. Most I know that have had one loved it until that one day the swing was off just a touch.

"Raise hand"

I know that is something I need to think about. The DBD is better at ball speed retention, but I know I'm giving up yardage on good swings. I have a hard time stomaching that.

I know that is something I need to think about. The DBD is better at ball speed retention, but I know I'm giving up yardage on good swings. I have a hard time stomaching that.
Is it something worth it though? 10 yards carry on well hit shots which in a round you may end up averaging more over all the holes with the dbd due to the ball speed retention.
I know we all want the longest but I am now approaching it as I want the consistently longest and straightest it is the reason I am swapping out of the m1 it is long for me but it is super penalizing on my miss. From what I know your pretty long already I would take the fairway finder all day over the little increased distance on the perfect shots

Track Man. The 25 yard gain was comparing my best swing with the other driver to the average of my driver. When comparing averages, it was closer to 15 yards difference of overall distance. Carry was at most 10 yards difference between averages.

And club head speed was the same with these?
Because if we are dealing with same loft, 800 RPMs (which most amateur golfers vary that much frequently) wouldnt make up that kind of difference with two low spin heads.
And FWIW, the Sub Zero is even lower spinning.

And club head speed was the same with these?
Im going out on a limb here, but I would bet contact was better with one than the other, or you were simply swinging one faster than the other. Because if we are dealing with same loft, 800 RPMs (which most amateur golfers vary that much frequently) wouldnt make up that kind of difference with two low spin heads.
And FWIW, the Sub Zero is even lower spinning.

I believe they were both 9.5° loft. I believe. I'm not sure on swing speed, but I do know contact probably played a part. I may have been forcing it to make the DBD work. I do know that the spin rate between my best balls with each was closer to 400 rpm.

I need to find a Sub Zero to demo. I can't just blind buy it. Not when I know the 915D4 performs better than what I have. The biggest hold up for me, as silly as this sounds, I have a nice looking set. I like the matching setup and, after the way Callaway treated us/me in Hilton Head, I like being loyal to them. But I also hate giving up performance.

I believe they were both 9.5° loft. I believe. I'm not sure on swing speed, but I do know contact probably played a part. I may have been forcing it to make the DBD work. I do know that the spin rate between my best balls with each was closer to 400 rpm.

I need to find a Sub Zero to demo. I can't just blind buy it. Not when I know the 915D4 performs better than what I have. The biggest hold up for me, as silly as this sounds, I have a nice looking set. I like the matching setup and, after the way Callaway treated us/me in Hilton Head, I like being loyal to them. But I also hate giving up performance.
I hate to think I may be leaving something on the table also. Doesn't hurt to follow the trail and find out for sure. Imo

Did you alternate shots or hit one and then the other? Because if the spin rate is 400 RPMs at the best shot, the distance should not be that different between the two drivers unless contact and/or ball speed is different. Having tested and played with both of these drivers for long periods of time, I dont find the spin all that different between them personally or during our testing. I also didnt find the forgiveness that much different, although the DBD offered more vertically, and the biggest difference was high on the face.

If someone is seeing a 25 yard difference based only on a spin difference and its less than a huge number, contact and/or club head speed had to have played a pretty big roll there.

Did you alternate shots or hit one and then the other? Because if the spin rate is 400 RPMs at the best shot, the distance should not be that different between the two drivers unless contact and/or ball speed is different. Having tested and played with both of these drivers for long periods of time, I dont find the spin all that different between them personally or during our testing. I also didnt find the forgiveness that much different, although the DBD offered more vertically, and the biggest difference was high on the face.

If someone is seeing a 25 yard difference based only on a spin difference and its less than a huge number, contact and/or club head speed had to have played a pretty big roll there.
I'm sure contact is the biggest culprit because ball speeds were different. The shafts weren't similar either. Kuro Kage TiNi 60 in mine and a Diamana S+ in the other. I may have been pressing with my driver.

But I have never seen numbers (off of a Foresight G2C+HMT mostly) on my driver with as long of carry, total distances, and as low of spin as I saw today with the other driver on a Trackman.

Back