Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
First, they built the Big Bertha Alpha. A revolutionary design where golfers could flip cores to change the CG, while still maintaining that excellent platform built by the Razr Fit and Razr Fit Xtreme drivers. Then they took it to the next level by introducing less spin with more forgiveness in a name that should have threatened even the more skilled golfers in “Double Black Diamond” with the 815 Alpha.

Today, the introduction of the 816 Double Black Diamond. A driver that is intended for highly skilled golfers seeking the ability of taking their driver game to the next level of low spin and customization, with two chambers for gravity core customization. Add in a deeper face, R-MOTO technology, and a fantastic looking matte finish on the head, and intrigue is effectively piqued. We can use this thread to discuss the latest driver from Callaway during the testing process.

From Callaway

• Pricing: $499.99
• Available Lofts: 9*, 10.5*
• Product at Retail Date: 9/18/2015

Product Introduction:

The new Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver is built for the best players. They’re already long, and they’ll get even longer with the new Dual Distance Chambers that give them exactly what they need to get every last yard out of their drives.

You can use the Gravity Core for more ball speed, and it’s easy to do. Just pick your Distance Chamber for a draw or neutral setting. Then flip the Gravity Core up or down depending on where your normal impact location is on the face. Set the gravity core up for impact locations above center, or down for impact locations at center or below. You do that, and you’ll get the ball flight that you want to play, with maximized ball speed set to your impact location.

Throw in a faster, deeper face and our OptiFit adjustability and you can see why this club deserves to carry the Alpha name. It’s the ultimate combination of distance and shot-shaping control for the highest caliber players.

Features & Benefits

Extreme Distance From Dual Distance Chambers - If you’re looking for a neutral or draw ball flight to work the ball with more control, pick the left or right chamber. Then set the Gravity Core up or down depending on where you hit the ball for maximum ball speed. It’s a distance turbo charger to increase your ball speed and the ultimate combination of extreme distance and shot-shaping control for the best players.

Ball Speed From Next Gen R*MOTO Technology - To get every last yard out of your driver, you need more speed. That’s why we put in our next generation R*MOTO Technology. It provides the structure for a thinner face, leading to high ball speeds on center hits and off-center hits too.

A Deeper Face, Traditional Shape and a Low Center of Gravity - The best players want a deeper face, a traditional shape and a low center of gravity to reduce spin with just the right amount of forgiveness and workability. And that’s exactly what we’re giving them with this driver. The shape of the crown, the open face angle, and the matte black finish with no distractions all suit better players’ eyes when they’re standing over the ball.

OptiFit Adjustability - Tune the driver to the settings you want to play with our 8-way adjustability. You can add loft, take loft off or adjust the lie angle to fit your swing.

Stock Standard Shafts:

• Aldila Rogue I/O 60
• Mitsbuishi Diamana D+ 70

In Hand Photos

20150809_182923-L.jpg

20150809_182936-L.jpg

20150809_183010-L.jpg

20150809_183141-L.jpg

20150809_183146-L.jpg

20150809_183200-L.jpg

20150809_183206-L.jpg

20150809_183225-L.jpg

20150809_183440-L.jpg

20150809_183234-L.jpg

20150809_183307-L.jpg

20150809_183318-L.jpg

20150809_183330-L.jpg

Last edited:
Low spinning beast in my trial. For those that really suffer from spin off the tee, this is something to take a look at.

low spinning and I could slide that GC out towards to the toe chamber. Certainly an interesting idea. Looking forward to Dan's thoughts on it.

Low spinning beast in my trial. For those that really suffer from spin off the tee, this is something to take a look at.
Last year's seemed to be aimed at only the best of the best ball strikers, is that still the case this year or is it sliding into more of the alpha roll?

Last year's seemed to be aimed at only the best of the best ball strikers, is that still the case this year or is it sliding into more of the alpha roll?

In my opinion that is still the case. The new Great Big Bertha will be the driver that offers a lot of forgiveness and aims at the masses where this will be targeted to high spin not a lot of misses type of player.

JB- have you hit this one? If so how would you compare the forgiveness to the bba815 DBD? I liked that one a lot bc it helped with my spin, but not forgiving enough. Curious how this one is.

So the gravity core is up or down, and in either one of the chambers? This sounds like a dream for someone who's got a consistent miss on the face, right? You can move the CG closer to that position?

JB- have you hit this one? If so how would you compare the forgiveness to the bba815 DBD? I liked that one a lot bc it helped with my spin, but not forgiving enough. Curious how this one is.

Yes sir.
To me forgiveness part is similar. Its not really aimed at that honestly, in my opinion. To me its aimed at being a low spin players' driver that offers dramatic reduction and the ability to flight the ball in all directions with relative ease.

For me, thank goodness there is the Great Big Bertha (which I love so far). Both really good pieces of equipment, just for very different golfers.

Great information drop Dan. As a typically high spin player off the tee this driver seems to have all the tech I am looking for and need in my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir.
To me forgiveness part is similar. Its not really aimed at that honestly, in my opinion. To me its aimed at being a low spin players' driver that offers dramatic reduction and the ability to flight the ball in all directions with relative ease.

For me, thank goodness there is the Great Big Bertha (which I love so far). Both really good pieces of equipment, just for very different golfers.

Thanks. The #InternetGolfer in me says this needs to be hit, but the practical golfer knows GBB is the way to go

This has my attention. I am very happy with the DBD. But less spin intrigues me

I love low spin heads but I don't think I need this much help, fantastic looking offering though. Curious to see how Canadan does with this one as he can spin the crap out of most everything I've seen.

Yes sir.

This kind of confirms what I suspected. The 816 DBD isn't for me.

Fortunately Callaway makes plenty of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some great info packed into a post Dan. This will be fun to hit.

This has me super excited to try out!

last years model was pretty penal for me on my misses, but was long on good hits. ball striking has been better lately. I like the looks of this and the adjustability with the core in heel and toe, up or down is great. Might be out of my league but it will get a chace.

I was a bit intimidated by last years model. Not sure if it's a good fit for me or not at this point.

This one probably won't be for me, but man is it mean looking.

This is the best looking Bertha they've released so far IMO very good looking driver.

I love low spin heads but I don't think I need this much help, fantastic looking offering though. Curious to see how Canadan does with this one as he can spin the crap out of most everything I've seen.

Yep, basically this. I'm excited to see how it performs, especially with the '15 DBD and '14 Alpha right here to draw comparisons.

To say I'm excited about the presentation of this driver is a major understatement.

Not sure if this driver would be for me, but I like the look and might have to swing this a few times when I have the opportunity.

Really cool offering by callaway, but as a player who needs more spin, definitely not the driver for me.

Looking forward to reading Canadans thoughts though.

This is one of the first Callaway offerings I have been interested in for a long time. The look of the club is awesome and the tech sounds really interesting. Will look forward to giving this a try

This looks beautiful, but it scares me. Hahaha

Back