Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

It's a very pretty driver, but I don't think I have the swing for it.

~Rock

It's a very pretty driver, but I don't think I have the swing for it.

~Rock

You would be surprised. I've heard a lot of people say that and end up with it in the bag after a fitting

You would be surprised. I've heard a lot of people say that and end up with it in the bag after a fitting

Im taking it to the course tomorrow to test with the GBB.

Im taking it to the course tomorrow to test with the GBB.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Historically you haven't been a huge fan of low spin drivers and I know how well you hit the GBB but it wouldn't surprise me if you found a setting you loved with the DBD

I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Historically you haven't been a huge fan of low spin drivers and I know how well you hit the GBB but it wouldn't surprise me if you found a setting you loved with the DBD

My thoughts on low spin drivers are actually the opposite. I love how the industry has been able to drop spin in metal woods over the last 5 years. The problem has always been what happens when you miss low and high on the face. Meaning when you miss low, ball speed goes up, launch goes way down and spin goes up and when you miss high, ball speed goes down, spin goes down and launch goes up. When those are met with a very low spin head, the ball can do funny things, but only in comparison to how amazing these R&D guys have been able to go low spin and still have forgiveness. I view the low spin driver a lot like I used to view 8.5* drivers. There is no doubt a place for them, but they will no doubt be harder consistently on the golfer.

With that said, I know very well with customization of this particular head, one can maximize it to be pretty darn forgiving compared to some of the other low spin models out there.

You've got that right. I was shocked this one ended up in my bag. With the proper fitting to tune for your miss & the GC opens up the forgiveness.

Blu, let's bring our conversation to this thread because 140 characters is tough lol

During my fitting, I started with the GBB but the spin was a killer. Close to 4000. So when we switched to the DBD we started with the 10.5 because I was gaming a 10* driver and we figured we could go up or down from there. But even at 10.5* -1* spin was still around 3000. Now that's not necessarily high spin, but we knew we could do better to get more carry distance. When we switched to the 9* head spin was down to 2700 but launch was up still so we took it down to 8* and this was my final result.
bd437c7885908de680f45977cb30f2e6.jpg

I actually got the ball speed up to 166 on the next swing and carry was at 275 and still kept spin at 2500. For me at least, there was a pretty big difference between the two heads

This thing was pretty darn stellar on the range today. Compared to my GBB both with the same shaft I saw 675 RPMs of less spin and 1.8 degrees of lower launch. Peak height was a little low for my liking at about 79 feet, where as the GBB was 96 feet. I think if I can get it dialed in it could be lethal, but the flip side of that is I am absolutely murdering my GBB right now for me, and changing to anything else might just not be for me.

With that said, I took a few swings with the XR Pro today and just about quit golf. Spin was in between GBB and DBD, ball speed was up high on the face (I hang out there sometimes) and it screams "I came to play".

All of the heads were tested with the same shaft the Custom THP Project X HandCrafted.

I don't know if you hit enough balls to really say definitively - but what kind of drop off did you see in distance on mishits compared to the GBB? The GBB is just so good in that regard.

I don't know if you hit enough balls to really say definitively - but what kind of drop off did you see in distance on mishits compared to the GBB? The GBB is just so good in that regard.

Its really hard to say from today. There will be a drop off, but I can say I did not see one high on the face. It actually performed better there (marginally). Laterally and low is where it will be different, and I am hoping in the next couple of weeks I can determine that.

Games the DBB today 9 holes with the diamana I was fit for and 9 holes with the OBAN hashimoto. My driver swing is coming back and I really like this club. It's long and straight. Adjustable. Love the clean top line

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Had kind of a crappy day with the DBD today. Hit a couple solid drives today, one really getting out there, but I couldn't control it to save my life. The tee box is really the only thing stopping me from scoring better and I have good success hitting my 3 wood off the tee, but I'm not the type to accept defeat by the driver and move on from it. I love hitting driver too much so I will work on it this week. Right now my swing is hot garbage and it's just gonna take reps to get back to using the DBD as a weapon

The first 10 or so swings today at the range with the driver were crappy still. I took a quick video to see if i could see anything stick out and right away i noticed my stance got real wide. Wide to the point that my body was moving so much at impact just trying to get through the ball. Narrowed the stance a little bit and it was like turning the switch on. I saw ball flight that i hadnt seen since my fitting and it was so refreshing. Ill probably get to the range one more time this week to keep working on it, but right now i ended on a really good high note.

Hello DBD...So I now know that you will go slightly to the right and really really far! I need to trust this and start aiming down the left side!

Hello DBD...So I now know that you will go slightly to the right and really really far! I need to trust this and start aiming down the left side!

You playing a little controlled cut with that thing, that could get scary :surrender:

5111c71c30bd961f2edba41b25c9c93e.jpg

Go on........

Haha. Not much to go on about yet. Havent hit any more balls with it. I like what I see, but I love my GBB and not sure anything can pull that out of my bag.

Haha. Not much to go on about yet. Havent hit any more balls with it. I like what I see, but I love my GBB and not sure anything can pull that out of my bag.

Yeah, when you know what a miss does to you with one of the real low spin beasts the consistency of the GBB is hard to stray from I am sure. I am still in love with my 815 DBD and am hitting it better than ever currently.

I messed with the gravity core the other day. Just flipped it from high to low in the toe. I could tell the difference but went back to high toe because results = better score!

Also this club is just so easy to look at. Matte black and no alignment marker. No distractions and just plain sexy. With the Oban hashimoto shaft I don't think you will see a better murdered out setup that is easy to look at.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I put my core down in the heel. I hit it well yesterday. Felt really powerful. Ball flight was a strong mid flight. I like it.

I put my core down in the heel. I hit it well yesterday. Felt really powerful. Ball flight was a strong mid flight. I like it.

I've got mine core up on the heel side. Same as you I see that mid ball flight I like to see and the Hashimoto feels smooth throughout the swing.

I still can't believe I was fit into this driver, but glad I did bc I'm hitting my drives longer and straighter than ever.

I've got mine core up on the heel side. Same as you I see that mid ball flight I like to see and the Hashimoto feels smooth throughout the swing.

I still can't believe I was fit into this driver, but glad I did bc I'm hitting my drives longer and straighter than ever.
Oddly, the Kuro Kage TiNi I have in mine feels great.

Oddly, the Kuro Kage TiNi I have in mine feels great.

That's the shaft I was fit to, but hitting it on the range at the Hideaway the ball flight was higher than I wanted to see. Could be a lot of things, but swapping in the Hashimoto brought the flight down and still maintained my carry distance

Back