Adam Scott Says No To Olympics

Every single person I've known personally who's gone to Rio was mugged there. And a number of them were aware of the issue - brought "dummy" wallets with a few bucks in them, no camera, etc. It's crazy.

We spent two days there and fortunately the only thing that happened to us was I had my Adidas soccer sandals stolen on the beach. We did see someone almost get their camera stolen on the each when they weren't paying attention but the guy looking noticed my bil watching him.

we didn't trust the van drivers that took us up to a couple places around Christ the a redeemer statue so my bil and Iwould constantly swap who was holding the cash we brought.

I certainly had him and Day as one of the top teams, I hate he is not playing.

Locally it isn't going down well. Declining to represent your country has upset more than a few here but I can understand the golfing calendar is it's own entity and unlike other sports world golf is not geared toward crowning a champion once every 4 years as its pinnacle.

Well he is not the only one now. Oosthuizen out

I think the Olympics are for amateurs period

I think the Olympics are for amateurs period
I agree with you, but "amateur" wasn't the same from Country to Country. It was frustrating knowing our amateurs were actually playing pros from other countries.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'd say the undertones are quite alike the others.

“Go play four rounds really competitively and try to win a gold medal,” McIlroy said. “Maybe I might look back in 20 years and a gold might be one of my crowning achievements in the game.”

That, to me, says it's not a crowning achievement currently.

Personally, I would think any athlete would welcome the opportunity to stand on the podium to see their flag raised and hear their National Anthem played. Just to participate with other world athletes in the opening and closing ceremonies is a life time experience. That said, while I would disagree with them, I can see where professional golfers may view the Olympics differently. Is the Olympic golf genuinely a team event or an event where the participants come from various countries. Does the selection process diminish the team aspect. Why should one country be allowed 3 of 4 players just because of the individual standings, does that not make it somewhat of an individual effort where the represented country has no voice in who will represent them. The Olympics is not like the Ryder Cup where there actually is a Team USA that lives and dies as a team against the Europeans.

Unlike most other Olympic sports, professional golf is a continuous world event. The PGA and especially the LPGA are world events where representative of many nations participate at each event. Because of national pride, many Americans want to see Americans prevail just about each and every event. In the golf world, (underscore in the golf world) in the case of Adam Scott, what would most Australians remember years from now--that he won at the Olympics or if he were to be the first Australian to win the Masters.

I lost some respect for him to be honest.

Can I ask why?

These Olympics have been very poorly prepared for. Some facilities aren't even built yet and the games are this year. Some facilities have even collapsed......on top of that there is an out break on Zika Virus in Brazil and he has a very young child. I think much like other sports like the NBA for example Olympic medals are not what tour players care about. Major wins is what defines a career.

I think one can be disappointed that Scott among many other are pulling out but i'm not sure he should be losing respect for it.....

Each to their own though.

I'd say the undertones are quite alike the others.

That, to me, says it's not a crowning achievement currently.

Of course it isn't. Majors are the pinnacle.

Ask any NBA or Soccer player what they want. A Gold Medal or an NBA Ring/World Cup Win. Guarantee you 99% will not choose the Olympics.

It simply just doesn't appeal to some players in certain sports where their is a higher level of achievement.

Not saying they cannot do both of course but I think its a typical mindset.

Why does it have to be the pinnacle of something to play for your country. The Aussie Masters is not the pinnacle of anything and he has no problem playing in that. Is the Honda the Pinnacle? Why did he play in that?

id say he plays them because he's getting paid an ass load to show up. I don't think he would be getting that sort of cash to go to the olympics unless sponsors are chipping in. No way the Aus government would be putting in that much or there would be an uproar among everyone else.

anyways just my 2 cents on why I don't think he would be interested in going.

id say he plays them because he's getting paid an ass load to show up. I don't think he would be getting that sort of cash to go to the olympics unless sponsors are chipping in. No way the Aus government would be putting in that much or there would be an uproar among everyone else.

anyways just my 2 cents on why I don't think he would be interested in going.

You would be surprised what an Olympic Gold Medalist can take home.
But if that is the case, lets not pretend its about pinnacles, goals, etc. Its about dollars.

But if that is the case, lets not pretend its about pinnacles, goals, etc. Its about dollars.

Agreed, as I said previously, participating in the olympics should be the ultimate honor for anyone selected, and regardless of country I will be critical of someone for skipping it. It is a chance to be part of history and represent the country you call home.

ummmm

I was responding to someone who was talking about why Rory Mcilroy was referring to future tense about the Olympics being a possible crowning achievement in 20 years when he looks back on his career, in which the poster thought that meant that Rory didn't currently think it was a crowning achievement. I was just saying that that's probably because Majors are the pinnacle of a Tour Players Career, not gold medals..... Wasn't even talking about Adam Scott?

So anybody else ready to write off this olympics? Man I think London did a great job 4 years ago. As the zika virus fear intensifies this really could turn into a bust.

I think there's a solid solution. Make the entirety of the IOC camp out near one of the water sport locations. Next time around maybe there will be a better group of people on the committee, and they can pick locations that are actually capable of handling the events without going bankrupt.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Wonder what
Adam Scott is
Dealing with
At the moment

Just curious.

They have a lot of stuff going on in brazil, that I think is a shame that it is taking away the spotlight from the athletes. If an athlete doesn't want to compete it's on them

So anybody else ready to write off this olympics? Man I think London did a great job 4 years ago. As the zika virus fear intensifies this really could turn into a bust.
Train wrecks are just as fun to watch as things run perfectly.

I think there's a solid solution. Make the entirety of the IOC camp out near one of the water sport locations. Next time around maybe there will be a better group of people on the committee, and they can pick locations that are actually capable of handling the events without going bankrupt.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket
Pretty sure a month or 2 Mike from Mike and Mike offered to pay for anyone from the committee and their families an all expense paid trip if they were willing to swim where the rowing events are going to take place. I assume no one took him up on that.

Back