Would you play for money against a "kid"?

TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
Now that the golf season is underway, I've begun to get accustomed to something I kind of forgot about during the snowy offseason. I belong to a small, relatively inexpensive country club, and naturally there are often money matches, mostly between the better golfers and the shop pros. I often played with them last year, and while my game is right up there with them, they were often tentative or did not involve me in their money matches due to my age. Obviously I don't really care, as I'm not much of a gambler, but I always found it interesting that they did not want to either give or receive money to/from me because I'm a teenager. Just curious who out here would or would not play in a money match against a "kid" even if your skill levels were pretty evenly matched.

If you have the money, I'll gladly take it off your hands. ?

hmm, being relatively young myself I can't really remember playing money matches with other golfers. If its my friends we might have some money on the line but since none of them golf regularly or are just starting the get a lot of shots from me to make it fair. I do have a reoccurring "bet" with an old family friend who got me into the game but we never have it payout as its just for fun, if we did I think I would owe him a lot, personal goal is to beat him once this year. But my guess is they don't include you because they see you as young and maybe they want you to save up your cash

I wouldn't play for money against a teenager who I didn't know well, and know his parents at all. In today's protective society I wouldn't put it past some parent to show up demanding I give their kid their money back.

I would not even think about it if the "kid" was under 18 if they are 18 or older then sure. If they are under 18 you run the risk of some pissed off parents not just the kid. Lots of red tape betting with a minor (may even be illegal I'm not sure).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not me...I would feel awful when I had to pay some kid cause he whipped me.

When I was a kid, I'd go to the basketball court where adults would be playing pick up games and they'd let me play with them just like everyone else. No special treatment and if I got knocked, screened or blocked, so be it, but it definitely helped me get better at the game by figuring out how best to contribute.

I'd imagine any teenager that wanted to play a money game is probably better than me anyways, as long as the stakes were low, I'd play against them just as I would anyone else.

perhaps the age difference between you and them is too far apart and they may sort of also have a closer and more personal relationship among each other that they don't quite have with you. Not that its a bad thing but just think of it perhaps like parents as a group while you are in a sense still a kid. There is imo a respect and a courtesy from both sides that does sort of separate you even if they like you and treat you well. And perhaps even if you were their age, they still may have a more personal relationship with each other and are not really seeking another party to join in on their wagering.

I give enough money away to my own kids, much less a kid that would kick my *** all over the golf course. :act-up:

I am not a gambler, but I would have a hard time with the Idea of taking money away from a kid. even if he would probably beat me 9 and 8

I would play snips, but I wouldn't do big bets on a round. Even with guys from work I am hesitant to play $10 matches (want to see how ballsy guys in your group are, when they ask what you want to bet on a hole, throw out a ridiculously high number LOL).

You never know how someone might take it the wrong way when losing some money. They may never want to play with you again.

I wouldn't for anyone under 18.

If you have the money, I'll gladly take it off your hands. 
Ditto, if anyone wants to play, even for say a $.25 a hole, I'm in, it adds some fun when something is on the line, nothing major, even just a drink at the turn and at the 19th!

Nope, I am not a gambler anyway so don't play for money, but I would not play for money against a 'kid' regardless of the sport

The most I would consider against friends would be to have the loser buy the first drink after a round

I've been invited to play for money against one of the high school boys here who is pretty cocky but have so far declined. Doesn't feel right when they are under 18 and living at home. With a win I'd be taking his parents money since he doesn't have a job. in my teens and 20's I used to love gambling on the golf course when most of my rounds were with players of the same ability and no strokes were given, but the last 20 years most of my round are with buddies or neighbors who are bogey golfers and I really don't play often for money or have a desire to.

If it was a friends kid I'd or someone I knew well kid then let's play not for much but I'd have no problem with it. I would probably track what was exchanged and give it back at the end of the season.

If I didn't know the parents well then I'm not doing it too many possible bad outcomes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not.

Really depends on how well I knew the teen and his/her parents. Obviously if their dad or mom is in the group they'd have final decision on whether the teen could get in on the money game. If I didn't know the teen very well, I'd simply say play for a drink after the round and most likely just buy the drinks whether I won or lost.

I wouldn't bet with a teenager. Too risky these days.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don't think I could bring myself to have a money game with a kid - too much risk.

I have always felt awkward playing in money games with a majority of the club (it's gotten better as I've gotten older). Almost as much as I struggled to play big money games against guys twice my age while handing them a bunch of strokes... I couldn't figure out what good it did to give someone money despite playing better than them. Seemed backwards to me, especially when their incomes are numerous times mine.

Anymore, I'll just try to make it a beer (or appetizer)... Something that isn't really money changing hands especially if the age is quite different. I guess I'm not at the point where I am playing teenagers regularly to say whether I'd be willing to gamble against them. Probably not, though.

There's always something on the line with the groups I play with; team, goodies, and optional individual bets, and we always play with handicaps. The money at stake is really insignificant. I think it is unusual to include kids in wagers as most young players don't have a real concept of discretionary income. Regardless, like others have said, none of us would ever wager the game with someone under 18.

The kids I know would take my money easily so not a chance LOL

I would not play for money with a guy or girl under the age of 18 as having to pay them for the button whooping would be tough to swallow lol

We generally play that everyone must be university age to play for money in our group. Not sure where the rule started, just always been the case.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back