Average drives and iron hits to break 100 90 80

Gus brought up what I also think tends to happen. I bet I average less than 150 yards per round because of all my mishits. If I went on my potential it would be much higher haha.

Im a higher handicap and my iron distances are (approx) as follows:

SW: 95-100
GW: 105- 110
pw: 125 - 130
9i: 135 - 140
8i: 145 - 150
7i: 155- 160
6i: 165-170
5i: 175 - 180
4i: 185-190

If I just played to those distances instead of trying to crush one from time to time, my scores would be lower. You don't have to have huge shots to score low. It can help but its not a requirement. Unless you're really short with your clubs but even then, not always the case.

I try not to let what people say they hit get in my head anymore.

I also hit a very high ball, as people who played Friday/Saturday can attest too- I feel like I loose distance there. Like Yoccos mentioned my 7i CAN go 165+ but I choose to not hit it that hard. I try to keep a nice, even tempo on my irons.

I also hit a very high ball, as people who played Friday/Saturday can attest too- I feel like I loose distance there. Like Yoccos mentioned my 7i CAN go 165+ but I choose to not hit it that hard. I try to keep a nice, even tempo on my irons.

270 off the tee is not good distance?

I want to add that I am in no way disputing any stats or calling anybody dishonest, I merely dont understand the stats based on what I have watched both at our demo days, outings, and more. It makes no difference for me how far someone hits it. Heck, I play with biggsy and they could build a Walmart between where his ball lands and where mine lands. But I am just not sure I get it is all. Club head speed brings ball speed and that is how far the ball goes. I guess people could swing out of their shoes and get things out there, we all could, but where does that leave accuracy. I know people hit it farther than I do, I am a relatively short hitter. But when their iron and hybrids and even fairway woods are the exact same distance as mine and others and then their driver distance is 40 yards past, it seems crazy. I want to know what I am missing and how I can fix it I guess. I want to hit it far like all the THP'ers.

i'm also somewhat surprised at some of the distances that some of you are claiming to have off the tee. my 4 iron is my 205-215 yd club, and with GPS measuring, i avg. 257 off the tee with a driver. i'm not calling anyone a liar, but i think that it's pretty natural to think that we hit it further than we actually do off the tee, especially when using scorecards, and score card yardage, as a reference.

270 off the tee is not good distance?

I was referring to my irons- as a reason my iron distances are lower than I would expect.

No- I am always very happy when I get a ball 270. VERY happy. As I said, my average would be 240-250 ish which is in line with you JB (if I am remembering right). Bridgestone ball fittings with my pre-lesson swing had me carry 248-253. They listed my "perfect" distance at 280.

Edit: I just felt that the comments were in my direction since I seem to have the biggest gap between driver/irons. TC should be able to attest to the 260 carries off the LM at PGA.

I was referring to my irons- as a reason my iron distances are lower than I would expect.

No- I am always very happy when I get a ball 270. VERY happy. As I said, my average would be 240-250 ish which is in line with you JB (if I am remembering right). Bridgestone ball fittings with my pre-lesson swing had me carry 248-253. They listed my "perfect" distance at 280.

Edit: I just felt that the comments were in my direction since I seem to have the biggest gap between driver/irons. TC should be able to attest to the 260 carries off the LM at PGA.

yeah, you were definitely in the 260 range according to the vector.

i'm also somewhat surprised at some of the distances that some of you are claiming to have off the tee. my 4 iron is my 205-215 yd club, and with GPS measuring, i avg. 257 off the tee with a driver. i'm not calling anyone a liar, but i think that it's pretty natural to think that we hit it further than we actually do off the tee, especially when using scorecards, and score card yardage, as a reference.

You mean driving with your back to the wind on a fairway that slopes downhill doesn't perfectly define driving distance?! I can't believe it!!!! Wait, next thing you're going to tell is that when I drive the ball through the dogleg of my courses par five it's not an accurate judge of distance.... COME ON!!!! lol

So you're only 40 yards different between best 4i and driver? To me, that's a pretty darn big 4 iron, but you'd think the 14+ degrees of difference between the two would get you a bit further than that...

Could ball striking with irons also play a part in it? Ex: Someone averages 260 off the tee but their 150 yard club is the 7i. I'm just thinking as I get better with my irons the gaps between irons and woods should close. Well at least Im hoping!

You mean driving with your back to the wind on a fairway that slopes downhill doesn't perfectly define driving distance?! I can't believe it!!!! Wait, next thing you're going to tell is that when I drive the ball through the dogleg of my courses par five it's not an accurate judge of distance.... COME ON!!!! lol

So you're only 40 yards different between best 4i and driver? To me, that's a pretty darn big 4 iron, but you'd think the 14+ degrees of difference between the two would get you a bit further than that...

How much distance difference do you see between your 5 iron and 7 iron? 40 yards?

I guess my point in all of this rambling is that unless people are swinging out of their shoes, the SS just does not translate for those kind of numbers for many. Im not accusing anybody of lying, nor does it matter to me, but in the end, I wonder how these people hitting it 270, 290, etc do it, and also are they still in play when they do? I mean I think of myself as a decent golfer. Not incredibly long, but average I suppose. I hit a lot of fairways as well. Yet being 20-40 yards short than most in this thread it seems, has me second guessing my game. It must be something because my irons and hybrids are all the same distances than them.

Out of curiosity, what's your swing speed JB? I realized a couple months ago on here that talking about driver distance is rarely a safe thing. Hell, I try to post my GHIN card on my profile as it's updated so people aren't looking at my numbers and questioning my honesty.

I generally play with a bunch of 40+ guys at my course, and I am consistently 30-50 yards beyond them off the tee. If I really pop one and actually manage to get a bit of roll, I can be upwards of 75 yards beyond them. We had the Adams rep out at the course demo'ing the 9064 series, and I was carrying about 275-290. I guess I am not really sure where the line is drawn with stuff like that. My SS is measured in the mid teens, so shouldn't my driver distance be somewhere in that realm?

In any case, I get to have Gus verify that at minimum I know how to swing a club haha! I can't wait for my first outing experience to see how everyone measures up! I wish i could have seen my fellow Canadian RB swing. That must have been pretty fun to watch.

How much distance difference do you see between your 5 iron and 7 iron? 40 yards?

It must just be another one of those comfort things haha... Once you make that comparison I definitely see the difference. For me, I see a big difference between my 4 iron at 24* and my hybrid at 21* depending on how I strike the ball. That being said, I also go a lot further back in my swing with a wood/driver than I do with an iron, not to mention the 10-20mph variation in swing speed.

Are you quite similar with your swing between driver and 4 iron?

well, the difference between my driver and my 4i is actually 12.5*, which is roughly the same degree gap between my pw and my 7i, and i can promise you that there's almost a perfect 40 yard gap between the two. so it really does kind of fit the bill for me.

Out of curiosity, what's your swing speed JB? I realized a couple months ago on here that talking about driver distance is rarely a safe thing. Hell, I try to post my GHIN card on my profile as it's updated so people aren't looking at my numbers and questioning my honesty.

I generally play with a bunch of 40+ guys at my course, and I am consistently 30-50 yards beyond them off the tee. If I really pop one and actually manage to get a bit of roll, I can be upwards of 75 yards beyond them. We had the Adams rep out at the course demo'ing the 9064 series, and I was carrying about 275-290. I guess I am not really sure where the line is drawn with stuff like that. My SS is measured in the mid teens, so shouldn't my driver distance be somewhere in that realm? As for people's distances, a lot of factors play into it. Where they play is obviously a major role.

In any case, I get to have Gus verify that at minimum I know how to swing a club haha! I can't wait for my first outing experience to see how everyone measures up! I wish i could have seen my fellow Canadian RB swing. That must have been pretty fun to watch.

Like I said, I dont doubt anybody's numbers. Because in reality, it does not matter. What I meant was that I believe people are either REALLY going after their driver to get those numbers, or something else is off. Because like I said, SS creates ball speed, creates distance. Proper launch conditions certainly mean more, but when we are seeing people question the distances on the launch monitor at the outing because they know they hit it further, it makes you wonder. My SS during play is around 105. I get ramped up to about 110 if I want to.

I am sure you can play, and at THP you will not find too many argue with statements about distance compared to other sites. At least not most people. If my questions came off as arguing, I apologize, because they were not meant that way. Just questions that is all.

It must just be another one of those comfort things haha... Once you make that comparison I definitely see the difference. For me, I see a big difference between my 4 iron at 24* and my hybrid at 21* depending on how I strike the ball. That being said, I also go a lot further back in my swing with a wood/driver than I do with an iron, not to mention the 10-20mph variation in swing speed.

Are you quite similar with your swing between driver and 4 iron?

My swing is the same no matter what I have in my hands tempo wise.

well, the difference between my driver and my 4i is actually 12.5*, which is roughly the same degree gap between my pw and my 7i, and i can promise you that there's almost a perfect 40 yard gap between the two. so it really does kind of fit the bill for me.

I guess here's where I miss that comparison.. I did the Mizuno shaft optimizer, and it had me swinging consistently around 93-95mph. I also did the driver fitting, which had me basically averaging around 114 or so. So for me at least, there is a 20mph difference between my driver and my irons, which I would suspect is a leading reason why personally my numbers are so different.

Are you pretty similar between your irons to your driver in terms of swing speed? I'm just trying to relate it, because I've really only got myself to compare it to.

I guess here's where I miss that comparison.. I did the Mizuno shaft optimizer, and it had me swinging consistently around 93-95mph. I also did the driver fitting, which had me basically averaging around 114 or so. So for me at least, there is a 20mph difference between my driver and my irons, which I would suspect is a leading reason why personally my numbers are so different.

Are you pretty similar between your irons to your driver in terms of swing speed? I'm just trying to relate it, because I've really only got myself to compare it to.

yeah, this is a great point dan, b/c whereas i avg around 104-106 with a driver, i avg around 89-91 with my 6 iron. i do take the approach of swinging smoother and easier with a driver to ensure better contact, whereas i do tend to get after it a little more with my irons.

If my questions came off as arguing, I apologize, because they were not meant that way. Just questions that is all.
Certainly not. You seemed genuinely interested, so I of course tried to go all out in my response haha. Absolutely no need for any apology.

My swing is the same no matter what I have in my hands tempo wise.

That is actually something I envy. One of my playing partners is about a 14 handicap, but has awesome tempo off the tee and is almost ALWAYS dead straight, because I think he really lays off the club and goes for consistency. Me personally, when I do that, I hook the ever living hell out of the ball, because I get way too much action in my upper body... I love the comparison people make about writing their signature out. Done quickly, it looks perfect. Done slow and patiently, it looks a bit ridiculous. I'd say that is absolutely the best comparison to me swinging at 95% and 85%.

If I could tune it down and amp up my consistency, I most likely would. It might do my back a favour or two haha!

That is a very good point, but length of club and weight of club play just as much a role as loft. Or close to it anyway. What I meant with my questions were why so many golfers on here were hitting their irons the same distance I do, yet their drives were going up to 40 yards further than mine do? Yours relates fine, your SS is about 10 mph faster than mine with a driver. But others have posted similar numbers as mine in other threads and I am just confused.

yeah, this is a great point dan, b/c whereas i avg around 104-106 with a driver, i avg around 89-91 with my 6 iron. i do take the approach of swinging smoother and easier with a driver to ensure better contact, whereas i do tend to get after it a little more with my irons.

lol - I am the complete opposite. I go after the driver and go for consistent smooth swings with the irons. To me Driver is meant to be hit hard, and irons are meant to be hit consistent distances!

lol - I am the complete opposite. I go after the driver and go for consistent smooth swings with the irons. To me Driver is meant to be hit hard, and irons are meant to be hit consistent distances!

I second this, but mostly because my home course has some pretty wide fairways haha! I use my 3 wood and hybrid off of the couple of holes that are shorter and have a narrow fairway.

That is a very good point, but length of club and weight of club play just as much a role as loft. Or close to it anyway. What I meant with my questions were why so many golfers on here were hitting their irons the same distance I do, yet their drives were going up to 40 yards further than mine do? Yours relates fine, your SS is about 10 mph faster than mine with a driver. But others have posted similar numbers as mine in other threads and I am just confused.

What are your playing distances on your driver JB?
I guess my SS is pretty close to yours- I play around 108-110 depending on the day.

Candan: Looking forward to swinging some with you tomorrow! Fair warning- I haven't played very well since (or during) the outing!

It depends on where I am playing. Up north or the midwest (not on Bermuda) 250, maybe 260. On Bermuda 10-15 yards shorter. I measure my drives with GPS and of course use the VectorX every week in testing.

It depends on where I am playing. Up north or the midwest (not on Bermuda) 250, maybe 260. On Bermuda 10-15 yards shorter. I measure my drives with GPS and of course use the VectorX every week in testing.

The bermuda/non-bermuda is a really good observation that I hadn't considered. I always play on either crappy "yard" grass (read:clover!) or the nice courses are all bent grass. I never realized how different bermuda grass was until I played on it for the first time at the outing.

In FL at many courses there is NO roll. None. So I base distances with a driver as carry distances. I thought on the range you and I were similar distances, but again, its hard to tell. You know your distances more than I do obviously.

In FL at many courses there is NO roll. None. So I base distances with a driver as carry distances. I thought on the range you and I were similar distances, but again, its hard to tell. You know your distances more than I do obviously.

After this conversation (and in light of adding 10+ yards of roll to my carry numbers) I would say you are right JB. I have a hair higher ss but I never seem to get good ball speed from it so it's probably a wash. Some drivers I got up to SS of 113+ but actually lost distance despite OK launch angles and spin.

That range was tough to tell anything regarding distance- between the wind and no marked flags/targets everything was a guess.

If I have to give up roll to play PGA (or anywhere nice in florida)... I would make that trade any day of the week!

Back