Is it wrong that I'm scared to demo equipment?

kimcicle

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know if it's just me, but I never like to demo equipment at the big chain stores (Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith, etc). I'm worried I'll be leaving behind some imperfections on the clubs that would prevent the sale of the clubs to somebody else. I had no issue with the demos during my club fitting because I knew that they've been hit before and would be hit a million times after me. I just become very hesitant when it comes to pulling down an iron off the wall and taking it to their hitting area.

Am I just being way too paranoid?

At the local Dick's they let me demo the floor sets. They also sell them at a discounted price. Ask, and if they give you the go-ahead, demo away.

That is what is great about THP Demo Days. You can bash away with no issues.

They usually tape up the heads enough that you won't leave a mark with an errant swing or 2. They know the easiest way to get you to buy something is to let you swing what you want.

I really wouldn't put that much thought into it. If you consider how many people have used that club before you, and how many will use it after you, there should be no concern..

(As long as you don't let go of it and launch it into the wall - hahahaha!)

I think if they let you, you shouldnt worry, its the business model they want to use, and they seem to feel comfortable with it. You should enjoy the fact that you can demo and get a good feeling for the clubs before buying them....

+1 no fear, just swing away
They usually tape up the heads enough that you won't leave a mark with an errant swing or 2. They know the easiest way to get you to buy something is to let you swing what you want.

I don't know if it's just me, but I never like to demo equipment at the big chain stores (Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith, etc). I'm worried I'll be leaving behind some imperfections on the clubs that would prevent the sale of the clubs to somebody else. I had no issue with the demos during my club fitting because I knew that they've been hit before and would be hit a million times after me. I just become very hesitant when it comes to pulling down an iron off the wall and taking it to their hitting area.

Am I just being way too paranoid?

You have my curiousity.What kind of Damaging marks can be made to an iron indoors?

Most stores have demo drivers that always take a beating so don't worry about them. You should be able to demo any club on the floor as long as they tape it up for you. If they do a good job of taping it, it can't mess it up. If they don't tape it right and you make a sky mark, then it's their fault, not yours. I say swing away.

You have my curiousity.What kind of Damaging marks can be made to an iron indoors?

We have seen a ton of scratches on the toes and heels of irons from hitting indoors. Heck some of the irons we see now show wear with every shot.

We have seen a ton of scratches on the toes and heels of irons from hitting indoors. Heck some of the irons we see now show wear with every shot.

I understand those will be made due to the mat and those will be gone and replace with new ones first time hit on grass. Maybe I read too much into OP's post?

I understand those will be made due to the mat and those will be gone and replace with new ones first time hit on grass. Maybe I read too much into OP's post?

Yep, that's pretty much what I meant. Just the fine scratches on the toe / heel from hitting it on the mats.

I've had no issues with asking to demo a club and having somebody tape one up for me before I did a few test swings. Last time I was out, however, there were people that were grabbing drivers / irons off the shelf, walking right to the test area, giving them a few hits, then walking back.

I guess you can just take your own masking tape in with ya so you don't have to bother them. :wink:

Hi everyone. New poster.

I guess I'm with you a little on this. But I also used to work in the golf shop at a local Dick's store so I saw how much clubs get beat on. Especially drivers and putters.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have never seen a place like you describe. Every place I have been to either has a rack of demo clubs you can grab or if you use a brand new club, they tape it up.

Back