Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna throw an new(old) design idea at Kari...with a twist.....mmmmmmmmm

Looking at taking my Adams 3 hybrid out of the bag and adding a Callaway FT-IZ 5 wood. Will have to hit it a few more times before I decide whether or not to put it on my Christmas list this year.

Patiently waiting on the mashie. Im thinking of dropping my 3w and going with a 15* and 23*.

Really looking forward to at some point hitting the DXi versus the new series of Cleveland drivers.

I'm also really hoping the orange E6's come out sooner than later.

I'm intrigued by this idea....
Patiently waiting on the mashie. Im thinking of dropping my 3w and going with a 15* and 23*.

Really looking forward to at some point hitting the DXi versus the new series of Cleveland drivers.

I'm also really hoping the orange E6's come out sooner than later.

I am as well. Really, my fairway wood is an unused spot in my bag. I would love to have a club that was reliable for longer distances than my 19.5°

keep in mind that the mashie is 15.5*, 18.5*, 20.5*, and 22.5* fellas. i know it's just 1/2* but who knows.

keep in mind that the mashie is 15.5*, 18.5*, 20.5*, and 22.5* fellas. i know it's just 1/2" but who knows.

FIFY.

That's.

What.

She.

Said.

keep in mind that the mashie is 15.5*, 18.5*, 20.5*, and 22.5* fellas. i know it's just 1/2* but who knows.

I suspect that the 15.5 wouldn't be as long as a 3W, but my hope is that it would be more reliable off the turf.

I suspect that the 15.5 wouldn't be as long as a 3W, but my hope is that it would be more reliable off the turf.

no doubt it would be more reliable hawk. hopefully you get to find out dude.

@ spank, good one!

I'm considering this move big time. I can hit my 3w pretty well but when I miss it, its not fun. Hybrids I tend to hit better more consistantly. Figure even if I lose a couple yards the Mashie is just that awesome it wont matter.

I do love my 3w though. I just have to look at the big picture.

I think my issue with the 3W is that I swing for the fences too often and fail miserably. I went through a stretch this summer when it was really good for me and I was swinging pretty smooth.

for those of you pondering a switch from a 3w to a hybrid, i want to pose a question:

why/when do you find yourself in a position where you really need to take 3w off the deck?

I think it's more about confidence with the club, Hawk. Some folks are alright hitting 3W off the deck and some just can't. What's good is that there will be another alternative out there for folks that keep saying 'I can't hit 3w off the deck for the life of me' but when it comes to hybrid they're alright.

Hey TC, how do you think the Burner 2.0's would mesh with the mashie as far as distances are concerned? I've changed my wedge setup to accommodate the 2.0's and I'm thinking I might have to go to a stronger loft than what I have now to close the gap since the 2.0's are stronger.

I never do. that's what my 5w is for
for those of you pondering a switch from a 3w to a hybrid, i want to pose a question:

why/when do you find yourself in a position where you really need to take 3w off the deck?

I think it's more about confidence with the club, Hawk. Some folks are alright hitting 3W off the deck and some just can't. What's good is that there will be another alternative out there for folks that keep saying 'I can't hit 3w off the deck for the life of me' but when it comes to hybrid they're alright.

Hey TC, how do you think the Burner 2.0's would mesh with the mashie as far as distances are concerned? I've changed my wedge setup to accommodate the 2.0's and I'm thinking I might have to go to a stronger loft than what I have now to close the gap since the 2.0's are stronger.

so you have 2.0's now? awesome!

i honestly don't think i'll replace any 2.0 with any hybrid spank. i, for one, have never hit this amazing mashie so i don't know that i'm giving it a fair shot either. i hear, and have seen, nothing but good with it, so i just don't know. i can go from my 3w to my 2.0 3iron without any noticeable gap in the bag.

I'm going to hop in and also ask the reverse... do you think you'll lose distance off the tee by going hybrid than 3w? Reason is in another thread I think the majority of folks on there answered that they primarily use 3w to tee off more than off the deck.

That's a good question. I've heard people say that no high-ish handicapper should even consider it. An example for me would be a mishit drive (not into a bush) that leaves me really far out on a par 4. Normally, I pull out the 4h and try to get as close as possible since I'm confident in the club and generally am comfortable inside 100 yards. However, if I could find something that was easy to hit that could get me within 10-15 yards I would use it.

I'm going to hop in and also ask the reverse... do you think you'll lose distance off the tee by going hybrid than 3w? Reason is in another thread I think the majority of folks on there answered that they primarily use 3w to tee off more than off the deck.

i don't have a hybrid that's a similar loft to my 3w spank so i don't know, nor do i want one. i rarely hit 3w off the turf b/c i just don't need to. i'm not going for any green that's 230+ away from me.

Same here braski.

Well TC thats a great question! When I tee my 3w up, I rarely use a tee. I have a hard time hitting from the tee boxes with a tee'd up 3w. Basically I hit off the ground because it's just easier for me. So for me, off the tee it would help tremendously because it's essentially off the deck anyway. I can hit my 4i but I love my 4h a lot more. I think having the 1h would give me the 4h Im gonna replace, just better distance.
I think my issue with the 3W is that I swing for the fences too often and fail miserably. I went through a stretch this summer when it was really good for me and I was swinging pretty smooth.

That's a good question. I've heard people say that no high-ish handicapper should even consider it. An example for me would be a mishit drive (not into a bush) that leaves me really far out on a par 4. Normally, I pull out the 4h and try to get as close as possible since I'm confident in the club and generally am comfortable inside 100 yards. However, if I could find something that was easy to hit that could get me within 10-15 yards I would use it.

right, so i'm sure that the 15.5 mashie, compared to any 3w in that situation would be much more advantageous for you. and if you do hit the 3w further off the tee, it won't be by much. you've got some pretty neat stuff to ponder right now. pretty cool stuff.

so you have 2.0's now? awesome!

i honestly don't think i'll replace any 2.0 with any hybrid spank. i, for one, have never hit this amazing mashie so i don't know that i'm giving it a fair shot either. i hear, and have seen, nothing but good with it, so i just don't know. i can go from my 3w to my 2.0 3iron without any noticeable gap in the bag.

No I still don't have them yet but I'm future proofing my set. I just can't hit 3 iron for the life of me and when I finally decide to pull the trigger it might just be a 4-pw set.

not sure. I love that 5w. Guess I'd need some data to comapare the 2. the 5w is 19* so either the 18.5 or 20.5 could replace it I guess. now I have a quandry....
so the mashie will replace the 5w for you?

See that distance is normally money for my 3w. Its why Im so tempted to use it off the deck. Especially on Par 5's with no water. Or that one shot I had after I chipped out of a tree lol. I just felt the 3w was the right call.
i don't have a hybrid that's a similar loft to my 3w spank so i don't know, nor do i want one. i rarely hit 3w off the turf b/c i just don't need to. i'm not going for any green that's 230+ away from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back