Types of golf balls and your favorites?

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
Curious if money wasn't a factor, what would u game? What kinda knowledge do u have on golf balls?

My driver has a swingspeed right around 100-105, so i don't need the highest compression ball. My biggest goal off the tee is accuracy, I don't need 300 yard drives as much as I need fairways or lt rough. Those penalties off the tee can kill a round. My avg drive is 250, and when i really attack I can put it out there to 285, with my biggest power draw drives approaching 300.

For irons, i like something that has good backspin for firing at greens, but also is a mid compression ball. I swing slower around 85 mph, thinking tempo is what gives me good accuracy and distance. My 7 iron is 155-165. Mid trajectory with decent spin.

For wedges, i really like softer balls, I swing with some half pitches and some full swings so a high compression ball probably isn't too necessary for me . I do like green side spin- so i can hit my comfortable pitch from 50 that spins back a little. My 56 wedge at full is around 90. And my 60 is usually 70. But my last round with the spinner I was flying greens from the fairway to about 85 with my 60 degree.

Putting, i like soft balls, that don't click too loud, and just feel like they roll off the face true.

So that's my golf game, now on balls.

The 3 piece, 5 piece tour balls have the her compression that allows them to really hit the ball hard and send it far. A lower compression then is for slower swingspeeds that can't compress those hier compression balls like a pro v1, peov1x. Right?

And then you have your two piece balls that are a little cheaper and usually lower compression than a three piece and they usually don't have as much spin?

Curious i never really read up too much on balls other than the back of packaging.

I've games the Nike one this year, titleist nxt, bridgestone e-6, bridgestone 330-rxs, pro v1, srixon star yellow,. Atleast those are the ones I bought. I really love the e-6 from the tee, it gives me confidence that i won't out too much sidespin on em and I can hit em harder.

The bridgestone b330-rxs had the longest distance off the tee for me, but a little more left and right if i didn't hit it perfectly straight. Also that rxs into greens was sick. Loved the backspin it promotes.

But they are 43 a dozen, and I lose balls. So i get mad losing a 4 dollar ball... Oh well.. Just my thoughts, curious if you are a higher swingsoeed person what balls u love? And even if you are a lower swingspeed person what balls u like?

If u have one u like, why do you like it? What opinions do you have? And if u have ball knowledge feel free to share!

If money was no object I would play the ProV1x. I hit it farther then any other golf ball I've ever tried, and its response around the green is better then any other golf ball I've ever tried. In conclusion, I like the ProV1x better then any golf ball I've ever tried.

Sean- what is it u like best? Have you hit a b330rx? What do you play normally?

My normal driver swingspeed is in the upper teens for reference, my 7 iron is about 180ish yards.

The new Bridgestone 330 (that I can't buy yet but got to test) is a really good ball. I suspect the new B330-S is also worth giving a go. I also really love the Penta Ball. The Penta is GREAT around the greens, incredible spin. The B330 gives me a little more forgiveness off the tee than the Penta. Both the Penta and the B330 are really long off the tee. I've also played the ProV1X, Prov V1, Srixon Z Star and Z Star X. With money as no object, the Penta is hard to beat. On a windy day or with really fast fairways or slower greens, the B330 is my ball.

Thanks golf4life- those new brridgestone balls for tour speeds though? I forgot I bought a box of the pent as- like them on the green but they are the most erratic off the tee for me.

Thanks golf4life- those new brridgestone balls for tour speeds though? I forgot I bought a box of the pent as- like them on the green but they are the most erratic off the tee for me.

I think the B330 is more aimed at the 110+ mph range, but I belive the new B330-S is good for 105ish and up so may be suitable for you. I think its most like the B330RXS you already play but a bit less compression off the tee. I just love the Penta, but it does spin a little more than the Bridgestone ball off the tee making it a little more prone to hook or slice. But man, is it long when I nut it. You may want to try the Srixon Z Star too if you have not. Real nice around the greens, with medium compression, and available in the green for finding it when you do hit it wayward.

CG13 my game pretty much mirrors yours. Same swing speeds and distances although I'm probably a little less consistent especially with the driver. My all time favorite ball is the TP Red. That ball was just perfect in every way for me. I won't pay more than $35/dozen so the Titleist are out of the question. I tried the yellow E6 and liked it but the ball I'm sticking with right now is the E7. Longer distance off the tee and pretty nice spin going into the green. If you haven't tried it you should give it a go.

CG13 my game pretty much mirrors yours. Same swing speeds and distances although I'm probably a little less consistent especially with the driver. My all time favorite ball is the TP Red. That ball was just perfect in every way for me. I won't pay more than $35/dozen so the Titleist are out of the question. I tried the yellow E6 and liked it but the ball I'm sticking with right now is the E7. Longer distance off the tee and pretty nice spin going into the green. If you haven't tried it you should give it a go.

i'm quoting CL77's b/c my swing speed numbers are similar to both of yours. my driver ss avg hovers around 104-106 pretty consistently. i've tried everything and use to be a pretty die hard titleist nxt tour and zstar guy. i've always enjoyed how well both of them felt off the tee, but the nxt tour didn't spin enough and the zstar was too dang spinny, so one day i clicked on the huge bridgestone banner and went through the bfit program.

i was told that the b330rx would be good for me so i gave it a go. loved it off the tee and out of the fairway and i thought it was the perfect blend between nxt tour and zstar as far as spin characteristics so i stuck with it. i am with you guys though in that it's tough to pony up $45 for a dozen balls, so again, i called the bridgestone telephone number and spoke with elliot and told him that and he recommended the e5 for me. it's very, very similar to the rx for me, not quite as soft feeling but it has very similar all around characteristics, so it's my fall/winter ball.

Like Chunky and TC, my numbers are pretty similar. I've tried quite a few the past two years. B330-RX, e6, e7, B330-S, Gamer, Gamer V2, Chromax, Z-Star, Tri-Speed, Tour ix, HX Hot, HX Bite, Burner, Burner Tour, NXT Tour, NXT Extreme, Pro V1, and probably a few others. Some were better, some were worse.

I've also gone through Bridgestone fittings twice. Between the fittings and on-course experience I keep coming back to the Bridgestone e7. Compression runs between a B330-RX and B330-S, and it has a lower penetrating trajectory which helps with my high launch natural swing, and although not as straight as an e6 with the anti-sidespin core it's close for me and gives me more distance off the tee.

Prov1x or B330s. I hate paying for balls. When I find a deal I try to stock up. GPP Golf usually has a deal and that is when I buy balls. They had TP Reds awhile back for $20 dz and bought like 8 dozen. I think I still have 2 dozen left. I really hope they mark the 10' model of B330s down to $15 or $20 a dozen and I'll stock up again.

Friend told me about lostballs.com so I might have to check that out soon also.

I would give the new Burner TP (modell 2011) a try. It is a 3 piece ball.
I compared it to al lot of other balls (TP Red, e7, z-star, new Burner Tour, new Burner, e6, rxs..).
It is very long and forgiving off the driver. Feels like a softer tp red.
Short game / control is very good.

Last edited:
I like a ball that:

-I can compress to get the most distance off the tee.
-Isn't too spinny off the driver in the event that I lose is right.
-Is fairly spinny around the green. I play for roll-out on my chips, so it can't be too spinny.
-Don't really care about putting. I just don't notice that big of a difference unless we are talking the cheapest of the cheap rock balls.

For my game, I have two balls that work best. The e6 is probably the best off the tee for me. It's decent in terms of greenside/wedge shot spin, but not perfect. The B330-RX is close behind the e6 off the tee, but has much more spin into the green. Over the summer, I usually had both in the bag and when I wasn't feeling confident off the tee, the e6 was my ball of choice. When I was feeling good with the driver, I took the RX.

again, the stranger likes options
I like a ball that:

-I can compress to get the most distance off the tee.
-Isn't too spinny off the driver in the event that I lose is right.
-Is fairly spinny around the green. I play for roll-out on my chips, so it can't be too spinny.
-Don't really care about putting. I just don't notice that big of a difference unless we are talking the cheapest of the cheap rock balls.

For my game, I have two balls that work best. The e6 is probably the best off the tee for me. It's decent in terms of greenside/wedge shot spin, but not perfect. The B330-RX is close behind the e6 off the tee, but has much more spin into the green. Over the summer, I usually had both in the bag and when I wasn't feeling confident off the tee, the e6 was my ball of choice. When I was feeling good with the driver, I took the RX.

I have a few balls I play. I play a few because I went through a phase where I bought a ton. Lol. Anyway here is what I like:

Wilson Staff Zip: $10 a dozen and plays like my RX. A little softer and less spin though. I really like this ball.

B330 RX: Ummm AWESOME. Everything I love in a ball. Easy to compress and really fantastic around the green.

B330S: My swing has to be on for this guy but what a phenominal ball. SO straight for a spin, tour type ball.

Penta: Sick ball. Just not very durable. It's goes left and right a little more than the others though.

E6: Like the Zip but a little firmer to me and spins about the same. If there is any difference I can't tell. Plus it comes in orange.

I can't wait to just be playing the RX/E6/Zip by themselves. I have some ZStars I need to go through too. Just those 3 give me the best results.

My two balls of choice are the Bridgestone B330 and the Z★Star X. I like both off the tee and love them around the greens.

I would have to say the PROV1 and the Nike One Tour. I've played all of the premium balls out and to me these two just seem to work better for my game. I had picked up a dozen of the One Tours and loved how they played around and on the green. I've come to realize that for me off the tee really doesn't matter much and I honestly don't see much of a difference between all of the premium balls in this situation. At least nothing significant.

The prov1 has more spin on chip shots and the one tour just feels better to me off of the putter face. The one tour also stands up to abuse better.

Srixon Z Star. And at $30 a dozen Money isn't a problem.

If money was REALLY not an option. I'ld play the old Titelist Tour Balatas. I'ld probably need 7 sleeves to get through a round and I'ld light my cigars with $100 bills.

Great help fellas! I have not tried the e5 or e7, only the e6. I love the e6 off the driver but I find it lacking in my high approach shots that I like some backspin on. The b330rxs is my fav ball, but on the pricey end. I have games the nxt,not tour, and it's a good all around ball. I think it feels the worst off the putter and I really need confidence with the putter. So I think im going to schedule a practice session with a launch monitor see if i can compare some and find one that really sticks out. So ready for may!!!

The penta, without a doubt, i hit it long, straight, and it spins well around the greens. Since money is not an issue, the durability problems do not bother me.
Second would be the Nike one Tour. I found one the other day, and played a full nine with it. AWESOME golf ball.

Like Yoccos1981 I play the Wilson Zip ball. I love this ball, can really crush this ball but the hop and stop is not very well. I have found this ball is great in colder weather. When it's warm sunny , hot middle of summer I play the Pro V1x. for good disatnce, not much driver spin and the abbility to stop on the green.

I know everyone isn't a fan of refurbished balls, but you get the playability of a top ball (maybe a little less, but I'm far from Tour level lol) at a great price. It works great for me and I can't complain and it leaves me money to spend on clubs and gear! I'm gamed Z-Stars and B-330 and ProV1x and I can really say I prefer one over another.

My current ball of choice is the Nike Tour D, good off the tee and can withstand a couple wedge shots. I stocked up last X-mas when they were 29.99. I will probably be doing the same with the Z-star X this X-mas as they are the same price this year. I'd like to play the B330, but I'm not about to pony up 42 bucks for a dozen balls. So if/when they can be found for 29.99, please someone send me a PM :call-me:

My game has changed a lot over the course of this year... I have been playing Titleist NXT Tours almost exclusively for most of the year. I was losing a lot of balls, so getting a bucket of 100 NXT Tours for $60 was the way to go for me. But now I have much better control and am much more consistent. As a consequence, I am losing a lot less balls. So I think I am going to start trying some higher end balls and find a new one that fits my new game...

If money was no object I would play the ProV1x. I hit it farther then any other golf ball I've ever tried, and its response around the green is better then any other golf ball I've ever tried. In conclusion, I like the ProV1x better then any golf ball I've ever tried.

me too. But, always willing to try new balls. Currently testing the blind TaylorMade Test Ball.

I love the zip!!!!! Its such a great ball and at $10 a dozen its a steal.
Like Yoccos1981 I play the Wilson Zip ball. I love this ball, can really crush this ball but the hop and stop is not very well. I have found this ball is great in colder weather. When it's warm sunny , hot middle of summer I play the Pro V1x. for good disatnce, not much driver spin and the abbility to stop on the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back