Different types of grasses on the course

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
I have never paid much attention to what type of grass I play on or the way it effects my club while swinging. Just wanted to know the most common types of grasses you see in what areas and how they are different than others in terms of effecting the way you swing, how the ball comes out, thick rough, etc.. Just was curious about all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On greens: North you can see local rye, poa or bent. South you can see almost anything although bentgrass needs to be babied if you want it to stay pure.

bermuda grass is pretty prevalent in the south, makes the rough tougher to judge for flyers IMO.

I live in Louisiana and I don't know of a course around here that doesn't have Bermuda greens. The humidity here just doesn't work well with bent grass. I have played several bent grass greens in Myrtle Beach and a few other places, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to putt on those things. I'll take Bermuda any day of the week.

Mostly bentgrass around here, but there is some poa as well. Bentgrass makes a real nice looking green, but it can take a beating in high temps. Lots of courses had dead greens after a heat wave last summer.

When I go to Florida, I usually find myself digging a bit deeper until I get acclimated.

I live in Louisiana and I don't know of a course around here that doesn't have Bermuda greens. The humidity here just doesn't work well with bent grass. I have played several bent grass greens in Myrtle Beach and a few other places, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to putt on those things. I'll take Bermuda any day of the week.

I am in Louisiana as well and I have played a few courses local to Baton Rouge that have Tif Eagle grass for the greens. Not sure what the heck that is but I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference between it and the usual Bermuda grass greens you get around here..

bermuda grass is pretty prevalent in the south, but it's also a real tough grass (actually it's more like a weed). it's dang hard to kill and it requires less maintenance so it's fairly cost effective. most of the courses around here offer bent grass, even though my favorite course is bermuda. i pay little attention to the type of grass i'm putting on, perhaps that's why i suck at putting.

I was glad to get a "grain" lesson from JB at the outing. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first.

Ok thanks for the info!

What's the differences in putting on bent or bermuda grass?

Around here we have almost all bent grass greens. A few places like Bandon Dunes, Chambers Bay, have fescue greens. Most of our fairways are perennial ryegrass or Poa Annua, again with some courses such as the aforementioned having fescue fairways and tees. I have never played on Bermuda but I would love to see what it's all about.

We have a bunch of zoysia on the fariways and tees around here. For the climate, it is really the best to use. A few courses had bentgrass but have since changed. It is just too hard to keep it alive with the high heat and little rain during the summer. It doesn't take much to keep the zoysia going. Most of the greens around here are either bent or bermuda.

I love playing on the zoysia since you almost always have a great lie with the ball sitting up. If it is cut right, it is like playing on a sponge. I like playing on bentgrass as well, but don't care too much for the bermuda unless it completly grown in and green, which we don't get a lot of around here.

A lot of courses around here are zoysia. I love playing on bent though.

Ok thanks for the info!

What's the differences in putting on bent or bermuda grass?

Bermuda is much more affected by grain as it follows the sun so it can affect the spped you need to putt.(shiny down grain Dull into the grain). Bent is less grain affected and spped is more affected by slope and line. The course I grew up on in SoCal had Kikuyu grass which is very difficult to hit out of as it just grabs the club.

A few of the courses here in Vegas got Bermuda so they're brown and dormant right now. Its odd with that stuff. In the Rough, your ball will either sit up really well or bury itself in the stuff.

Which course do you play at?

My guess is most of the greens here in Texas are either bent or bermuda?

Cordillera Ranch....outside of Boerne. bent is tough to keep alive in the summers. I know A TON of courses that struggled this past summer. our nursery was working overtime this year.

but it putts sooooooooo well.

Back