Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype Irons

These are the irons I play with at the moment, and they hit just as good as they look. I hit some demos of these when callaway was set up at my course back in the summer and immediately went and got fitted for a set. I absolutely love them.
That's great to hear BHilton.:)

really surprised by this. my most frequent miss is off the toe and when I had the 2.0's I thought those misses were the straightest I'd ever seen
It surprised me too Hanks.

Darn, I wish they still made these. I'm no where near the skill level necessary to use clubs like this, but they're so good looking I'd buy them just to have in a few years.
Seriously, I can't think of any set of clubs as nice looking as these.

I let too many experts tell me that a player's iron wasn't for me, but I love the look of the Proto's, and this deal was too good to pass up. It turns out I should have listened to myself all along.

Glad to hear you stopped drinking that Kool-Aid....welcome to the Blade Side.

Wow...those are beauties !

This is a really odd thread. So blades are more forgiving and offer better distance then say, the Burner 2.0's? And tomorrow its going to be sunny and 80* here too.

awesome....want to skip out of work and go grab 18 then buddy? lol
This is a really odd thread. So blades are more forgiving and offer better distance then say, the Burner 2.0's? And tomorrow its going to be sunny and 80* here too.

awesome....want to skip out of work and go grab 18 then buddy? lol

With what Im reading in this thread sounds like I need to grab some blades first, like some TW VR Blades.

Glad to hear you stopped drinking that Kool-Aid....welcome to the Blade Side.

what kool-aid are you talking about? the burner 2.0 kool-aid?

what kool-aid are you talking about? the burner 2.0 kool-aid?

I think he means the GI or GE kool-aid. But Im curious too. I dont even like kool-aid.

because you're a serious golfer!
With what Im reading in this thread sounds like I need to grab some blades first, like some TW VR Blades.

Darn, I wish they still made these. I'm no where near the skill level necessary to use clubs like this, but they're so good looking I'd buy them just to have in a few years.
Seriously, I can't think of any set of clubs as nice looking as these.
I'm not supposed to have the skill level either RF. I found them on eBay. I've admired these clubs for a number of years and finally found a set that fit me.

callaway golf pre-owned might have them.

one of the guys I work with has had the protos for two seasons and wasn't too keen on changing irons to accommodate the groove rule....so our rep contacted CGP about the dilemma....they landed a set of CONFORMING protos in his specs from of all people.....Lee Jantzen.

they are BEAUTiES! the 3 iron had never been hit.
Callaway Preowned has a few sets: http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com...pe-irons/irons-ta-x-prototype,default,pd.html

Multiquote button doesn't bite :act-up:

More forgiving for me anyway, and better distance relative to loft. I wish I lived where you lived, it's only going to be 24º here tomorrow.

Sean, I am begging you to try the Multiquote button. I swear it does not release a poison or anything. Its located right next to the Reply with Quote!

Sean, I am begging you to try the Multiquote button. I swear it does not release a poison or anything. Its located right next to the Reply with Quote!
I just figured it out...sorry JB.

Burner 2.0 vs. Tour Authentic X-Prototype Round III

Burner 2.0 vs. Tour Authentic X-Prototype Round III

I went to the range this morning with samples of both sets of irons. I really tried to hit the 2.0's better then the X-Prototypes. However, I hit the X-Prototypes better and more consistently then the Burner 2.0's.

I can't get it in my head that I hit the X-Prototypes better because it has been drummed into me that someone of my ability shouldn't be able to hit the X-Prototypes at all. However, three times now that hasn't proved to be the case.

I hit the X-Prototypes better then I hit any game improvement iron I've ever hit. This flies in the face of conventional wisdom. How can this be?

b/c you are an enigma sean. you defy the laws of conventional wisdom. i am shocked at these findings but i'm glad you found the perfect iron set for yourself. i am shocked that the protos offer more forgiveness off the toe, i am shocked that they are longer and more consistent. i don't know what else to say. i never would've thought that something that comes as "proto", something that phil mickelson and ernie els play is more forgiving than the burner 2.0's.

thank you for sharing your findings.

Merged with the original thread on the irons.

b/c you are an enigma sean. you defy the laws of conventional wisdom. i am shocked at these findings but i'm glad you found the perfect iron set for yourself. i am shocked that the protos offer more forgiveness off the toe, i am shocked that they are longer and more consistent. i don't know what else to say. i never would've thought that something that comes as "proto", something that phil mickelson and ernie els play is more forgiving than the burner 2.0's.

thank you for sharing your findings.
You and me both brother. That's why I still keep going back and comparing the two sets. Did I miss shots with the Proto's? Sure. But the misses were less egregious. And, I hit more solid shots with the Proto's, including some very nice high, far, and straight 4-irons. I'm still having trouble believing it myself TC. Perhaps I should just accept it, have some faith in myself, and not worry about what the experts say.

You and me both brother. That's why I still keep going back and comparing the two sets. Did I miss shots with the Proto's? Sure. But the misses were less egregious. And, I hit more solid shots with the Proto's, including some very nice high, far, and straight 4-irons. I'm still having trouble believing it myself TC. Perhaps I should just accept it, have some faith in myself, and not worry about what the experts say.

that's what i would do. sometimes there just aren't explanations for things, they just happen. if i were you, i'd enjoy it, i wish i had the confidence to play those beauties.

I like this thread. You ogled a beautiful set of irons, and it turns out they work for you! I'd say a big part of what's going on here is confidence. When you start doubting (equipment, grip, swing, etc.) over the ball, you're thinking about everything except what you're supposed to be thinking about - The Swing. I picked up a Callaway 2007 X-Forged 6-iron when the pre-owned site was having their $10 sale. I did it mostly to see how different it was from my Dunlop starter set. After a couple sessions at the practice range, I was in love. Sweetspot hits felt so great, and mis-hits gave me all sorts of feedback which has helped improve my ball-striking. About a month or two later, I scored a good-condition used set off of Ebay and I couldn't be happier. I haven't hit the x-prototypes yet, but I fear that if I do, the same story might unfold and put a huge dent on my credit card!

Back