Under Armour Buying Acushnet?

I've wanted to see UA come out with golf shoes since they have just about every other sports covered in that dept. If this comes to pass might never see that as it would be competing against FJ. ...

I also find very interesting that a almost all the golf brands (most) are now being bought up by traditionnaly clothing companies. Adidas - Taylormade, Nike, Cobra-Puma, UA-Titleist...

No question about it. I think companies are realizing exactly where the money is. Or where it could be.

You're right JB, I think this great for the golf industry. We're talking major financial back-up with great marketing and sales experience from the major players in the clothing industry teaming up with the technology and engineering of the golf companies. It will stop companies for being complacent and possibly make newer technology more affordable

While Under Armour is readily available, they go by their own rules. Most retailers cannot set their prices or even put the items on sale without Under Armour giving the ok. While the purchase of Titleist may open the brand up to more retailers, I still believe it will remain a niche product. They could also just keep the same distribution channels as Titleist had previously.

thats my problem with them, I understand its business, but I just refuse to pay $70 for a golf shirt.

You're right JB, I think this great for the golf industry. We're talking major financial back-up with great marketing and sales experience from the major players in the clothing industry teaming up with the technology and engineering of the golf companies. It will stop companies for being complacent and possibly make newer technology more affordable

i tend to agree. it's nice to see all of the big players kind of competing against each other on all fronts. all it takes is for one of them to put out a wicked, affordable product, and it may force the other's hand a bit. as consumers in the know, b/c we are here, this is good for us in the long run.

let's face it, titleist could give a rats about golf equipment. they are a golf ball company that thrives off of that segment. perhaps things like this changes that and we see more and more attention placed towards the equipment side of things. although i doubt it. wishful thinking maybe.

Yeah maybe the AP3/4's won't be $999

im not against UA as long as they let titleist do their thing instead of UA interfering. not worried about clothing because i get nike and callaway for free but as far as clubs go, im a huge titleist fan and would have to see their reputation tampered with

im not against UA as long as they let titleist do their thing instead of UA interfering. not worried about clothing because i get nike and callaway for free but as far as clubs go, im a huge titleist fan and would have to see their reputation tampered with

what reputation is that? i see them as a golf ball company myself.

PM sent! I am a Large in most shirts...hehehe

I doubt they will tamper much. Titleist products will probably remain the same. It just gives UA instant credibility in the golf market. Sort of like you don't really see Adidas logos on the Taylormade equipement

what reputation is that? i see them as a golf ball company myself.

to each his own, but i have grown up on titleist and i know a few titleist employees in the clubmaking/design department. they are not only great people, but i feel like they have always made top notch products (minus a few lines). In my opinion, titleist has always been more of a traditional company that appeals to the better player. Not that titleist isnt available to anybody, but in my case i dont see many people without some game playing titleist clubs. i agree with you, the prov1 is huge, and thats what i play because i've "trusted my titleist" for about 5 or 6 years now and have continued to even though i have a lot of free choices through being a college player. to make a long story short, i revert to my previous statement that i dont mind UA at all, i actually like them and think it might be a good fit, as long as UA doesnt get too involved with titleist equipment

to each his own, but i have grown up on titleist and i know a few titleist employees in the clubmaking/design department. they are not only great people, but i feel like they have always made top notch products (minus a few lines). In my opinion, titleist has always been more of a traditional company that appeals to the better player. Not that titleist isnt available to anybody, but in my case i dont see many people without some game playing titleist clubs. i agree with you, the prov1 is huge, and thats what i play because i've "trusted my titleist" for about 5 or 6 years now and have continued to even though i have a lot of free choices through being a college player. to make a long story short, i revert to my previous statement that i dont mind UA at all, i actually like them and think it might be a good fit, as long as UA doesnt get too involved with titleist equipment

completely understandable as well. i have no beef with titleist or their products. i have enjoyed a few things in my day as well. i thought the 905 driver was phenomenal! i also think that they may be the slickest advertisers on the face of the golfing planet. i respect them for sure and wish them all the luck if this venture does indeed go down.

i just wish that they participated more w/the outings, lol

I could see them using the FJ connection to make a sportier version of a golf shoe. But most likely they will tie together. Will be interesting to see what happens with players like Fowler as I can't see Titleist players wearing something other than UA. Seem that the industry is seeing the benefits of their players being head to toe on company whether that be Nike, TMAG, and possibly UA Titleist.

completely understandable as well. i have no beef with titleist or their products. i have enjoyed a few things in my day as well. i thought the 905 driver was phenomenal! i also think that they may be the slickest advertisers on the face of the golfing planet. i respect them for sure and wish them all the luck if this venture does indeed go down.

i just wish that they participated more w/the outings, lol

haha i understand where you come from. titleist has always been quite fickle, a great example is the tiger woods video games. no titleist products. and in my area not to many country clubs carry titleist products in their proshop, that could be due to lack of coverage though

I can see Ray Lewis bashing victims with a Titleist now instead of those creepy space deodarant commercials.

Weird combo if you ask me...Titlesit and UA that is.

Some how I think that UA didnt buy Acushnet so they could screw around with Titleist. While we dont and probably will never know why its always about money and sales. Brand recognition too. I think its a good thing for both UA and golf in general. And maybe it even turns out to be a good thing for Titleist. Like, maybe they start sending clubs to the demo day. :)

I've wanted to see UA come out with golf shoes since they have just about every other sports covered in that dept. If this comes to pass might never see that as it would be competing against FJ. ...

I could see UA with a line that is sportier / hipper...competing with Adidas, Nike, Puma

I could see UA with a line that is sportier / hipper...competing with Adidas, Nike, Puma

That would be cool, FJ does kind of stick with the classic looking golf shoe.

I had to go check out UA's website for their golf stuff and Titleist's site for their's. It looks like the 2 companies would be a pretty good fit. UA should look into buying/employeeing some better designers though, surprised how boring their shirts are.

Hm, this would be interesting..... an UA Titleist combo

Introducing the NEW Vokey sweat wicking SW!
Also try our new Pro-V1 Coldgear, insulated balls for the northern golfer!!!

Wow! I'm kinda excited by this. I've been a little brand loyal to UA since their beginning. I don't know if it will influence any clubs into my bag but I like the ideas that this is bringing to the table. This would be kinda cool if it broke some of the barriers of what's available in stores.

Wow! I'm kinda excited by this. I've been a little brand loyal to UA since their beginning. I don't know if it will influence any clubs into my bag but I like the ideas that this is bringing to the table. This would be kinda cool if it broke some of the barriers of what's available in stores.

the clubs will now be moisture wicking

Regardless of who ends up owning Acushnet, I'll be curious as to how the new parent company will micro-manage Titleist. They have some funky rules related to volume when it comes to placing their product in a store/shop. The shop I deal with never carried Titleist until this year because they never could come to an agreement on how much Titleist inventory had to be onsite.

Ditto on the UA and Titleist being overpriced peas in a pod. But, I can't complain. I owned UA stock and it was vedy, vedy good to me. Supply and Demand is what it's all about. And the consumer likes both of 'em. Cha-ching!

the clubs will now be moisture wicking

That'd help out if someone happens to launch one into an adjacent pond.

This is just how I would see this working best (just my opinions off the top of my head)...

Titleist- UA would have to let this section operate as it does.

FootJoy- The clothing and shoes would be the more traditional/conservative brand.

UA golf- This is where the more modern/contemporary styling would have to come in. They still need to get some better designers.

If SC and/or Vokey isn't part of the deal UA could start making their ins into the club market with putters/wedges. There are many quality designers out there that could make a nice impact in these markets.

Of course, all of the various names would have their own accessory lines.

I think that would put the company in a strong position in every section of the market except maybe the entry level.

Back