Under Armour Buying Acushnet?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
super interesting! i wonder if this comes true? i also wonder if this means that acushnet products (mostly titleist) becomes more available in places like dick's?

Hm, this would be interesting..... an UA Titleist combo

I wonder if they would convince Hunter Mahan to go Titleist.

Wow. Thatd be an interesting combo to say the least. Might be a good way to get Stricker into some decent clothing too lol.

Wow! I can see all the Titleist "traditionalists" quivering at that rumor. I can't really see Steve Stricker yelling, "We must protect this house!".

This shows just how big Under Armour has gottn in a short amount of time.

Interesting to say the least. Only time will tell, but it is an interesting move.

t***y needs a little shake up... this could be interesting

Ua trying to get the older generation into some compression gear? hehe

Interesting idea, but I'm wondering if Under Armour has the money to pull this off. It would fit with Under Armour's plan to expand into new areas with their business, but would be interesting to say the least. Of the top of my head, the only guys I know on the pro tours that wear UA clothing are Hunter Mahan (Ping clubs), Robert Garrigus (Taylormade), and Ross Fisher (Titleist).

hmmm, one over priced company buys another

Wow! I can see all the Titleist "traditionalists" quivering at that rumor. I can't really see Steve Stricker yelling, "We must protect this house!".

Haha...I was thinking the same thing. Click clack.

This shows just how big Under Armour has gottn in a short amount of time.

I wouldn't say it's been a short amount of time. Underarmour has been in the niche althletic market for at least 12 years. While they are becoming bigtime- they have been around for a LONG time.

Tapatalking

I wouldn't say it's been a short amount of time. Underarmour has been in the niche althletic market for at least 12 years. While they are becoming bigtime- they have been around for a LONG time.

Tapatalking

i agree w/gus here and i can't help but wonder what under armours' presence in these "niche" markets could mean for the footjoy division. does this mean that we may see footjoy's in places like footlocker, etc.? could this be the way for footjoy to combat how stongly adidas has made a move on footwear in the past couple of years?

I understand that they have been around for 12 years. For me, they are a young company. Aschunet has been around for longer than 12 years. I am more suprised how a company who started be making tight fitting shirts for football players to wear under their pads got big enough to by Aschunet in a little over a decade.

I find this interesting and I think it's a great move for Under Armor. I've always been a fan of ua because they've been the small guy for a while. They found a place that the giants of the industry hadn't yet exploited. They're a Baltimore company that I've enjoyed watching grow and hope they continue.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

While Under Armour is readily available, they go by their own rules. Most retailers cannot set their prices or even put the items on sale without Under Armour giving the ok. While the purchase of Titleist may open the brand up to more retailers, I still believe it will remain a niche product. They could also just keep the same distribution channels as Titleist had previously.

I find this interesting and I think it's a great move for Under Armor. I've always been a fan of ua because they've been the small guy for a while. They found a place that the giants of the industry hadn't yet exploited. They're a Baltimore company that I've enjoyed watching grow and hope they continue.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

i remember when the mighty terps rocked the UA jerseys for the first time and guys like EJ Henderson were in the commercials for them.

While Under Armour is readily available, they go by their own rules. Most retailers cannot set their prices or even put the items on sale without Under Armour giving the ok.

That actually goes VERY well with the golf industry. Look at MAP pricing and how many stores have lost brands over violating that very rule.

I understand that they have been around for 12 years. For me, they are a young company. Aschunet has been around for longer than 12 years. I am more suprised how a company who started be making tight fitting shirts for football players to wear under their pads got big enough to by Aschunet in a little over a decade.

They started off making gym shorts, compression shorts, and loose fitting "tech" shirts. It was 2-3 years before their first cold gear came out.

Underarmor made it's name in lacrosse and has since transitioned to football. I have some brand loyalty to them simply because they made great stuff when no one else did. I am really interested to see how this works out though- in some ways it makes a lot of sense and in other ways I can't see it at all.

Tapatalking

That actually goes VERY well with the golf industry. Look at MAP pricing and how many stores have lost brands over violating that very rule.

exactly! it's why it's tough to find titleist and ping golf clubs in many of the big box stores (at least around here)

I also find very interesting that a almost all the golf brands (most) are now being bought up by traditionnaly clothing companies. Adidas - Taylormade, Nike, Cobra-Puma, UA-Titleist...

Back