The High Cost of "Premium" Putters

Hoosier,

I agree that people spending money thinking that newer or more expensive will lower their scores is incorrect thinking. But I do think that just because somebody buys a new club in order to help their game, it isn't a bad thing. It is bad if they haven't done their research or the sales guy at the golf shop just wanted to make a sale.

Bluegold if you boil the first post I made that you commented on down to its least common denominator, all I was saying is that someone looking to game a new putter should buy what feels best to him, not me, not Lefty, not Tiger not anybody but him and then work like heck on his putting game. At the end of the day buying what feels best to him and then working hard at his putting game will yield a better result than spending a ton of money on a putter that did not feel best to him and then hoping for magic. If an expensive putter feels best to this hypothetical golfer then if he can afford it and he wants it....go for it. However I would still think he would be kidding himself if he thought his putting would improve without working at it.

In addition if there is one thing I point out often here in discussions of putters, there is as much "technology" and maybe more in designing and building a putter that feels good to a high percentage of golfers while not employing the most costly materials or processes. The newest of something does not necessarily have to bear the highest price. It might but that might be driven by market dynamics as opposed to material, labor, SG and A and Overhead.

Its all relative anyway. To some a Mills or a NEAD or a Lajosi might be a costly putter but to some a Mills or a NEAD might be considered a relative bargain when compared to some of the stuff coming out of the Scotty Studio.

I do agree J. Buying something because that's what Tiger plays, or DJ plays is a problem if the goal is to be a better golfer. I know too many people who bought Scotty's because "They're Scotty Camerons. The best putters on the market." We know the inherent faults in that logic. I bet the people who think that the Newport is the cat's meow putt the same with a Cleveland Classic 1.

I just hate having equipment purchases being put down with "It's not the arrows, it's the Indian." Bugs the hell out of me.

While that may be the case, there are many new technologies that come each and every year that CAN help golfers. I have NEVER found a hybrid that works for me like a new one this year. I was NEVER able to hit a driver until a new shaft company made something that appears perfect for my swing. Those two things are new, and expensive, and some could say I was BUYING my game. And it worked. The swing will always matter more than the equipment, but it is not black and white in my opinion.

JB, I pretty much agree. But we all know someone that just keeps spending and spending with the hope the next new "great" club to hit the market will be the one.
I think the OEM's in many cases have pushed this idea that you need the latest new club every year (no matter the price) and people buy into this. It is what keeps the OEM's alive.
I have always been the type of person that doesn't change equipment often and I never feel the urge to run out and buy new clubs as soon as they hit the market. If I change it is because I have played a demo for weeks knowing with out a doubt it will help my game.
I just feel the same way about putters. I see nothing wrong with anyone buying a custom handmade tour putter, after all it is their money, but I also feel you do not have to spend that kind of money to be a good putter or play good golf. The high dollar putter does not make a difference in the wrong hands.
The only way to be better at golf is, have clubs that fit you, work with a qualified teacher and work hard. High dollar equipment won't do it alone. That is my only point.

I do agree J. Buying something because that's what Tiger plays, or DJ plays is a problem if the goal is to be a better golfer. I know too many people who bought Scotty's because "They're Scotty Camerons. The best putters on the market." We know the inherent faults in that logic. I bet the people who think that the Newport is the cat's meow putt the same with a Cleveland Classic 1.

I just hate having equipment purchases being put down with "It's not the arrows, it's the Indian." Bugs the hell out of me.

I do play once in a while with a guy that is no better than a 20 handicap. He has all of the latest clubs, new and expensive, including a Cameron. I would often laugh a little everytime he shows up with yet another new putter or a new $500 driver, that he can't hit a fairway with.
So, I asked him one day if he really thought this new expensive equipment was going to make him better. He looked me in the eye and smiled as he said, I am what I am. I know I will never be any good at the game, but I just enjoy being here with you guys and playing. He went on to say that he could afford the equipment (which I knew).
It hit me that day that people play for different reasons, and while most of us are working to be better, not everyone cares that much.

I do feel sorry for those that are trying to get better, but doing it only by spending money. That is the people I feel sorry for and they are the ones that need to be told that it is OK to spend money on clubs, just make sure they are the right clubs.

I got a Newport because it was the putter that Stan Utley recommends and I wanted to give Utley as much of a chance at improving my putting as possible. I have committed my entire winter's putting practice to emulating Utley and his recommendations as closely as possible now however with one exception. The Newport just does not feel right to me and regardless of the fact that Utley likes it, I simply cannot make heads or tails of that putter. So I am really trying harder than ever to adopt his approach to putting in all respects other than in the putter itself.

Utley really does not try to rationalize his choice that much at least from what I can tell. The only real comment I can make in that regard is that the original Newport or at least the three button Newport has no sight lines or dots and Utley likes that. He is a big proponent of a very "natural" flow to the putting stroke and I guess he does not want a sight line or a sight dot to deter someone from making the kind of stroke he wants us to make. While I am a minimalist in that regard I still like to have either one sight line or one sight dot. The lack of anything on the Newport is not my biggest complaint with that putter, not by a long shot.

I do feel sorry for those that are trying to get better, but doing it only by spending money. That is the people I feel sorry for and they are the ones that need to be told that it is OK to spend money on clubs, just make sure they are the right clubs.

Quoted for truth. I agree 100%.

JB, I pretty much agree. But we all know someone that just keeps spending and spending with the hope the next new "great" club to hit the market will be the one.
I think the OEM's in many cases have pushed this idea that you need the latest new club every year (no matter the price) and people buy into this. It is what keeps the OEM's alive.
I have always been the type of person that doesn't change equipment often and I never feel the urge to run out and buy new clubs as soon as they hit the market. If I change it is because I have played a demo for weeks knowing with out a doubt it will help my game.
I just feel the same way about putters. I see nothing wrong with anyone buying a custom handmade tour putter, after all it is their money, but I also feel you do not have to spend that kind of money to be a good putter or play good golf. The high dollar putter does not make a difference in the wrong hands.
The only way to be better at golf is, have clubs that fit you, work with a qualified teacher and work hard. High dollar equipment won't do it alone. That is my only point.

I do play once in a while with a guy that is no better than a 20 handicap. He has all of the latest clubs, new and expensive, including a Cameron. I would often laugh a little everytime he shows up with yet another new putter or a new $500 driver, that he can't hit a fairway with.
So, I asked him one day if he really thought this new expensive equipment was going to make him better. He looked me in the eye and smiled as he said, I am what I am. I know I will never be any good at the game, but I just enjoy being here with you guys and playing. He went on to say that he could afford the equipment (which I knew).
It hit me that day that people play for different reasons, and while most of us are working to be better, not everyone cares that much.

While I agree in theory, who are we to say what one person should be doing. For every person that feels bad for someone because they want the latest and the greatest, there is another person that feels bad for someone because they are brand loyalists, dress crappy, dress nicely, etc, etc, etc. The truth is, there really is no reason to even look what is in someone else's bag. Why do we care? Because despite what we all say, it does matter for some strange reason. We want to beat the person that has the latest and the greatest and show them that it is our game that matters more than the gear.

We hear it all the time that people get so upset with the golf industry marketing and how someone has to have the latest each year. How is that different than every other industry?

Last edited:
If I may jump in.
We hear it all the time that people get so upset with the golf industry marketing and how someone has to have the latest each year. How is that different than every other industry?
I don't think it is at all. It's the same in almost every industry. Video gaming for example where they churn out a new game in a franchise every year/other year with basically a different backdrop. The Call of Duty franchise, now in it's 7th iteration (owned by Activision) and Guitar hero franchise in it's 6th (aslo Activision) for example.
Golf companies and video game publishers as a few examples have a cash cow, and they're going to milk it for all it's worth. That's just the way it is in modern society.

TLDR; In a nutshell, why are OEM's charging so much for their equipment? Because they can. They look at their dempgraphics and see that there is a signifigant portion of their target market which can and will pay for their product. . It's a sad truth, but it's the truth none the less.

yep some of us enjoy the game despite our scores
but on spending money to get better.
It's part of the equation.
Not necessarily through buying new equipment but lessons,range time,training aids, greens fees.
You don't get better without hitting a lot of balls and a lot of shots and unless you are very lucky you have to pay to do that.
just my 2 cents.

No difference at all. Manufacturers make products and market those products by convincing us that we need them for whatever reason. I just happen to be the type of person that pays little attention to advertising. I feel very lucky that I don't have the desire or the urge to own the latest of anything.
My G5 irons are nearly 6 years old and all of my putters are at least 15 years old, most are 25 years old. I drive a 2007 Mountaineer and more than likely will not trade it in for a couple more years. I'm typing this on a 4 year old laptop but I did just buy a new home pc replacing one 6 years old, but only out of necessity. My house is 40 years old and I have lived in it for 22 years with no plans of moving. I think I like seeing my money in the bank more than anything I guess.
In the end we are all different. We like and want different things. I agree that todays technology in golf is great and is changing all the time, but before I spend the money, I need to know what that technology is going to do for me.
When you read stories about a guy that used 6 sets of irons last season, or bought 6 different drivers, you have to really wonder don't you?

When you read stories about a guy that used 6 sets of irons last season, or bought 6 different drivers, you have to really wonder don't you?

I don't wonder at all. Guess I don't pay that much attention to what someone else has. Hell I drive a 2002 4 Runner, or 2000 Chev PU and typing on a 4 yo laptop, but I'll buy several new putters this year. I love them!

20+ years ago when my wife started to play golf, I took her to a golf store to get a new putter. I told her that she could get any putter she wanted. She tried several putters out. She picked out a ping anser which at the time was the most expensive putter at around $95!!!!! Her whole set only cost around $200!! Well, when she lost interest in golf (I know, can you believe it??) that putter found a home in my bag. I use it to this day!!!

Part of the joy of golf and THP, to me, is learning and sharing. By trying a ton of different putters, some rather cheap while others were some what expensive I have found a lot about my wants and needs on the green. I would never say that a person needs to spend a lot of money to be a good putter, but I do believe they should experiment some to see what works best for them. Hell, I've tried a lot of set's of irons and sold the most expensive set I ever had to play exclusively with the cheapest set a person can buy. They work for me.

Right now I game the putter in the middle pictured below, Slotline. I bought this used from forum member Couldbeu pretty cheap, but it's one heck of a putter I can assure everyone.

P1030280.jpg

This summer when the greens shed their snow I'll be trying this one out, my new Nead SaP09. If it works better I'll use it.

100_0107.jpg

But, how cool would it be to have this in my stable of stars as well? T.P. Mills

HeritageMudBack.jpg

Or this beauty? Nead Hand Made #9

Picture029.png

Since when can't a person buy something just because they like it?

Reactions: JR
Here is a question.

If you, like me, are disgusted by the high price of some putters, do you see custom or limited editions in the same light? I mean, Neads, Lajosi's, and TP Mills aren't exactly cheap.

Personally, I think it is very differenf, and cannot be frowned upon, as you are basically commisioning a work of art, and are getting the original, not a reprint. If that makes any sense.

Why be disgusted by the cost of a putter? An expensive putter may be what one person needs/wants inorder to make their game better.

Here is a question.

If you, like me, are disgusted by the high price of some putters, do you see custom or limited editions in the same light? I mean, Neads, Lajosi's, and TP Mills aren't exactly cheap.

Personally, I think it is very differenf, and cannot be frowned upon, as you are basically commisioning a work of art, and are getting the original, not a reprint. If that makes any sense.

If I understand the question correctly the answer is no. I guess I'm not disgusted by the price of some putters. If it's more than I want to pay, as some above are, I don't buy it, but someone else will. The market really dictates the price. Limited and custom's should be more expensive than the average mass produced on the market unless they have something very special to change all that.

Why be disgusted by the cost of a putter? An expensive putter may be what one person needs/wants inorder to make their game better.

Because they can obviously be made cheaper. A Scotty Cameron may well be the perfect putter for ones game, but inexusable overpricing puts them out of reach for most.
Are they limited editions? NO.
Are they hand made? NO
Is he making more money than he can spend off them? YES.

There is no reason a steel headed, steel shafted putter should cost more than 150 dollars, unless it is hand made/ special edition/ custom. Am I wrong? And it aint just SC, I am talking about all of them, from Odyssey to Ping, there is simply no sense in it.

I guess to me it is one and the same to other mysteries in golf like die hard brand loyalty. I never understand the reasons people buy and purchase a lot of equipment either by one brand or change gear every month. But if it gives them even the slightest bit of confidence edge, and they can afford to do it, I say have at it as long as you are not harming your game.

There is no reason a steel headed, steel shafted putter should cost more than 150 dollars, unless it is hand made/ special edition/ custom. Am I wrong? And it aint just SC, I am talking about all of them, from Odyssey to Ping, there is simply no sense in it.

Scotty Cameron is in business to make money, and he is. The market supports the price tag on his putters. If not a lot of people bought his putters, he would change his philosophy.

Scotty Cameron is in business to make money, and he is. The market supports the price tag on his putters. If not a lot of people bought his putters, he would change his philosophy.

You're right. Which is why I wish SC Fanboys would wake the heck up. But I am just ranting, forgive me.

Because they can obviously be made cheaper. A Scotty Cameron may well be the perfect putter for ones game, but inexusable overpricing puts them out of reach for most.
Are they limited editions? NO.
Are they hand made? NO

That really sounds like a congressional Democrate, lol. No offense buddy, but what's wrong with making money if you can? SC makes a ton of money and while I won't own one, I don't begrudge that a lot of his product line is out of my reach, I just don't buy them. But, plenty of people do so he is able to charge what he wants. The market set's his prices, it's supply and demand 101.

Although it's unfortunate w the gambler incident, can ya blame him for everything else he does? Everything the man touches turns to gold and is craved by thousands.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

Aggro,
My question to you is, do you like luxury cars? Would you prefer a Lexus over a Toyota, an Acura over a Honda, or Infiniti over a Nissan? All of these share many same components, but offer luxury features. Why? Because they use different materials and the market dictates that some prefer these things. They are not for everybody and for those that prefer a consumer and cost friendly model, there are the formers. Just like with putters.

Although it's unfortunate w the gambler incident, can ya blame him for everything else he does? Everything the man touches turns to gold and is craved by thousands.

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

You may want to recheck that statement and compare his "original" designs with what "turns to gold". Many of his original designs have not done so well.

Back