new irons for my wife, advice needed

MacJones

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all, I'm looking for advice on new irons for my wife, she has been using a john letters set which she had when she first started playing around 19-20 months ago.
I feel she now needs to start using better clubs to continue to improve, she can hit well off the tee with her driver and can hit well off the fairways, they dont go very far but there mostly straight.
She is around 5 ft 3 and would need graphite shafts. If you can give me a name of some clubs which you are very happy with then I can at least arrange for her to try some out at our local golf shops.
Every time I go into a shop and ask an assistant for advice I always feel like there pushing a particular make, maybe there not but I feel it, I want to stay away now from the complete woman specific club sets that shops are trying to sell me, and will just buy the irons 1st then complete the rest of the bag with equipment she can try out at the range and feels comfortable with.

I read reviews on the callaway solaire set but too many ppl said they had problems with the shafts cracking and driver/wood heads flying off so I wont look at those.

Have you read the reviews on the home page? Quite a few ladies sets have been reviewed. Has she tried any clubs out?

i'll have a look for the reviews, and no, she hasnt tried any out yet, i wanted to get some feedback before I check where she can try any.

Just make sure she gets properly fitted. I played ladies flex (assumed that was what I needed) for a couple years until I kept being told they were too weak for me. I switched to a standard senior flex and then finally got fitted to my G15 irons by my coach. I was fitted between senior and regular flex. Makes a huge difference!

One good starting point is simply to let her try a whole different bunch of clubs. Go find an outdoor range attached to a course or a shop.
Course pro shops usually have a bunch of 6-irons for trial, plus maybe other clubs. Might sturggle for ladies tho.....
Or find one of the American Golf Discount or Nevada Bob's etc that have an outdoor range. The nearest one that I know of to you is the golf centre at the Trafford Park, West Manchester (north end of the Trafford Park commercial centre, there is a multideck driving range and a big golf shop attached to it).

I can only give some help on what Jenn has tried and liked, but it's different for everyone. At the outing she hit Wilson Staff Di9's, Ping Faith, Nike Machspeeds, and the Callaway Solaires. The Nike was her favorite with the Callaway's coming in 2nd. After we left the outing she has since demoed the Callaway Diablo Edge irons, X22's, Taylormade Burner and Burner Plus Irons. She still favors the Machspeeds, with I believe the Diablo Edge set coming in 2nd. She still has not made a change from her Adams irons.

I won these in the Holiday Cheer contest;
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?15890-Holiday-Cheer-Day-11-%96-Adams-Ladies-a7OS-8-Piece-Iron-Set

They are on TGW and GG for $700
http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/13675/refScid/1092/sattr0/Gender/sattrVal0/ladies

I'd be willing to sell for $500 if interested, let me know gonna put on eBay or CL soon, nice looking clubs i just have no use for them...

Have you listed them in the marketplace section? If you throw them up in there you may get some offers.

Hi there MacJones - I have the Adams A7OS ladies irons that I like, but for Christmas I just received the Cleveland HB3 irons. I was a bit reluctant for the HB3 Irons, b/c they are really chunky - but man they really do hit themselves. I'm not a long hitter and a few times with my 6 iron I hit that bad boy 150 yards, which is REALLY long for me. My swing speed is about 75 (low 70s on the "nice and easy" mental shots) so I fit right in with a ladies flex (I'm border line but I likes ladies flex better). I'm also 5' 3" (or just under that) and have average size hands for my height, which = small hands, so I prefer a ladies grip too.

I'd say try to get out and have your wife hit the 6 irons. TaylorMade for me is always "eh" (I demo all the ladies 6 irons that come through our shop), Mizuno was pretty good when they made a ladies set, and Adams is pretty good. I also like the Callaways (we don't carry them - so I don't use them, but I did demo them). I found that some of the clubs I tried, even though they are all game improvement irons, were more difficult to hit. She'll probably find the same thing. If she gets the same distance/results, she also might decide to buy on looks. Oh - and I'd also say although a launch monitor is very helpful, just going to hit them should let her get the feel of the clubs, should you be unable to locate a store that has a monitor.

GOOD LUCK! Hope she has fun buying some new sticks!

thanks all for your replies, they have all been helpfull, I will arange for her to demo some clubs soon when the weather gets a little warmer.

Definitely need to get fitted. I started off with the Wilson Hope set, it was more of a starter set. But after a year of playing and lessons, I got fit for the Callaways. They're in the women's flex which is just perfect for me. I really REALLY wanted the TaylorMade Burners, but after blindly hitting with the Callaways, TaylorMade, Nike and the Pings, I couldn't hit the TaylorMade at all, and was more consistent with the Callaways X22s that I have.

Definitely need to get fitted. I started off with the Wilson Hope set, it was more of a starter set. But after a year of playing and lessons, I got fit for the Callaways. They're in the women's flex which is just perfect for me. I really REALLY wanted the TaylorMade Burners, but after blindly hitting with the Callaways, TaylorMade, Nike and the Pings, I couldn't hit the TaylorMade at all, and was more consistent with the Callaways X22s that I have.

Your bag has gone through a complete transformation during the season GC

Back